Thread: Ricks Spring in Logan Canyon, no flow

Ricks Spring in Logan Canyon, no flow

Each time I drive up Logan Canyon on my way to Bear Lake, I like to stop by Ricks Spring and take a look. Well, that's if my family won't put up a fuss for the delay in the drive.

I don't think I've ever stopped when it was "dry", or not flowing. I was able to crawl up to the end and see straight down into the blue pool, some massive 6 foot icicles created a very slippery surface.

Just FYI, it is assumed the source of the spring is Tony Grove lake, a few miles further up the canyon. I've seen other posts and reports of SCUBA divers exploring the spring, finding some breathable air pockets down lower, and it's fascinating to me. I believe @jman knew something about this. I've stopped one time and watched divers going in and clearing out large rocks and other debris.

Some quick clips and photos

2. Likes Kudzu, oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

5. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Odd...I haven’t seen it dry before.

I don’t think the source is Tony Lake but rather than Logan River.

And yup, people have scuba-dived there and I think first back in 2008. Wendell Nope was that first diver and he has some cool videos of the inside including a 15 foot waterfall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I think I read the source info about Tony Grove one time on a plaque somewhere, it's been a long time ago though. Tony Grove is about 5 miles cross country up the slope, it would have quite a ways to travel but it is straight up the slope from it. Logan River makes sense too, I'm sure it's mixing in for sure since it's right there. It is a fascinating spring, and to know there's even a waterfall down in there where the water flows down even lower, I'd love to see more exploration.

Name:  2020-03-03_8-16-50.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  110.4 KB

8. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    I always heard they were were trying for a connection to Bear Lake. Either way it could be an awesome network.

Blog Entries
    Here’s some pics from Wendells website.

This is the 20ft waterfall and he says that this “site is with all the effort”

And this pic is the farthest in the cave they have been. As you can see, there’s more to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

11. Likes oldno7, Sombeech liked this post
    So the waterfall, to reach it they go DOWN the hole, and then at some point it must turn back up and the tunnel has to be higher in elevation than the entrance, right? Or is the waterfall lower than the entrance, meaning some of the water comes up and out the hole, while other water flows further down hill and comes out elsewhere?