Thread: Buying a Generator - what functions do you look for?

Buying a Generator - what functions do you look for?

I've put this off long enough, it's time to buy a generator. What do you guys look for, what certain functions and features?

I do like the smaller generators that I can carry around from place to place, but what would you suggest? Noise? Multiple power outlets? A certain power threshold? Electric start?

Is it worth buying a smaller one to carry it around easier, or should I go for a larger model with wheels, do you really move it around that much?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My expected uses..... some camping trips would be nice, but not all, only the car camping spots.

And after the recent power outage this year, it would be nice to have a few things powered up if it goes out again, some folks were out of power for a week. Most of the time this will just sit in my garage or the back porch

Look at the ones made by Honda. I've done a lot of research into truck/RV type camping and while a lot of people use solar, many carry a portable generator to run the AC or when the sun hasn't worked too well. The Honda EU2200 is quite popular...I've read lots of reviews about it being pretty bulletproof. It seems to be the generator of choice for campers.

Look around and you'll see Youtube vids of people doing comparisons with other models. Mostly what I've been looking at are the hardcore backcountry 4X4 guys that take these with them. It's likely the one I'll be buying.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

5. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Look at the ones made by Honda. I've done a lot of research into truck/RV type camping and while a lot of people use solar, many carry a portable generator to run the AC or when the sun hasn't worked too well. The Honda EU2200 is quite popular...I've read lots of reviews about it being pretty bulletproof. It seems to be the generator of choice for campers.

Look around and you'll see Youtube vids of people doing comparisons with other models. Mostly what I've been looking at are the hardcore backcountry 4X4 guys that take these with them. It's likely the one I'll be buying.
    And with the EU2200 you can link 2 together for 4400 watts, a nice feature if your considering running a refrigerator or other appliances in an outage, 2200 doesn't get you much, appliance wise.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

The EU2200 is probably the go to for most people. Great for charging batteries, running a few lights, small appliances.. Starting amps are the killer for any generator. oldno7 has the right idea.
    Tying into your home grid is another whole ball of wax. Make sure you get a good electrician if you are thinking about doing that.

I would also suggest 2 small that you can link together instead of 1 large. I'm using the briggs and stratton quiet models and they have worked well. I've also had the yamaha and honda quiet verstions.

The briggs are less than half the cost of hondas and have just as good of reviews. We own multiple ones with no issues

Consider a tri fuel model. Gasoline, propane, nat gas. The nat gas option to hook to your house for extended op in a power outage. There are conversion kits available for single fuel gens.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post