Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Independance Day

Independance Day

Happy Independence Day! I hope all my Bogley friends enjoy today in this free and amazing country. Remember if you let the government cancel or shut down all your plans, you are totally missing the meaning of this day.

Just a small bit of history that seems appropriate for today... the American war for independence was fought during a smallpox epidemic.

Now I'm off to Wyoming Downs to enjoy some good old fashion American horse racing.

2. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gotta go with a 3-6-9 $1 trifecta in the 4th. Corona special.

Happy 4th y’all! Let freedom ring. How are you spending it? We will be lighting off an entire truck bed full of illegal fireworks from Wyoming.

6. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    ^^^Basically gonna do the same thing here.

BBQ and fireworks.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Betting on the ponies at Wyoming Downs with friends and family.

Independance Day

Just getting started with the baby stuff. That pile of boxes is what he needs to work through. Lol

Get friggin' rad! Here outside my place it's like WWlll. Been a while since everyone when this apeshit. It's all "illegal", too!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

11. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Get friggin' rad! Here outside my place it's like WWlll. Been a while since everyone when this apeshit. It's all "illegal", too!
    Same here. Entire neighborhood sounds like a friggin war zone. Just barely died off completely about 30 minutes ago.

I couldn't believe the west side of Denver. Absolutely nuts. Looking toward downtown Denver was insane. The silent majority became vocal for a night. 10x last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Happy Independance Day!
    Typical Yankees...you get rid of us Brits but you still can't spell your own day of celebration!

To be fair, we were glad to get rid of you. We now don't have the Mexican border issue and the China crisis, and we have retained the correct English language.

Take care all

Rob

15. Likes jman, rockgremlin liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    Typical Yankees...you get rid of us Brits but you still can't spell your own day of celebration!

To be fair, we were glad to get rid of you. We now don't have the Mexican border issue and the China crisis, and we have retained the correct English language.

Take care all

Rob
    Who are you calling a Yankee??!!

Never regret anything that made you smile!

To @Rob L's post -- I really wonder how the British would have handled the slavery issue?

Let's assume the Yanks lost the Revolutionary War, and the British retained control over the lands in North America... Would slavery even have existed at all, or would the British have squashed it early on?

Quote Originally Posted by savanna3313 View Post
    Who are you calling a Yankee??!!

FWIW - outside the US all Americans are Yanks.

Look up the history of the word "Yankee"... it's pretty interesting.

I'm currently reading Bill O'Reilly's book "Killing England". It's a great and entertaining read that details the American War for Independence from both the American and English point of view. If you have never read one of O'Reilly's Killing series books you are missing out. I have read them all.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1627790640..._clMaFb2YXHDVB

20. Likes savanna3313 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    To @Rob L's post -- I really wonder how the British would have handled the slavery issue?

Let's assume the Yanks lost the Revolutionary War, and the British retained control over the lands in North America... Would slavery even have existed at all, or would the British have squashed it early on?
    I remember reading something about this...the Brits weren't very favorable to slavery. I think they outlawed it in many of their colonies. I think they were doing this decades before 1776 happened. I think they were following an example left by the Dutch?

My memory. I'll look that up, tonite. Unless Rob wants to enlighten us about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post

To be fair, we were glad to get rid of you.

Rob
    In reality, you should have stuck around. The time to ditch us would be right about now.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    We were up on the mountain, just under I-70 and about 7 miles west of the Fremont Indian Museum (off Clear Creek Road). Total silence. Absolute bliss. The tree canopy blocked my SAT signal, so we were blissfully without TV for 4 days. Morning temps in the high 40's, daytime temps in the low 80's. Was awesome to get away from city life and the fireworks! Glad to come home to a house NOT burned down! :)
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

24. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    FWIW - outside the US all Americans are Yanks.

Look up the history of the word "Yankee"... it's pretty interesting.
    Yes.....I know.

But, south of the Mason Dixon line, a Yankee is a northern traveler who comes down South for a visit. A damn Yankee is one who comes for a visit and stays (and in my family's case, marries your sister!)
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

-
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

Hi @rockgremlin:
    I doubt it.
    William Wilberforce (1759-1833) was a great British anti-slavery campaigner, to the extent that he stopped the British trade in slaves almost single-handedly. I have to confess that I don't know when slavery abolitionists got going in the USA.
    That link I post above is really worth a read.

Slavery was rife in the British Empire back then; not so much for the labour on British soil, but that many slavery sea-faring ships were British, particularly from Africa to the West & East Indies (which were both British colonies). The sale of human slaves was very common all around the world back then by most of the (then) Empirical nations...Britain, Portugal, France, Spain and indeed the aspiring American nation. Don't forget that the Chinese and Japanese also had their own slave trades back then, but with their own countrymen! There was HUGE profit in the selling of slaves.

I'm not ashamed of the British involvement in the slave trade (because I wasn't there) and be assured it's nothing I am proud of. But it's part of our (and my) history that needs to be preserved and taught for and to future generations, so that it doesn't get repeated.

Rob

27. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin liked this post
    I remember reading something about this...the Brits weren't very favorable to slavery. I think they outlawed it in many of their colonies. I think they were doing this decades before 1776 happened. I think they were following an example left by the Dutch?

My memory. I'll look that up, tonite. Unless Rob wants to enlighten us about that.
    Byron, I hope my last post to rockgremlin has helped?

I'm not very knowledgeable on either British or American slavery history, so please research away! (It might be an education for me!)

Thanks,
    Rob

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum