Thread: Uintas Trip Sun and Snow

Uintas Trip Sun and Snow

Winter is coming and it sucks.

Here are 2 shots about 18 hours apart, near the Manor Lands entrance in the Uinta Mountains, just south of Evanston, or evingston

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lily Lake

The Man Trip cabin, tradition for 17 years

Lakes are freezing over

Very nice. Justin, I have a question for you regarding drones. I'm going to be doing quite a bit more travel (camping) starting next year with this new truck camper I'm getting and I was thinking a drone would be great to have...considering I'll be out in the boonies for days at a time and one of those things would be great for getting an aerial view of the lay of the land that's nearby. Google maps is fine but I'm not always going to be in a spot that has coverage and I don't want to hassle with preloading maps as God only knows where I'll be one week to the next.

So anyway...I looked around a bit and it seems that I'll be spending anywhere from $700 to a grand to get a good one. I'm not going to be using it for professional purposes, just flying it around near my camp spot as a sort of scout for hikes or interesting features to hike to...so it doesn't have to be a kick ass unit. At the same time I don't want to buy some lightweight POS.

Got any recommendations?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

5. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    I would recommend the DJI Mavic Air 2. It's probably my next drone.

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-air-2

And I would highly recommend getting the "fly more" package, mainly for the extra batteries. Many times you will fly up with your 1 battery and realize you should have saved it for a different location or shot.

The "refresh" package is basically insurance. That's your call, I've never used it, but I've also been super aware of my surroundings when flying, so I'm not backing into a rock and crash.

This drone folds up and packs very small, great for packing around.

It's great to take a quick look at an area you thought you might explore, fly 2 miles away and decide it's occupied or whatever, save yourself some time.

7. Likes Byron, oldno7 liked this post
    Excellent. Thank you, sir. The extra insider info is immensely helpful, too...now I don't have to bounce those options around.

Yep, using it for trail recon is an outstanding idea...you're on a rough road and you'd like to take a look at what's up ahead. That alone makes it worth the price of admission...done deal.

I'll make it a X-mas present to myself.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

9. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    It's great to take a quick look at an area you thought you might explore, fly 2 miles away and decide it's occupied or whatever, save yourself some time.
    2 miles? That's amazing.

Hiking over mountain passes over the years, the winds can be fierce. 70 mph gusts, 40 sustained, etc.

Not that you'd launch expecting that, but what speeds, if they gust up, can these things handle?

11. Likes BasinCruiser, rockgremlin liked this post
    What a great place to travel! I remember how we fished there 2 years ago. Unfortunately, we didn't have a quadrocopter at the time, so we couldn't see the landscape from a bird's-eye view. Thank you for sharing your notes and photos; I didn't think it would be so beautiful. Next year I want to try something much more exotic than Lily Lake. We decided to find something like this -- https://www.natureswonderlandsafaris.com/safaris/kenya-birding-safaris/ -- since we had been on safari once (and liked it), and I want to see exotic birds. This time I will definitely buy a quadrocopter and shoot similar videos.

13. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbel66 View Post
    Those are really great shots
    +1

Wheres beech?

cmon man....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    +1

Wheres beech?

cmon man....
    I know right? Why the disappearing act?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.