Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monolith in unnamed SE Utah canyon

^^^Nice, JMan...that's kind of what I suspected all along. The 4x4 crowd might venture out there but you're going to see very few Moab tourists venture out there. It's just too much time and work. Easier to just hike up Powerhouse or cruise around Sand Flats.

Curious when the BLM is going to remove it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yeah, good ole Diesel Dave from Diesel Brothers. I wonder what its like to be quite rich and fly a helicopter straight there. And I think maybe 1/2 of those people there are his henchmen and not tourists. The location was spilled publicly yesterday. Sure, others have guessed it before but I have my reservations about people "randomly" finding it.

It took me about 3-4 hours searching on Google Earth and eventually found the area. And I know Moab quite well. But it was difficult. Most non-Google earth people are not just going to find it. Even Google Earth savy people like myself (and Udink) is going to spend more just a few mins looking at it.

So, people are saying that it is a very popular trail, etc. and on Backcountrypost.com someone even said that they were "1/2 mile away from it! just the other day". I call BS on all of that. I mapped out the entire route from the monolith to main street in Moab and it was 41 miles. And maybe 35 miles of that is dirt road. And tough dirt roads at that. And when I was tracing out the "road", I didn't see a single vehicle on the road. Way back on Kane Creek road I saw lots of vehicles, but not one way out in Lockhart Basin. You would need a dirtbike, SxS, or pretty heavily modified Jeep getting there. LOL no subarus will be getting there. In fact, it may be even faster to hike from the Needles Lookout to the monolith, but it would be quite the adventure scaling those cliffs!

Oh yeah....plus, the distance and time in getting to the monolith from Moab. So if you are going 20 miles hour (average) it's going to take you two full hours to drive there! And 20 miles and hour is pretty fast on a challenging, rock filled road. Most SxS and Jeeps aint' got no time for that. They rather spend their time close to town and tourists so they can rev their engine super loud and look cool. Let's be honest, the urban Side by Sides are not going out too far, more than 5 miles. They NEED to show off their $20K vehicle. They aren't going to get it dirty. eww....dirt. LOL oh...my disdain for urban SxS and nightime SxS drivers.

Anyway,

Here's a pic from my Google Earth path that I drew out that shows the 41 miles of roads getting there.

Attachment 95805
    The dirt road coming in from the south (off Highway 211) is much shorter and is easy 2WD high-clearance. And, yes, @IntrepidXJ really did drive right past it on the Lockhart Basin Road last weekend.
    Blog | FB

4. Likes Glenn, xjblue, Sombeech liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ^^^Nice, JMan...that's kind of what I suspected all along. The 4x4 crowd might venture out there but you're going to see very few Moab tourists venture out there. It's just too much time and work. Easier to just hike up Powerhouse or cruise around Sand Flats.

Curious when the BLM is going to remove it.
    Thanks!

Also, to answer your question, I just got done watching HeavyD's youtube video on it when he arrived there was two dude's already there (who took the two hour drive) and two BLM rangers. In his video HeavyD said that the rangers where asking the people there what they would like to see happen to it - whether to keep it or remove it. Everyone said to keep it...but who knows what will actually happen in the end. I think the drive alone will deter most everyone. Although I am waiting for a Subaru to get there.
    You can see that part here in this video starting around 11:30 min.

https://youtu.be/U63zicCAQIk?t=695

Also, if you watch the entire video, HeavyD contradicts himself I noticed. In the beginning he talked about how HE discovered it using flight data from the DPS flight, but later in the video when he meets up with the guy already there, he asks "how'd you guys found it?" And the guy replies back that "we found the coordinates on.....BLEEP(CENSORED in video)..." and then HeavyD replies "so did I ! ...yeah, that guy did a damn fine job finding it". Hmm.

So he claims that he himself found it earlier, but here in the video he admits that everyone found it online due to a guy finding it and posting it." My guess the "censored" part in the video is because the guy said "reddit". And on the reddit forum, a guy posted the coordinates there. And HeavyD looks like he is part of the reddit crowd, so I'm pretty sure in my assumption that's exactly what happened. He followed the Reddit thread, found the coordinates online that someone else found and claimed he found it. The "Brodozer" cult needs to stop.

I digress...

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes Glenn, Sombeech liked this post
    Ha ha yeah those guys love to be involved with any media drama. Just a couple of months ago with the missing girl in north Ogden, he brought his helicopter up, flew around just making a big scene and accomplished nothing but a big mess. That whole story about the missing girl is another big mess, all kinds of holes in the story but that's for another thread.

My buddy Dave and I were driving back over the pass from biking and it was chaos up there. 10 drones I the air, 2 helicopters, and a thousand people searching for a girl that was never lost.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    The dirt road coming in from the south (off Highway 211) is much shorter and is easy 2WD high-clearance. And, yes, @IntrepidXJ really did drive right past it on the Lockhart Basin Road last weekend.
    Oh yes, the other way way down there. We explored Lockhart years ago in Jeeps and we came to a wash that you had to ford and it was super muddy and couldn't get out of it, so we had to turn back around. Guess that wash dried up now? Since we couldn't get past that spot we did the Kane Creek approach down to Lockhart. Good to know that most high-clearance vehicles will be able to make it now. Guess I'll need to revisit that road again. And if that road was as easy as you claimed, then that makes sense that your friend was out and about out there. Because the other way via Kane Creek, I was thinking no way...

And I mapped out on Google Earth from the 211 turnoff and it only shows 16.5 miles. But, the distance from Moab is where that 2 hr drive kicks in.

The blue route is the 211 route. Red route is Kane Ceek.

Name:  Highway 211 Path.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  131.7 KB
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Was just going to say that the road on the south end of it is a lot easier drive. It's a long way from anywhere though so that might keep the crowds down a bit. Who knows.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Ha ha yeah those guys love to be involved with any media drama. Just a couple of months ago with the missing girl in north Ogden, he brought his helicopter up, flew around just making a big scene and accomplished nothing but a big mess. That whole story about the missing girl is another big mess, all kinds of holes in the story but that's for another thread.

My buddy Dave and I were driving back over the pass from biking and it was chaos up there. 10 drones I the air, 2 helicopters, and a thousand people searching for a girl that was never lost.
    Oh yeah. I saw your FB drama all about that too . I haven't kept up with that story but what was the end result? Runaway?

I mean I get it...you're a guy in your 30s that started with a decent mechanic store...rose to instant internet and tv celebrity. Have tons of sponsors and throwing money at you. But in the end. He's just bored...and rich. His henchmen show him these cool places and he uses his money and influence to get it done. And it works. But he has an end-goal. He wants to get 10 MILLION subscribers on his youtube channel. That's crazy! That's so much.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    So my run up/back to Elephant Hill this weekend is likely going to be a zoo. I guess we'll see the monolith since its just a few miles North..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

The Monolith...I'm mostly interested in it's construction.

My best guess is that it's plywood wrapped with aluminum sheeting...hollow inside and filled at least a third the way up with rocks and sand to keep it from blowing over. Also, it looks like the guy that put it there may have used a hammer and chisel to plan it in the slick rock...probably smashed out a couple inches.

In other words, good enough for the wind...but give it a good kick and over it goes.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  75.2 KB
    Oh, my...is this the actual "God of Bogley" paying us a visit? If it is...thanks for letting us run rampant around here.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Error

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Name:  IMG_1618.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  75.2 KB
    What is the blue pyramid in it's place?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    What is the blue pyramid in it's place?
    https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/11/...t-obelisk-has/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    So we stayed in Monticello Fri-Sunday. We visited the Monolith Friday and Saturday. We couldn't care about seeing the actual structure so much as watching the chaos ensue as hundreds of vehicles raced each other down the trail. There's no parking lot, so you can only imagine how cars, SxS's, ATV's and even motorcycles parked adjacent the trail.

We had a running bet that started Thursday. 1) Would it be vandalized <yes, it was by Friday afternoon>, 2) would it be shot up <no, we saw no bullet holes>, 3) would it be toppled <it was worn badly, but still standing, and 4) would it be gone <not on Friday, but it was by SAT morning>

I had drone video, but alas, my drone went nuts Sunday afternoon while I was trying to overfly the Gordon Creek train bridge and it crashed into the cliff above the bridge..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

20. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Name:  4E17DCCB-955E-46F0-BA6C-9A1A07639BAB.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  19.4 KB
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

22. Likes Sombeech, oldno7 liked this post

24. Likes oldno7 liked this post

26. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

28. Likes rockgremlin liked this post