Thread: Elephant Butte 1st rap bolts

Blog Entries

Elephant Butte 1st rap bolts

I took my gf and brother through Elephant Butte on Saturday and we used the new bolts at its new location (less than 18 months old). They were recently moved from the old location to stop the rope grooving which was on the ground located near the north wall. Now those current bolts are developing some fine grooves too. I didn't take any pictures with my phone since my cell-phone battery was depleted from a canyon earlier in the day, but I am including a quick sketch of where the new anchors are situated.

If the stewardship of the canyon is to prevent rope grooves, then it looks like another placement is needed right? In the picture below, I am suggesting bolts to be installed at either location, indicated in blue. The ones in red were the previous (and current) location of the bolts. My opinion is that these need to be moved to a wall rather than the ground to stop the rope from dragging.

Or.....set up for a releasable anchor.

Name:  elephante butte bolts.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  96.7 KB
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The old bolt station on the right is the best place, and safest because losing control on rappel is a lot less likely on a walk down rappel then a free air rappel, particularly when dealing with beginners.

The biggest problem with the old bolt station is some folks didn't pull their ropes from the base but instead tried to pull their ropes from the base of the short downclimb.

That section of canyon was ruined when the middle bolt station was installed. I'd love to see the new bolt station on the right re-established.

YMMV

4. Likes jman liked this post
    The current bolts and bolts on the left require talking a 200 ft rope. The old location was perfect requiring a 120 ft rope and an interesting down climb. I would live to see them reestablished on the right.

Moving the bolts left us quite a surprise as we didn’t have enough rope. Luckily, Shane has everyone bringing 50 ft of webbings. Sadly, we had to rap single line and tie webbing as a pull cord.

I would love to see bolts returned to the right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

6. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    ^^^This^^^

The original rappel was so much better for so many reasons... but the biggest selling point should be the original rappel was simpler and much safer. High free hanging rappels are where the majority of serious rappel accidents happen.

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Looks like someone with bolt experience and a “new fixed gear” application to be filled out (followed by waiting 60 days from them to approve it), according to regulations.

Nps.gov/arch/planyourvisit/rockclimbing.htm

Application, Direct Link: https://parkplanning.nps.gov/showFil...df&sfid=159559

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'm a big believer in it's better to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission... your mileage may vary.

Interesting side note... the old bolt station was removed and the new one installed after the new bolt policy was established... and you guessed it... no permits were ever pulled.

The old bolt station on the right is the best place, and safest because losing control on rappel is a lot less likely on a walk down rappel then a free air rappel, particularly when dealing with beginners.
    It could be easier to find a good loan lead near you if you check out this tool https://directloantransfer.com/blog/...loans-near-me/ It could really help you and improve your financial standing
    The biggest problem with the old bolt station is some folks didn't pull their ropes from the base but instead tried to pull their ropes from the base of the short downclimb.

That section of canyon was ruined when the middle bolt station was installed. I'd love to see the new bolt station on the right re-established.

YMMV
    looks like that's the route I'm gonna take
    thanks for the hands up