Thread: Lewis Peak from Pineview, via Skyline Trail

Lewis Peak from Pineview, via Skyline Trail

Last Friday I had to get out of the house and decided to head up Skyline from the Pineview side, since there's hardly anybody on that trail - WRONG, it is the season for everybody to get out, that's what this quarantine B.S. does.

There's a popular spot to stop and turn around at 3 miles up if you're riding in the evening and running out of time, and another spot almost exactly another 3 miles further up if you've got more time. Both of these are the outlooks viewing Pineview Reservoir. That 6 mile spot is what I originally planned on, but I got thinking I should just head another 3.5 up to Lewis Peak, and I'm glad I did.

I think I passed about 6 different motos in different groups, maybe 6 other hikers, and a few other mtn bikers. That was by far the most I've ever seen on that section of trail. Most hikers going out to the peak will start from the North Ogden side. I assumed Snowbasin was absolutely slammed if I was seeing this many on Skyline.

Here's a quick clip from the peak, it's a fantastic view. It may be a bit foolish to head up there alone, although I figured there would be others on the trail, but sometimes it's tough to get somebody to ride to the peak on short notice.

A few shots along the way.

Beautiful time of year

This bird was NOT going to move, actually got into a little scuffle with it.

2. Likes devo_stevo, Byron, rockgremlin liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Now that looks wonderful. Hey, that's a nifty motorcycle you've got there!
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

5. Likes Sombeech, BasinCruiser liked this post
    Nice TR and pics. Yeah, those grouse can be pretty territorial, especially this time of year. I think it's nesting season for them. Last year, up at PCMR, I had one running alongside my bike, trying to cut me off. Several times, he nearly poked his head in front of my front tire to coerce me to stop. I kept thinking - stick that neck out there another inch or two, and you'll never know what happened. He did that for about 20 yards down the trail, then finally let me by. I stopped about 10 feet beyond to wait for my wife. Then, another party came along from the other direction, and he did the same to them as they tried to pass. Pretty dumb, but agressive turds.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

7. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Now that looks wonderful. Hey, that's a nifty motorcycle you've got there!
    brap brapppppp

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Nice TR and pics. Yeah, those grouse can be pretty territorial, especially this time of year. I think it's nesting season for them. Last year, up at PCMR, I had one running alongside my bike, trying to cut me off. Several times, he nearly poked his head in front of my front tire to coerce me to stop. I kept thinking - stick that neck out there another inch or two, and you'll never know what happened. He did that for about 20 yards down the trail, then finally let me by. I stopped about 10 feet beyond to wait for my wife. Then, another party came along from the other direction, and he did the same to them as they tried to pass. Pretty dumb, but agressive turds.
    I'll have to edit and post the video up, about a minute long. I'm waving my hands trying to scare it, moving my wheel back and forth, it attacked it twice and finally I just bumped it off by yanking my wheel over and kicked it off into the brush.

By the way, the first time you ever hear that thumping sound they make, and you don't see them, have no idea what makes that noise, and you're alone, it can really freak you out.

You used an e bike. No wonder you got up there so fast.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

11. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    By the way, the first time you ever hear that thumping sound they make, and you don't see them, have no idea what makes that noise, and you're alone, it can really freak you out.

Very true. Several years ago, I was boarding up at Snowbasin on a big power dump day, and was coming down Middle Bowl, and jumped off the road into a bowl, going through some bushes and reeds. Everything was just blissful, peaceful and quiet, until I hit that jump into the bushes, and then all of a sudden - P-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T, i felt something that about size hit my waste, and that loud fluttering of the wings along with a big plume of powder shot up in my face. Scared the living dayights out of me. I never saw what it was, but i'm sure it was one of those devils hunkered down in the bushes that I spooked out of there.

14. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I love this section, great for cruising. You can hear a Moto trying to catch up to me at 1:28, he didn't. ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I love this section, great for cruising. You can hear a Moto trying to catch up to me at 1:28, he didn't. ha ha.

Yah. On those narrow, winding downhill sections, the much lighter, more nimble, and manueverable motorcycles can outrun the bigger heavier monsters.

2 motos racing, I'll count it as my first motocross race.

18. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post