Thread: Broke Outta Quarantine

Broke Outta Quarantine

Coldwater Canyon, North Ogden this morning

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2. Likes blueeyes, Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

5. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    I’ve been camped and biking here at Gooseberry Mesa for a week now and today a guy rode his bike right off the end point and got himself killed. He tried to jump that crack and didn’t make it.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

7. Likes blueeyes, accadacca, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    I’ve been camped and biking here at Gooseberry Mesa for a week now and today a guy rode his bike right off the end point and got himself killed. He tried to jump that crack and didn’t make it.
    Sad. Another death to C19.
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

9. Likes double moo liked this post

Name:  37169A5B-5B05-4172-8877-BC5807905DB8.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  22.3 KB

https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar...g#.XpX5XB9MGEe

I got out again last night, started from Rainbow Gardens on 12th street heading South, made it to Waterfall Canyon before my rear hub started slipping on me, gotta take my rear cassette apart today.

There's a thin line sometimes between hero dirt and a few puddles. For the most part it was good, today is probably perfect but will be CROWDED.

12. Likes blueeyes, rockgremlin liked this post
    Dang I saw that. One of my all time favorite trails. There is a picture of me jumping a crack on that cliff somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Dang I saw that. One of my all time favorite trails. There is a picture of me jumping a crack on that cliff somewhere around here.

15. Likes accadacca, blueeyes liked this post

[QUOTE=accadacca;623289]Dang I saw that. One of my all time favorite trails. There is a picture of me jumping a crack on that cliff somewhere around here.[/QUOTE:

This article had two things wrong...he fell at least 100 feet before impact and the accident occurred around 9am, not 1 in the afternoon. I know because I was camped right next to the road and saw the SAR, etc...roll in about 10:30.

The problem with jumping that crack is that if you don't make it and peel off to the left, there's no where to go but all the way down. It is certainly a dangerous move if you screw up. Here's a pic the next day of where it happened...right behind my rear tire, that's where he went trying to hop the crack.

Name:  F4116008-DC84-46DF-97F4-B7195731B133.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  20.6 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I wonder if it was this one too

Yes, that's the one.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

19. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin liked this post
    Speaking of "breaking out", I just returned home after nearly 3 weeks of roaming southern Utah. Plenty of people out camping, some are just the weekend warrior types and others were doing a "mini bug out" like me. I can tell you this...there is absolutely zero enforcement on these "no camping" orders...there are people from all over the country driving around in big RVs with trailers, bikes, ATVs and no one is harassing them. Even around Moab people are camped at Willow and Klondike...also HRR had a few here and there and Gooseberry, JEM, Guacamole had plenty of people camped and riding.

The only thing you don't see are rental RVs. If you need a shower the motels will rent to you no questions asked. RV parks will take you too, although they aren't letting people tent camp. Seems like the cops have better things to do than chase campers...I figured that would be the case, hence why I went out there.

Lot's of animals are out and about. Zion had baby bighorn sheep all over the place. Near Capitol Reef I saw the biggest bobcat ever...the thing was as big as a medium sized dog and looked REALLY healthy. 30 feet away from me...looked right at me. Just beautiful.

But now I'm home and have to get some work done, otherwise I'll get behind schedule.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Another thing about being "bugged out" as I was...the amount of disinformation was kinda troubling.

I considered perhaps investing in a really good radio to keep up on "what is happening" in the event that the next catastrophe is truly serious...like a HAM radio type thing. For the most part, I'd turn on my phone in the morning just to peruse the headlines and make sure we weren't at war with China (yet?)...then I'd turn the thing off and go about my day. But as I met other people camped out (hanging out, campfires, sharing dinners, etc...) I was shocked at the total bullshit that some said was happening...like "I heard they're setting up roadblocks at the state borders", or "The 5G is making everyone sick", etc...

So if the dookie were to really hit the fan, getting proper information about what is going on might be a challenge. I learned that the old saying "A lie travels around the world faster than truth can put its shoes on in the morning" is quite true.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Broke Outta Quarantine

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    That’s it! Man, what year was that?

I need to take my 17 year old on Gooseberry.

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    That’s it! Man, what year was that?

I need to take my 17 year old on Gooseberry.
    This was 2011, also my last time out there too

24. Likes accadacca liked this post
    So I’m in Moab. Nearly everything is open, you can sit down and have a meal. The place is dead...feels like March or November. Rooms are cheap. Town looks great like the locals picked up all the trash. When they open camping it’ll likely get busy.

Nice to come down now and ride or hike. Beautiful spring weather. Got this shot of the master blaster of all rainbows yesterday.

Name:  DDE144DE-884D-4AC3-B4C5-9D2BCAA86268.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  23.0 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

26. Likes devo_stevo, oldno7, BasinCruiser liked this post
    Just back from yet another trip of biking and hiking. I had the opportunity to split, so I took it.

Lots of people getting around the "no camping" ban...plenty are out there. Sandthrax had so many people there were cars parked on the highway...camp spots were slim pickings. Non stop flow of trucks pulling boats for Powell...ATV's on trailers on I-70 heading for Moab.

Here's a picture of the Sundance Trail for those of you that have forgotten what it looks like. Lots of backpackers down there, too.

Name:  0174509D-30D9-456E-AA30-B104352BE166_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  20.5 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

28. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Broke away from the Wasatch front last weekend, went down to Cedar City. Had to go down to help family members that needed some house cleaning and flooding fixed that they couldn't do due to some serious curent health conditions. Told my wife, only go down if we can take the MTB bikes and go riding. So, we made it out to 3 Peaks and Lichen It/Lava flow areas. Pretty fun trail systems.

Silver lining with this lockdown - down there, there was hardly anyone around. Trails were empty. Motels empty - and CHEAP. However, I do feel great sympothy and sorrow for the local businesses and groups down there that rely on the tourists and crowds. With them cancelling the Shakespeare and other festivals, and summer attractions, a lot of people are really going to be missing out on normal expected income and revenue sources.

30. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post