Thread: Zero G Slot Canyon - San Rafael Swell, UT (video)

Zero G Slot Canyon - San Rafael Swell, UT (video)

A while ago I hiked Zero Gravity (Zero-G) near Goblin Valley State Park. I was alone, not as prepared as I should have been and it was chilly. I was in over my head. Worse parts were a keeper hole with cold water and toward the end. After the keeper hole I was exhausted, both physically (to a lesser extent) but also mentally. For those that have been out alone you know that that having even one other person with you makes a world of difference psychologically. I had about $600 worth of gear with me and about 3/4ths the way through I felt like I would have dumped it all if it meant being able to exit at that point. Since I was alone, I planned on rappelling down the end rather then wedging myself. However, I could not find any anchors or any place to anchor so I ended up doing the wedge thing. At the very end there is a 20' pool of water that you need to swim across. I knew this was the end but I sat on the edge of that pool for about 10 minutes as mentally I simply did not want to swim across it.

I learned a _lot_ from this experience and I think it helped me better understand that I can push through things and to remain positive at all times. It was a learning experience. I know I'm painting a grim picture but it was also a learning experience. With that said, here is the video (note: it is a long video. I tried to cut it down as best I could and still get the story across):

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You did fine! Got your ass kicked but it's good for ya. The only mistake you made was not bringing a wetsuit.

So you say it was a learning experience, eh? What did you learn?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post

Subscribed

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    So you say it was a learning experience, eh? What did you learn?
    In general, that I'm not superman and have my limitations. That remaining positive is a life saver. Since then I've learned how ways to get out of a keeper hole and how to plan for them. I've also signed up for a private lesson on rappelling (but it is now pushed back until the middle of April).

I must be honest, I say these things but I'm just about done editing a video of me rappelling into Goblins Lair (I think it is pretty funny) and then I'll start editing one where I was driving on Black Dragon Wash, got stuck and spend 24 hours trying to dig my truck out (the day after Goblin). I don't think I was in danger but I'm not going to sit at home either.

PS I'm headed out to Eardley Canyon this weekend and I have a wetsuit on the way. :)

6. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Right on man. Look at you. Eardley's fun...'aint no virus out there!
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Great work!

A positive attitude can be the difference between a fun-but-difficult trip and a disaster.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Thanks for sharing!