Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monolith in unnamed SE Utah canyon

Monolith in unnamed SE Utah canyon

Anyone got ideas of where this might be?

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-...ushpmg00000067

Falls into the "cool.. not cool" debate maybe, but definitely intriguing.

-Glenn

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I reckon it's probably somewhere near Moab...probably close to a road. Also, it's likely already been found and removed by some tree hugging nut...or perhaps been blasted with graffiti.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    @Udink has already located it..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

^^^This^^^

From Udink: About half a mile walk, with a few ups-and-downs but about 75% in a dry wash.

A photo in this article showed enough background to help narrow it down. It still took me about an hour to locate it. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/utah-...b6e4b1ea44e81e

6. Likes Glenn liked this post
    Blog Entries
    I've been doing some quick searches in Google Earth based off of Udinks photo above along with information that it's about a 1/3 mile walk from a dirt road....

Anyway it looks like it *may* be off of Lockhart basin road or Chicken Corner Safari route is my guess. I'll keep looking.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Yep...like I said, somewhere near Moab. Had to be. And I bet some four wheelers planted it there, not hikers or backpackers.

If there's any more than 3 people out there who know who planted it...it'll get out. Just a matter of time.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Blog Entries
    Yup found it. Yes, I guessed the area right too. :)

Anyway, I just saw that Google Maps has placemark for it and sure enough..."giant metal slab".

Here's a pic:

Name:  giant metal slab.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  66.1 KB
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

10. Likes Glenn liked this post

12. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Yup found it. Yes, I guessed the area right too. :)

Anyway, I just saw that Google Maps has placemark for it and sure enough..."giant metal slab".

Here's a pic:

Name:  giant metal slab.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  66.1 KB
    That's interesting. The "giant metal slab" is gone from Google Maps now. lol
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

14. Likes stefan liked this post
    That's interesting. The "giant metal slab" is gone from Google Maps now. lol

I posted the coordinates to my Climb-Utah Facebook page and the hate mail is flooding in.....

16. Likes Glenn, oldno7 liked this post
    Gave your page a follow just because you did that.

And the google reviews are rolling in. All of them in the last 3 hours. The secret is out...
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Si...661782!9m1!1b1

Oh gimme a break...

Like the average weekend warrior is gonna go out there anyway - that thing is hell and gone on dirt roads. Most folks will stick with Arches or Sand Flats.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I was going to be in that area this Saturday anyway, guess I'll be stopping by for a selfie!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

21. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    At first I wasn't really interested in the Monolith, but as it gathers more media attention it has dragged me in wanting to know where, what and why... we now have the where.

I also know it showed up on Google Earth between 8/2015 and 10/2016, so it's been there a while.

Blog Entries
    I’ve noticed the same thing with my friends too. One friend said he was even “obsessed” about it in so much that he IS going down there before everyone converges in the coming weeks. He says he has a bad case of FOMO (fear of missing out) going on, especially as it was mystery, no one knew it’s location for a bit, wants to see it before it’s removed etc.

I imagine others are getting that same urge.

The BLM says they are not interested but my guess is that it will be removed in the near future as more and more shine it’s light on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The person that put it there is crapping their pants now

The BLM says they are not interested but my guess is that it will be removed in the near future as more and more shine it’s light on it.
    I'm sure restrictions will be made soon, parking will be a mess on that small road. Just wait until it hits Instagram, it might be there already.

Just like those canals out near Wendover with the super blue salty water, people saw a post on Instagram and then dozens of people started parking on the side of the freeway, inflating their Stand Up Paddleboards, kayaks and taking them into this canal for the Instagram shots. This all happened within about 2 weeks before a public statement was made. EDIT, but then again, that was different, next to the interstate causing traffic jams, possible accidents. Who knows, but the crowds are already down there as of now.

It's BLM down there but I imagine something will come up, some kind of public notice. I wouldn't be surprised if the original creator or artist comes forward out of guilt, apologizing for the public spectacle and/or any injuries that occurred finding it.

Hopefully the cellular data is ok right there for the Instagram posts.

26. Likes Glenn, BruteForce liked this post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yeah, good ole Diesel Dave from Diesel Brothers. I wonder what its like to be quite rich and fly a helicopter straight there. And I think maybe 1/2 of those people there are his henchmen and not tourists. The location was spilled publicly yesterday. Sure, others have guessed it before but I have my reservations about people "randomly" finding it.

It took me about 3-4 hours searching on Google Earth and eventually found the area. And I know Moab quite well. But it was difficult. Most non-Google earth people are not just going to find it. Even Google Earth savy people like myself (and Udink) is going to spend more just a few mins looking at it.

So, people are saying that it is a very popular trail, etc. and on Backcountrypost.com someone even said that they were "1/2 mile away from it! just the other day". I call BS on all of that. I mapped out the entire route from the monolith to main street in Moab and it was 41 miles. And maybe 35 miles of that is dirt road. And tough dirt roads at that. And when I was tracing out the "road", I didn't see a single vehicle on the road. Way back on Kane Creek road I saw lots of vehicles, but not one way out in Lockhart Basin. You would need a dirtbike, SxS, or pretty heavily modified Jeep getting there. LOL no subarus will be getting there. In fact, it may be even faster to hike from the Needles Lookout to the monolith, but it would be quite the adventure scaling those cliffs!

Oh yeah....plus, the distance and time in getting to the monolith from Moab. So if you are going 20 miles hour (average) it's going to take you two full hours to drive there! And 20 miles and hour is pretty fast on a challenging, rock filled road. Most SxS and Jeeps aint' got no time for that. They rather spend their time close to town and tourists so they can rev their engine super loud and look cool. Let's be honest, the urban Side by Sides are not going out too far, more than 5 miles. They NEED to show off their $20K vehicle. They aren't going to get it dirty. eww....dirt. LOL oh...my disdain for urban SxS and nightime SxS drivers.

Anyway,

Here's a pic from my Google Earth path that I drew out that shows the 41 miles of roads getting there.

Name:  monolith path.jpg
Views: 1605
Size:  99.9 KB
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

29. Likes Glenn, rockgremlin liked this post