Thread: Hike to Horseshoe Canyon and the Great Gallery

Blog Entries

Hike to Horseshoe Canyon and the Great Gallery

My brother recently travelled to Horseshoe Canyon as he is a petro/pictograph junky and created a trip report video. If I do say so myself - It's pretty good!

I haven't been myself but it is on my list in the upcoming years.

It's about 10 minutes long FYI.

https://youtu.be/P8DlnSpakdY
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. Likes Bob, Sombeech, HamRover liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a great video! Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there for almost 10 years, but my parents were just there a few weeks ago. I'm feeling like it's time I need to get back out there again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. Likes jman liked this post
    It's quite unique...and although I've seen a million petro/pictographs, this place has a real "spiritual" kinda feel to it. Coming from a guy who isn't "spiritual" at all.

Other interesting ones are out near the Grand Canyon...there are some in the western end to look like the artists were on a heavy acid trip. Also, there is a pictograph in Snake Gulch of a Kokopelli with a hard on squirting out little humans.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

7. Likes HamRover liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HamRover View Post
    That's a great video! Thanks for sharing. I haven't been there for almost 10 years, but my parents were just there a few weeks ago. I'm feeling like it's time I need to get back out there again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I’ll pass on your sentiments.

I think it would be great to link up BlueJohn canyon and few other technical canyons in the Roost and explore more of Horsehoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

9. Likes HamRover liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    It's quite unique...and although I've seen a million petro/pictographs, this place has a real "spiritual" kinda feel to it. Coming from a guy who isn't "spiritual" at all.

Other interesting ones are out near the Grand Canyon...there are some in the western end to look like the artists were on a heavy acid trip. Also, there is a pictograph in Snake Gulch of a Kokopelli with a hard on squirting out little humans.
    I mean there is one pictograph labeled “the Holy Ghost” there.

It’s crazy just to think about how humans lived there (without our advances in technology) thousands of years before is there and created so many scenes and memories or other acid trip rock art

Snake Gulch? Is that one in Escalante?

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post

Snake Gulch? Is that one in Escalante?

No...it's a very long canyon off the western end of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...drains into Kanab Creek. Full of ruins and rock art.

12. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    No...it's a very long canyon off the western end of the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...drains into Kanab Creek. Full of ruins and rock art.
    Thanks!

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

Snake Gulch is on the maps. Drop in from its southern rim, near Table Rock, that gets you closer to the pictos etc.. Or ride your horse in from the regular trailhead, to avoid a long walk..

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    Snake Gulch is on the maps. Drop in from its southern rim, near Table Rock, that gets you closer to the pictos etc.. Or ride your horse in from the regular trailhead, to avoid a long walk..
    Yeah, that's what I've done. There's a road along the south rim that goes to a dead end...camped there and just went right over the side into the canyon and the good stuff is right in that area...upcanyon. You're right...it's a long hike from the big forest service road.

Yeah, that's what I've done. There's a road along the south rim that goes to a dead end...camped there and just went right over the side into the canyon and the good stuff is right in that area...upcanyon. You're right...it's a long hike from the big forest service road.
    There are four really awesome panels in Horseshoe Canyon. If you come in from the south and only visit the Great Gallery you're really missing out. It's not like it's a really long hike from the North TH as it's only 3.75 miles each way and there is good stuff to see the entire way.

17. Likes kiwi_outdoors liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    There are four really awesome panels in Horseshoe Canyon. If you come in from the south and only visit the Great Gallery you're really missing out. It's not like it's a really long hike from the North TH as it's only 3.75 miles each way and there is good stuff to see the entire way.
    We were talking about Snake Gulch...a tributary of Kanab Creek down by the Grand Canyon. The road I mentioned leads out to Willow Point...you drop into the canyon from there to see the best of the ruins and such...otherwise it's a really long hike from the "normal" trailhead at the FS road at Big Springs.

Any you're right about the panels in Horseshoe...there's also other smaller ones up and down the canyon.

19. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    How much of that 3.75 miles each way is sandy walking?

It's been a while but about half if I remember correctly. I don't remember the sand ever being an issue, but I've always done the hike in winter.

Unless you catch it in the winter or after a rain storm, it is a lot of soft sand walking. Several years ago I did the Blue John - Horseshoe Canyon loop. It was great.
    Life is Good