Thread: Bystanders help rescue family out of river in Logan Canyon

Bystanders help rescue family out of river in Logan Canyon

https://www.ksl.com/article/46759267...n-logan-canyon

The wife and I went up Logan canyon on Saturday, with the plan to climb Naomi peak from Tony grove lake, completly underestimating the amount of snow still up there. Ended up hiking around in the snow up to White Pine lake.

Anyway, going up and down Logan canyon, we were impressed and in awe with the amount of water flowing down the river, the force and flow of it was quite incredible. The last few years, i've been trying to influence my wife to get into river kayaking, even renting a couple from WSU a couple of times. But, she's been pretty against it, feeling very closterphobic in the sit in kayak, and also not very warm to the idea of the sit on top kind, either. However, the last month or so, I've been itching to get out on the river, and been changing my tactic to suggesting we do ww rafting, instead, which she has been much more open to, and considering.

As we were driving up/down the canyon, we saw several cars with ww kayaks on top, as well as a few spots with several kayakers walking alongside the road scouting out the river, which prompted her to bring up the topic again of getting into rafting, and how she would feel somewhat comfortable going with me down the river in those conditions, but not by herself, especially in a kayak. I wasn't so sure i would have wanted to be going down the Logan R that day, much to the fact of the relatively low hanging treed branches that in many spots reached out across most of the river with less than a foot or two of clearance across the whole width.

Then, I see this article of this minivan that ended up in the river, less than an hour from when we had descended down the canyon. Crazy how a story like this can hit you with a little more impact when it happens within a very close timeframe of when you were actually at or near the same location.

Curious what methods they used to extract the van passengers out of the van. ???
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was up there yesterday. We took the kids to Tony Grove thinking that we could do our annual hike around the lake and get out of the heat of the valley. We did one of those things.There's a ton of snow up there still, I was surprised.

From what I read, the rescuers were helped by a couple of kayakers that were trained in swift water rescue. They were able to get a rope over to the van and use it as a hand line to get them all to safety.

That river is raging right now. Be careful out there.

4. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    FYI a man died in the Weber River last week after being pinned by a raft. I've run WW for almost 40 years and found it a lot of fun. However before you go learn about what you are dealing with. It can go from fun to real serious very quickly.

6. Likes Sombeech, devo_stevo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by middlefork View Post
    FYI a man died in the Weber River last week after being pinned by a raft. I've run WW for almost 40 years and found it a lot of fun. However before you go learn about what you are dealing with. It can go from fun to real serious very quickly.
    True, it's a good idea to scout the river first. Even looking for people fishing, which I assumed is how the man got pinned on the Weber? Even just crossing fishing lines can cause a big mess, you don't want any action where you need to pause and take your focus off of the river.

On the smaller rivers, if they aren't quite big enough for a raft, I've had some good runs in an inflatable canoe, bigger than a 1 person kayak and perfect for some of the rivers up here.

8. Likes middlefork liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46759267...n-logan-canyon

The wife and I went up Logan canyon on Saturday, with the plan to climb Naomi peak from Tony grove lake, completly underestimating the amount of snow still up there. Ended up hiking around in the snow up to White Pine lake.

Anyway, going up and down Logan canyon, we were impressed and in awe with the amount of water flowing down the river, the force and flow of it was quite incredible. The last few years, i've been trying to influence my wife to get into river kayaking, even renting a couple from WSU a couple of times. But, she's been pretty against it, feeling very closterphobic in the sit in kayak, and also not very warm to the idea of the sit on top kind, either. However, the last month or so, I've been itching to get out on the river, and been changing my tactic to suggesting we do ww rafting, instead, which she has been much more open to, and considering.

As we were driving up/down the canyon, we saw several cars with ww kayaks on top, as well as a few spots with several kayakers walking alongside the road scouting out the river, which prompted her to bring up the topic again of getting into rafting, and how she would feel somewhat comfortable going with me down the river in those conditions, but not by herself, especially in a kayak. I wasn't so sure i would have wanted to be going down the Logan R that day, much to the fact of the relatively low hanging treed branches that in many spots reached out across most of the river with less than a foot or two of clearance across the whole width.

Then, I see this article of this minivan that ended up in the river, less than an hour from when we had descended down the canyon. Crazy how a story like this can hit you with a little more impact when it happens within a very close timeframe of when you were actually at or near the same location.

Curious what methods they used to extract the van passengers out of the van. ???
    Michael's IG might be private I don't know. But it was his friends that swam out and secured the car and helped rescue mom and the 4 kids. He got video of them pulling one of the kids out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CA1b3lug...d=zxstovhdthgq

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'

10. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post