Thread: 9/5/2020 - Canyoneering Bear Canyon (near Cedar City)

Blog Entries

9/5/2020 - Canyoneering Bear Canyon (near Cedar City)

Long story short: I located a slot-canyon near Cedar City that looked like it had canyoneering potential. After much research, I reached out to the property owner if they would be interested in us exploring it. Come to find out, they let a few people in the previous years descend it, including installing bolts in the walls. (Come to find out it was a guide from Springdale outfitter (not from ZAC) who rudely sent a real-estate team around 10pm at night to buy the property for them....which was not for sale. Then a few months later, let that guide go in, take a look and bolted the canyon. (I suspect some individuals have done this canyon before, but mum's the word since they did via trespassing - Amiright or amiright?)

It's a great little canyon that has that remote feeling you are looking for but has the Zion feel. While the canyon is 1/3 mile in length, it features a flowing stream (except for in "dry years"), even in late summer, that flows over 7 rappels (up to 130 feet!). There is about a mile approach, along with a mile and half exit hike out.The owner has graciously allowed others to visit here, but ONLY in late summer and to competent canyoneers. This canyon is remote and rescue is not likely for MANY hours (as it is steep-terrain and contains a nasty bushwhack at the end). Wetsuits are always recommended as part of the canyon is deep, dark, and cold. It's also *possible* there could be some swimming depending on water levels and conditions.

Please email the property owner: lowerbasinlife@gmail.com for calendar availability, permission, and directions to this pretty cool canyon!The property owner's land, time, and resources in getting you here must be respected otherwise access (and this video) can disappear and you will be trespassing. 100% of this canyon, including the ingress and egress routes are on the property. (In fact, to even reach here, you will need the property owner to open up two gates so that your vehicle can access their land).

https://youtu.be/l5ikDrg3GUw

Interesting Notes: the property owner said that this canyon was being poached as early as 2012. He was pretty surprised that some people would go to such lengths to reach it (going through two locked gates for vehicles), miles of walking, etc. Then I told him that he shouldn't underestimate us canyoneers. LOL.

I asked him what his long term goals are of the canyon, and he said that he would like some entity to buy a "conservation easement" which would allow the public to descend it, or even backpack through it to Kolob Arch via La Verkin Creek, so if you have any connections to the echelons at Zion National Park, please let them know that this would be a great investment for the public. But I digress...

Anyway, enjoy the canyon while you can! Definitely a neat little canyon, especially at the end!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very cool canyon, thanks for the share.

Looks very Zion-esque.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes jman liked this post
    Had the property owners ever descended their own canyon? Crazy to think that they might have had no idea what was waiting down in there for who knows how long.

Superb video...as always!

6. Likes jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

9/5/2020 - Canyoneering Bear Canyon (near Cedar City)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Had the property owners ever descended their own canyon? Crazy to think that they might have had no idea what was waiting down in there for who knows how long.

Superb video...as always!
    No actually, until maybe two years ago. I was quite surprised too.

They said their parents homesteaded the area back in the early 1900s and has been in their family ever since.

They knew it was there but not what was inside except for a cool looking slot canyon, as they lacked the technical skills they said.

Then that’s when the person from a guiding service in Springdale showed up late one night (10:30pm) at their house buy that property one random day. They said no and told them to get off their property. A year later or so the guide came back and offered to bolt the canyon and take their family through which they obliged too. That was their only time through the canyon and loved every minute.

They said that they would be more than willing to let people descend the canyon of people just asked them. Go figure.

I gave them some pointers on what to expect from us crazy canyoneers and our culture; took 4K drone videos of the canyon; created mileage maps of the ingress, canyon, and egress; explained that having SAR go through it may be a good idea; have every single person sign a waiver; etc.

Hopefully it can stay open for years to come and let others experience it too.

And thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post