Page 27 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm starting to see a lot of people ask around if anybody knows anybody that actually has COVID 19. Most people don't, and some people claim they do know somebody with it but it's ALWAYS at least 2 steps away like their husband's boss' mother.

I'm also seeing some get offended when the question is even asked, like how dare you try to investigate this. Some people are so desperate to know somebody with the Chinese Virus, they just don't have much going on in their lives.
    It's COVID-19, you stated it in your first paragraph. Yeah, some people like to eat wild animals. Living in Utah, that probably applies to you people.

I'm hearing that......
    I've been told that......
    We've never been better....

Your forum is a joke.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Yeah I see what he did there too. Justin mistakes my fascination for this pandemic for desperation. I believe he was the first to ask the question. I work in the lab and answered because at that time I hadn't seen any positive cases, all I was trying to imply is that had changed. I have always been fascinated by this type of stuff it is why I chose this profession. I teach PCR and other testing methods to our next generation of technologists. I was using my mother as an example of someone who didn't panic and run off to be tested for Covid-19 just because she had a fever and a cough. Which I wish more people would think twice before coming in because we are low on supplies enough so we had to prioritize testing. Unless you are in need of medical care, stay home.

Anyhoo... I will continue to enjoy Oldno7 carefully curated memes and keep my enthusiasm to myself.
    Chere'

4. Likes accadacca, oldno7, savanna3313 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Stolen from someone else...

Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
    Thank you for this detailed explanation. It has definitely changed the way I think about it... although I still think the current response is a tad overboard.

And I attribute that to a very liberal media that has latched on to the Coronavirus as a tool to destroy the current administration. The level of hyperbole and apocalyptic headlines in the news today is outrageous and uncalled for.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 03-20-2020 at 12:37 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes oldno7, savanna3313 liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    And we(collectively) are mighty glad you chose the profession you did--THX

I think there are only a few--maybe just 1, who misinterpret what goes on here in regards to Covid 19

I believe we all take it serious and no one would welcome it into their own lives or lives of friends, assoc. etc.

Taking it lightly and having fun, in a serious situation in no way lessens the seriousness of the virus.

It's just a way that like minded people cope with the un explainable.

I truly appreciate Chere' and Savanna posting here, you guys are great.

Now carry on....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

8. Likes savanna3313 liked this post
    Resident Southern Belle savanna3313's Avatar
    Southern transplant......again.....this time to Southern Utah!

I think there are only a few--maybe just 1, who misinterpret what goes on here in regards to Covid 19

I believe we all take it serious and no one would welcome it into their own lives or lives of friends, assoc. etc.

Taking it lightly and having fun, in a serious situation in no way lessens the seriousness of the virus.

Now carry on....

What can I say? I always feel like Scarlett O'Hara at the Twelve Oaks bbq.......outnumbered 20 to 1. Not unfamiliar though.....I was raised with all sisters, sent to all girl schools and when I started work (and consequently a business) I was surrounded by mainly all men. I liked it better that way!

However, always happy to see another female appear - Chere ! (btw.....your post on the Covid-19 virus was the best and most clear article on the subject I've read so far. Thanks!)
    Never regret anything that made you smile!

10. Likes accadacca, oldno7, blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Thank you for this detailed explanation. It has definitely changed the way I think about it... although I still think the current response is a tad overboard.

And I attribute that to a very liberal media that has latched on to the Coronavirus as a tool to destroy the current administration. The level of hyperbole and apocalyptic headlines in the news today is outrageous and uncalled for.
    I honestly thought the same until I listened to an interview from a doctor in Italy on NPR and his description and the fact that he didn't go home for 3 weeks made me rethink my approach to this outbreak. Also watching a documentary on the 1918 pandemic and one on Wuhan. I no longer feel like this is overreacting, I think the way people of the Utah have handled it is waaayyy over the top but asking us all to stay home I do not, it is th only way to keep this from getting out of hand. One thing I know is that this outbreak has exposed our weak links.

Chere'

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Now carry on....

I love humor dealing with shitty situations. It genuinely is the only way to get through.

But I very much dislike having my opinions marginalized because someone thinks I am looking for attention. Passion for all things lab and what we do, and sharing when I can because most of the population doesn't even know we exist or how the lab works. Hell most of our colleagues in the hospital ie.. good old docs and nurses don't even realize we hold Bachelors, Masters and in some cases Doctorate degrees. With out us... your doctor is only guessing. 70% of you doctors decision to diagnose a condition is based off the results we provide him.

I pop in now and again because I do enjoy the banter around here. But good gawd ya all think you might grow up a little bit. But ya all are still red neck as hell and oddly I still enjoy you even though I definitely lean more liberal.

Savanna lady you are most welcome for the explanation I stole. If anyone else would like to know the view point of the lab and why it isn't easy to test for COVID-19 just ask until then I will go back to lurking.
    Chere'

14. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post
    I pop in now and again because I do enjoy the banter around here. But good gawd ya all think you might grow up a little bit. But ya all are still red neck as hell

^^^ LOL This got a legit belly laugh.

See, this is the appropriate response to the right winged red-neckery around here. Instead of taking your ball and going home, call us out on our perceived bullshit. How are you going to change minds and foster critical thinking if you just run away?

I will say this: I have learned 100X more about the Coronavirus and how it should be dealt from your few posts than with than the last month's worth of scaremongering headlines combined. I don't respond to hyperbole and overly dramatic headlines. They're not productive, and only stoke fear and paranoia -- exactly what we DON'T need right now.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

16. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ^^^ LOL This got a legit belly laugh.

See, this is the appropriate response to the right winged red-neckery around here. Instead of taking your ball and going home, call us out on our perceived bullshit. How are you going to change minds and foster critical thinking if you just run away?

I will say this: I have learned 100X more about the Coronavirus and how it should be dealt from your few posts than with than the last month's worth of scaremongering headlines combined. I don't respond to hyperbole and overly dramatic headlines. They're not productive, and only stoke fear and paranoia -- exactly what we DON'T need right now.
    I can be just as snarky back when I want to. I know after 12 years of off and on again participation on this board you all like to stir the pot and to get a reaction. So if I do call you out I won't be hurting anyone's feelings.

A friend posted this on his page today. I found it to be very informative and the doctor calls out the CDC FDA and Government, explains why social distancing works, why and what COVID-19, when and why you would use a face mask and how to make hand sanitizer.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zai...X0msWJ-ctRL_MM

I can't stand the hysteria around this. I avoided shopping for a week and finally broke down when I ran out of coffee creamer. We did stalk up with what little was left in the store only because after doing my research I decided this is the best route to keeping the outbreak from overwhelming our hospitals. Some of the stories I have listened to out of Italy are heart wrenching. The medical staff ( and I mean the entire med staff not just the nurses and doctors) are busting their asses, exhausted and warn out. I will do my part both by staying home and working when they need me.
    Chere'

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Don’t let a good crisis go to waste. When nature gives you Chinese Hunan Virus, give it right back by going around coughing on produce. Got to live the teenage challenges these days. Yes- these are the geniuses that will be taking care off you when tie 80 yrs old and in a rest home. Kids will be kids, I guess.

Name:  64679A25-27BB-4690-9CF9-F3A74A00C138.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  22.9 KB

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cops-s...o-social-media
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    Don’t let a good crisis go to waste. When nature gives you Chinese Hunan Virus, give it right back by going around coughing on produce. Got to live the teenage challenges these days. Yes- these are the geniuses that will be taking care off you when tie 80 yrs old and in a rest home. Kids will be kids, I guess.

Name:  64679A25-27BB-4690-9CF9-F3A74A00C138.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  22.9 KB

https://www.theblaze.com/news/cops-s...o-social-media
    I thought from a few weeks ago, millenials would start to want to spread it. To kill older MAGA types. Beyond just being merely stupid.

If anyone else would like to know the view point of the lab and why it isn't easy to test for COVID-19 just ask until then I will go back to lurking.
    I would love to hear about it.

22. Likes blueeyes liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I would love to hear about it.
    This is from another MLS but I liked her approach.

So I have decided to jump into the homeschooling pool even though I have no children of school age.

I am using my FB feed as the mode of education for just this morning.
    As a medical technologist (this was was path of study for my college degree) I want to share some information that might help people understand the “delay” patients are seeing in getting test results for COVID-19. As many see on the news (live TV or social media), we are seeing unprecedented situations in cities of what the media is calling “drive-thru COVID-19 testing”. Just to be clear—-these are not testing!!!

The clock for the test should not start here! These are sample collection lines. This is where the specimens for testing are collected. The COVID-19 tests are done in either a hospital or reference laboratory. The testing is conducted by a medical laboratory technologist or medical laboratory scientist. The test is a molecular diagnostic test to identify if the sample (specimen) collected in these drive up sites contains the RNA of COVID-19. Not every hospital in the US does this testing as it is extremely specialized and can be costly for hospitals to implement in “normal” healthcare times.

The samples collected may have to be driven or flown to testing sites. Having the FDA finally allowing for emergency use testing kits to be manufactured from companies then ship to their customers was critical!!! Testing cannot begin until the samples arrive at the real testing facilities which are the hospital labs or reference labs. That is when the “clock starts” or should start for time to results.

May we all social distance to not over burden all healthcare workers including our fabulous Medical Technologists and Medical Laboratory Scientists. They are working to solve the mysteries of this virus. Thanks to all on the front line of fighting this pandemic.

Now I will retire from homeschooling

I underlined and bolded some key points. This is not a test that can be performed onsite. It goes to a reference lab like ARUP or Lab Corp or each state State Lab... very few hospitals in the US have the capacity to perform this type of molecular diagnostics. I would venture to say less than a handful and most all of the Mayo Clinic hospitals.

To even begin do this testing you have to have the correct RNA sequence of the virus you want to detect, then primers used to detect the virus have to be made. All of that takes time and US sure dragged their feet getting there.

Now we are being inundated with testing requests to the point ARUP has stopped accepting tests so they can catch up.

Anyway.... what can we test for at a hospital. Well it all depends on what platform we have for testing. There are several and I can't speak to all of them. One I am familiar with is a company that is local to SLC Biofire. They have a system that can test for 16 viruses and 4 bacterial respiratory infections. These infections have been around long enough that they have testing for them down to a "science". Still each time you run this test it takes a minimum and hour. Both places I have worked at only had 2 of the devices that run this testing so all you can do is run 2 at a time. Most of the time you don't need more than 2 it would be overkill to have more than that from a financial stand point. Well right now a tower of them would be nice. Oh well huh... we do what we can.

Rapid Flu test are what are known as Point of Care tests these are typically more expensive and not always accurate again it depends on the platform. For the most part they are good. But these POC type tests are good for Flu A/Flu B, that is it. They still take about 45 minutes.

Any test performed in any lab in the US has to be FDA approved and validated at ad nauseam before you can do testing, both by the manufacturer and the lab. This is good you want it to be or you have situations like Theranos and the con-artist Elizabeth Holmes reaking havoc all over the place. (Gawd I loved watching that mess... was bullshit from the minute it started I can't believe how many people she suckered in.)

It is good except in a situation like we have now. Giving emergency access to Roche and the others that are developing test for COVID-19 was the right thing to do, but they still have to ramp up production and get those test to the right locations for testing.

What else do you want to know?
    Chere'

Coronavirus

Thanks, that’s some great info. So it’s a complicated process to run it and not fast. This stuff is like learning French for me, so I have to read it a few times.

So looking at this chart, Utah had its first case on a March 6th and I found these cool charts:

https://public.tableau.com/views/COV...viz_share_link

https://public.tableau.com/profile/r...ainWest/Sheet1

When did testing officially start? If it was on the 5th (ramping up now) then 2,147 / 15 = 143 per day. So only 6 an hour... Which doesn’t seem like that many. I guess they want to get up to 3,000 per day.

Just to add as little fuel to the Chinese Wuhan Virus conspiracy theories

Name:  A75A3B65-6113-472F-BD01-2829E8CDE48C.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  20.9 KB

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dia...-crash-reports

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Thanks, that’s some great info. So it’s a complicated process to run it and not fast. This stuff is like learning French for me, so I have to read it a few times.

So looking at this chart, Utah had its first case on a March 6th and I found these cool charts:

https://public.tableau.com/views/COV...viz_share_link

https://public.tableau.com/profile/r...ainWest/Sheet1

When did testing officially start? If it was on the 5th (ramping up now) then 2,147 / 15 = 143 per day. So only 6 an hour... Which doesn’t seem like that many. I guess they want to get up to 3,000 per day.
    This particular test according to Lab Corp (I have attached a QA on the test) takes 24 hrs for time they receive the test to result. As to how many they can process per hour I really don't know. One of our professors works at the state lab I will ask him of he knows what the throughput is.

Once they have the sample, in a nutshell and very simplified steps:

Extract any viral RNA using a Qiagen Column kit. This is an entire process in itself.

Then you make a master mix with the exact primers needed to detect the targeted viral RNA.
    You add the extracted RNA to the master mix and put this in a thermocycler. This is where any targeted viral RNA is then amplified. Takes a few hours. You have to amplify the RNA enough that you can detect its presence.

At this point I would imagine they use a different detection method than what I use to visually show our students an extraction and amplification. I will also ask about this.

But what we do with the students is mix the sample with some migrating dye and add it to a gel (think a thin square of thick clear jello like material) that has ethidium bromide added to the gel put it in a migrating chamber with a positive and negative electrode apply a current and migrate the RNA down the gel. You use a known positive to compare your unknowns to. This helps you determine if the target RNA is present. This takes about 2 hours. Then you put it on a UV light table and you get something that looks like this. The ethidium bromide fluoresces.

You have to have a clean environment because any stray contamination can ruin the test.

In the above photo I was comparing our old primers to new primers for detecting Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus or MRSA.

When they started testing I don't exactly know but I to would assume on the 5th. So yeah between the State Lab, Lab Corp, and ARUP they have been able to do 143 per day and this has overwhelmed them.

But with approval for the Roche test they are hoping to get up to 3000 per day. US should have been ready for this before it hit out shores.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/5e758831511e2/2330_fid.pdf

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'

27. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Spent the day in Arches NP yesterday. My wife's friend from San Antonio and her son were in Moab so we made a day trip to show them around. They had actually spent the night at a hotel in town and when they checked in, having no idea of the lodging ban, the person at the desk asked them if there were there on "business" wink, wink. They were lucky to get a room.

The Arches visitor center was closed but the park was open and they were just letting cars drive through the gate without paying. The parking lots were about half full, but I only counted 3 other vehicles with Utah plates. We saw plates from Maine to Hawaii and most states in between.

People on the trails didn't act any different than normal although they did seem slightly more friendly, but that might have been due to the lack of foreign visitors. I did only hear one couple speaking a foreign language which was definitely unusual.

I had no idea dispersed camping on public lands were also banned before reading the post above but they must not be enforcing it as there were the typical toy hauler cities in the usual places including Klondike Bluffs and Mill Canyon. Although the cities were a lot smaller than usual.

We were hungry after hiking and so we drove into town to see if anything was open. There were only a few cars in all the hotel parking lots and Main Street was very quiet. Most of the smaller restaurants were closed. Very surreal. The Moab Diner was about the only restaurant in town that had a big sign announcing that they were still open and since that is were we wanted to go in the first place we pulled into the parking lot.

They had little signs on all the parking spots saying that they had car hop service and would see us pull up. Sure enough, the waitress came out quickly and since we already knew what we wanted she took our order and in about 10 minutes brought our food out in a large paper sack. The Green Chili Omelet was excellent as always.

After we finished eating, I chatted with one of the employees and he told me that some people sat down on their new outside picnic tables to eat and some local officials pulled up and told them to leave. Crazy! He also told me that they were going to have a hard time keeping the Diner open as they had almost no business at all.

Overall, it was a wonderful day and after hiking in the sunshine and fresh air, I never felt better.

29. Likes twotimer, oldno7, accadacca liked this post

31. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Name:  0311C02A-593D-44A4-AA97-5E98F576C8CA.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  21.6 KB

34. Likes twotimer liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum