Thread: What Do You Use to Video

What Do You Use to Video

For those that make video's of their outdoor adventures, I'm wondering what your go to set up is at this time.

I'll start.. I used to use my Sony RX10iv. I liked it as it took great video and has a _huge_ zoom. However, holding it all day long and trying to keep such an expensive camera safe was a huge pain. I then switched over to the Canon G7X. This camera does a ton of stuff for such a small package but the price tag was equally high. Also, I _hated_ the auto lens cover. Any whiff of sand or debri and it locks up.

I then switched over the GoPro Hero 7 Black and never looked back. I finally managed to pick up the external mic adaptor as well as a GREAT case that holds the camera and the adaptor. Place it on a 6' Big Stick selfie stick and I'm all set. I like the higher fps for effects and the stabilization can't be beat. I can beat the heck out of it as the case takes the punishment and the outer lens cover can be replaced. Having a linier setting was a must have... I HATE the fish eye look! Just ruins a good adventure video. About the only drawback to the Hero7 is its battery life. However, this is to be expected with such a small 4K camera. However, batteries are inexpensive and it is nice that a USB C power back can be plugged in on the fly. I also carry a 3 battery charger with USB C port and can charger the batteries in that with a power pack as well.

Name:  20200604_190004.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  20200604_190103.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  20200604_185829.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  50.6 KB

Right now I'm eyeing the Insta360 One R. I used the Samsung 360 when it came out but the resolution was never very good and the editing was very difficult. I like that the Insta360 has a plug in 360 module and a 4K sport camera module as well. You can pop either one into the same housing. While it records in wide angle, ity appears that it is easy enough to remove using their editor (which is needed to render the native video file). However, I worry that the quality is still lacking. I'm always looking for the perfect all in one video camera.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I have a large combination of GoPro and Akaso 4k cameras. Of late, those are supplemented with my DJI Mavic Air drone @4k..
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Akaso 4k cameras.
    From your post I looked at the Akaso's. I'm guessing the video quality is pretty good? I'll need to keep them in mind in case I need to put a camera in a risky place.

I did pull the trigger on the Insta360. I like the idea of being able to mount is on my car and pan to a different angle in post. I also like the idea of being able to do that, say, when rappelling. The two big drawbacks about 360 cameras is the resolution and the editing time.

I'm trying _really_ hard not to buy more equipment and instead get out and create some video. I've found that fancy equipment in the outdoors does not usually mix well.

I have an original GoPro and it still works great. But the Hero 6 Blacks are currently dirt cheap so I've been thinking of getting one. The Hero Black 8 is nice but really more then I care to spend on something I stand a good chance of losing... anyhoo... thoughts? Is the 8 worth triple the cost of a 6? And remember I still think the original works great... what do I want to buy?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I really like the Akaso camera's. Exceptional video & photo quality, voice activated via the remote control and a ton of stabilization options built in.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

School me on Akaso. Which one do I want? It appears all my GoPro mounts are interchangeable?

For comparison the Hero 6 I was looking at was about $150.

I've had just about every camera setup through the past 15 years, the best one is where you don't have to be overly protective of it, it can get wet, maybe tip over off of a rock and still be ok, and not be out a thousand bucks. I've had a camcorder taped to my helmet, then moved to the camcorder (video tape and all) enclosed in my backpack with the cable for the helmet camera coming up the back of my neck. Then a waterproof still camera with a video mode, screwed onto my helmet with a tripod mount. But when GoPro came out, that was it.

GoPro has done a fantastic job of this, being rugged, just about the right field of view for action shots, and small enough to not worry about bumping it. It's very easy to take group selfies too. Most of my best, outstanding photos have actually been still frames from a GoPro video.

I never put my GoPro in photo mode though. If I want a photo, I record in video and take the screenshot of the exact frame that I want.

GoPro will lack the zoom capability, and won't be very good for shots of more than about 40' away. I think this is where the cell phone camera will excel.

At 4k with 60 fps, and also the 360 degree models, it's hard to miss the shot now with a GoPro. The only weakness is forgetting to turn it on.

And one more thing, with phones now shooting in 4k and 60fps, even new 8k video on its way, a phone is hard to beat. Most of them are water resistant too and easy to warranty if it gets beat up. But with a phone you need to hold it, which will get in the way in some of your actions. The great advantage to a phone is you won't need to take the SD card out, plug it into your computer and render through a video editing software. It's ready to cut on the phone and upload right there, unless you want to mix it with other shots.

I'm literally editing video 6 nights a week, from Drone, GoPro and phone. For adventures, the GoPro is hard to beat, and the phone is a solid alternative now, the video quality is superb nowadays.

Video is kind of my second job
    https://www.instagram.com/justin_mcvideo/

9. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have an original GoPro and it still works great. But the Hero 6 Blacks are currently dirt cheap so I've been thinking of getting one. The Hero Black 8 is nice but really more then I care to spend on something I stand a good chance of losing... anyhoo... thoughts? Is the 8 worth triple the cost of a 6? And remember I still think the original works great... what do I want to buy?
    I don't like that the Hero 8's lens cannot be removed and replaced. Break it and you are buying a new camera. Prior to the 8 it was a simple lens to replace. I've always avoided GoPros in the past but finally went with the 7 as it had a big stabilization improvement (Hypersmooth). From the comparisons between the 6 and 7, it is night and day. The Hero 7 also has "Timewarp". Perhaps not for everyone but I like the option for my use.

Personally I'd look at the Hero 7 vs the Hero 6 and not the Hero 8 vs the Hero 6. I think the stabilization is worth the price.

Something also to consider is getting a Personal Article Floater (some call it a Personal Article Policy) to cover camera equipment. State Farm will still insure drones under it and it costs $60 for up to (I think) $2000 in scheduled equipment with no deductible.

11. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Maybe I should restate my question... I have the original GoPro, it works great for my needs... but if I wanted to replace it with a better and more modern camera for under $150 what camera should I be looking at buying? Make and model?

As a reference point I can buy a GoPro Black 6 for $150.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Maybe I should restate my question... I have the original GoPro, it works great for my needs... but if I wanted to replace it with a better and more modern camera for under $150 what camera should I be looking at buying? Make and model?

As a reference point I can buy a GoPro Black 6 for $150.
    Also keep in mind the white, silver and black versions of each gopro model. Black is the highest quality. Whatever camera can shoot in 4k at 60fps is a good standard today.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk