Thread: Utah Soon to be the Next Constitutional Carry State

Utah Soon to be the Next Constitutional Carry State

This idea was pitched before and almost passed but Herbert vetoed it. But now that a new Gov is in town it's time to make it happen.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/1/...cond-amendment
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Candidly, it was scary enough with the near non-existent requirements to get a concealed carry permit. How many thousands with a permit that had never loaded a handgun, let alone fired it. Now you add to the madness by having every swinging dick carrying a loaded gun. I've never been afraid of confronting a "bad guy", but I have sure as hell been worried about a dozen folks concealed carrying spraying-praying near me..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

4. Likes double moo liked this post
    ^^^The Constitution and Bill of Rights was never about safety and saving lives... so there is that.

6. Likes BruteForce, oldno7 liked this post
    In principal, I can see the benefit of this as moving closer to the letter of the law of #2A. But in practice, will it change anything? Those without w/o permit, either by choice or restricted persons, are going to carry concealed anyway. And as Bruteforce mentions, permit holders aren’t verified or tested on any weapon handling or manipulation, laws and scenario responses.

Other than getting liberals out those opposed to this up in arms crying the sky is falling, and the vast majority of those that advocate for this already have a permit anyway, what sites this change? Except now, if I’m caught with a concealed weapon for any reason, and I don’t have my permit on my person, I won’t be in as much trouble.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

8. Likes BruteForce liked this post
    Seriously?!? What does this change?

Other than restoring your Constitutional Rights as written and intended not a damn thing.

You are still failing to understand the reasoning and concepts of the Constitution and Bill of Rights as the founding fathers intended. You are also still failing to understand it's not about safety and saving lives. You are also failing to understand how your Constitutional Rights have been slowly eroded over the years.

The Constitution might be the greatest document ever written, and before the ink was even dry some were trying to erase it.

10. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    FWIW - Utah's Constitutional carry law as proposed will only be valid in Utah for Utah residents.

Utah's current CCW allows you to carry in 38 other states that recognize the Utah permit. So there is still a good reason to obtain a Utah CCW.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Other than restoring your Constitutional Rights as written and intended not a damn thing.

You are still failing to understand the reasoning and concepts of the Constitution and Bill of Rights as the founding fathers intended. You are also still failing to understand it's not about safety and saving lives. You are also failing to understand how your Constitutional Rights have been slowly eroded over the years.

The Constitution might be the greatest document ever written, and before the ink was even dry some were trying to erase it.
    Asking the governments permission for any inalienable right, sure reeks of freedom...

NOT
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

My reference to 'In principal....' was referencing and pointing to all of what you stated. I was simply asking in practice of everyday law, and daily practice in the population - what does this change?

I didn't intend to be casual about the Constitution or BOR. Any swing back to the original intent and application of those documents I am in complete support of, no matter how small. This law change does walk back in that direction, albeit a very small low hanging fruit application of it. But, in this day of lust for big government control, we'll take what ever victory we can get. I'm just honestly asking what actual daily practice changes this will make.

If we really want to move back to the original intent and practice of the #2A, making big strides that will help in daily practice by the population will be huge, like getting rid of the NFA. But, I know I am just dreaming on that front.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

14. Likes BruteForce, oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    My reference to 'In principal....' was referencing and pointing to all of what you stated. I was simply asking in practice of everyday law, and daily practice in the population - what does this change?

In the big picture of every day life it doesn't change much... the general population will do their very best to follow the law and criminals will continue to ignore it.

Our rights were slowly eroded over the years. Probably the only way we'll get them back is slowly over the years... but we can always hope for one big chunk.

16. Likes Byron, BasinCruiser liked this post
    I wonder when "gun laws" really became the thing? We all know that a little more than 100 years ago you could carry around any damn weapon you wanted.

The way I see it...the bad guys are gonna get their guns no matter what...so the good guys should at least be allowed to shoot back, and hopefully they know how to shoot straight.

Training? Certification? Yeah, anybody with half a brain will take firearm training and practice as a matter of course...but there's a friggin' dipshit born every minute. You can lead a horse to water, right? Common sense isn't so common with a lot of people. So be it...every man for himself.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

18. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I wonder when "gun laws" really became the thing? We all know that a little more than 100 years ago you could carry around any damn weapon you wanted.

Kennedys assaination was the catalyst of the most comprehensive firearms laws. It resulted in the Gun Control Act of 1968.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_Co...68?wprov=sfla1

20. Likes oldno7 liked this post