Page 115 of 165 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 3289

Thread: Coronavirus

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Elon Musk just became my new hero:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk lambasts 'fascist' coronavirus stay-in-place orders

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...000243948.html

^^^^Back on April 29 I made this post after Elon Musk was getting really vocal about re-opening the economy, even going so far as calling the stay at home orders "fascist".

Since then, Mr. Musk has doubled down, and has become a very outspoken critic of the economic lockdown.

In a company update titled, Getting Back to Work, Tesla shelled out its plan to safely return. Here’s the 38-page playbook.

However, Alameda County, CA thinks otherwise and said if the company opened it would be out of compliance with the order.

Now, Tesla is suing Alameda County for not letting the company reopen. This is crazy - here’s the official complaint Tesla filed. But wait...

Elon tweeted and threatened to move Tesla from the state of California.

Name:  tw1.JPG
Views: 292
Size:  73.9 KB

And here is Assemblywoman Lorena Gonzalez's very classy and professional reply:

Name:  tw2.JPG
Views: 265
Size:  17.0 KB
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 05-10-2020 at 11:45 PM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes accadacca, oldno7 liked this post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Probably the most difficult thing for me personally is watching what this pandemic has done to the elderly. My father is 94 and in a care facility. Me, my siblings, and the grand kids have not seen my dad for about three months now. My dad has quite literally been quarantined to his room for 28 of those days and is currently in his room and can't leave. Food is brought to him and he is checked on by staff. He doesn't know how to use technology so he can't Zoom, facetime, etc. It really breaks my heart to see him and others suffer with extreme loneliness. My dad was an educator and a people person. My mom passed away a year and a half ago so he is alone. We can't even do window visits because one employee's mother tested positive and so the whole facility is on extreme lock-down again. I get it. If the virus gets in that care facility, many would die. As for my in-laws, I don't think I have ever seen fear in their eyes like I have with this virus. Moral of the story, if you have any elderly parents/grandparents, give them a call. They could use it.
    Life is Good

^^^My Mom is also in an elderly care center and it's the same deal where she is at. I haven't seen her in over two month's. I would normally go have lunch with her every Tuesday.

But I'm also a pragmatic person and I have to say it might be better to let this pandemic run it's course and extract it's ounce of flesh because this is bullshit. The current quality of life in an elderly care center is low and not something I'd care to be part of it I was in such a place. I'm just not a fan of destroying the country in the process of trying to protect those with underlying medical issues. IMHO... We managed to create a cure worse then the disease... YMMV

End of life decisions are never easy. I've lost everyone who came before me. As I tell my family, I'm up to bat. I almost hit a home run last year.

Quality of life to me is very important. Quantity not so much.

11. Likes devo_stevo, oldno7, jman, Iceaxe liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Probably the most difficult thing for me personally is watching what this pandemic has done to the elderly. My father is 94 and in a care facility. Me, my siblings, and the grand kids have not seen my dad for about three months now. My dad has quite literally been quarantined to his room for 28 of those days and is currently in his room and can't leave. Food is brought to him and he is checked on by staff. He doesn't know how to use technology so he can't Zoom, facetime, etc. It really breaks my heart to see him and others suffer with extreme loneliness. My dad was an educator and a people person. My mom passed away a year and a half ago so he is alone. We can't even do window visits because one employee's mother tested positive and so the whole facility is on extreme lock-down again. I get it. If the virus gets in that care facility, many would die. As for my in-laws, I don't think I have ever seen fear in their eyes like I have with this virus. Moral of the story, if you have any elderly parents/grandparents, give them a call. They could use it.
    My brother posted a story on Facebook a few days ago that relates to your experience with our elderly that I thought was very good. It got shared a few times so I hope some elderly folks got messages or called. All of my grandparents have passed but at the initial self-isolation we started our first ever weekly FaceTime on Sunday afternoons with my parents and siblings who live out of state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

13. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin, Scott Card liked this post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

16. Likes devo_stevo, rockgremlin liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Watch the media remove their masks once they think the cameras are off.

https://twitter.com/Matt_Zawadzki/st...91180190240768

It's all a joke and we are getting played so hard.

19. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

22. Likes oldno7, rockgremlin liked this post
    MINDF*CK MONDAY #29: WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE CRAZY THINGS

By Mark Manson

https://markmanson.net/newsletters/mindfck-monday-29

May 4, 2020

Welcome to another MF’in Monday email, the only weekly newsletter that probably has a worse hangover than you do. Every week, I present three interesting ideas to hopefully make us all less terrible human beings. This week we’re talking 1) conspiracy theories — why do people believe them? 2) good news: the great mental health collapse of 2020 may have been greatly exaggerated and 3) some new science that suggests that swearing is useful!*

Let’s get into it.*

(Note: if you enjoy this email and know someone who would benefit from it, please consider forwarding it and asking them to*sign up*to receive it themselves.)

1. Why people believe crazy things*– Over the past two months, I have been receiving a steady stream of crazy conspiracy-laden emails—far more than usual. These range from your typical anti-vaccine nonsense to “5G data networks causes coronavirus” to the idea that the entire pandemic (or, excuse me, “plandemic”) is a well-coordinated hoax by some shadowy international cabal looking to… I don’t know, make lots of money, or something.

Many other readers have emailed me over the past month saying that they are alarmed at how many of their otherwise smart, well-adjusted friends and family have gone looney tunes recently and bought into this nonsense. They have asked me what it is about these theories that is so appealing. Why do smart people put their brain on hold while they check the other line for a few months?

Fortunately, I, too, was once 16 years old and believed every theory I read on the internet. So I kind of feel I understand where these people are coming from. As with most human behavior, conspiracy theorizing doesn’t appeal to us on an intellectual level, it appeals to us on an emotional level. And once you understand that, it all starts making a lot more sense.*
    Conspiracy theories originate from:*

A) A Desperate Need for Certainty*– Human minds are meaning machines. When something good happens to us, we demand to know why. When something bad happens to us, we also demand to know why. The better or worse the thing that happened, the more powerful the instinct to deduce the reason and cause.

The problem is that many of the most impactful events in human history can happen for no apparent reason. This drives the human mind bananas. The idea that millions of lives can end or be changed forever (and it was not consciously decided or controlled by some outside force) is just inconceivable to our brains on some level. We don’t like randomness because randomness means uncertainty and uncertainty means we’re not safe.

Therefore, we all have an extremely strong emotional urge to make sense of calamities in a way that gives someone or something conscious control of that event. The easiest way to do this is to find the people or groups who are most likely to benefit from said calamity. Generally, in crises, uber-wealthy people and governments benefit the most. They also have the most power to begin with. Ergo, most people’s minds have a strong gravitational pull towards believing that uber-wealthy people and governments must therefore be orchestrating the calamity in some way.

But the fact is that even the most competent individuals and governments are horribly inefficient and inept in most cases. Remember the first maxim of*Negative Self Help*— humans suck. You could add an addendum to that by saying, “Humans suck; human organizations suck even more.” I don’t care if you’re the CIA, the NRA, the Gates Foundation or the Hare Krishnas — human organizations are generally slow, wasteful, incompetent, and woefully unaware of the consequences of their actions. The idea that thousands of people could coordinate perfectly—in secret!—to accomplish some nefarious goal is insane, at least to anyone who has actually dealt with other humans in a significant capacity.

B) Feelings of Moral and Intellectual Superiority*– When you believe something most other people don’t, you experience a sense of superiority and righteousness. You feel pity and outrage at the uninformed masses—outrage that you must become a great martyr to help save humanity from its blindness.

Ah, how dramatic!

If the craving for certainty attracts one to a conspiracy theory, the false sense of moral superiority cements it. Not only do you get to know why the virus spread, but you get to feel sorry for the confused masses. You get to be angry that more people don’t “open their eyes” or “wake up.” You get to argue really, really intensely on social media, or with some dickhead with a newsletter, that*nooooo,*if only you understood.

Basically, people hold onto conspiracy theories for the same reason they root for the underdog in sports, or they pick the most obscure film or band to be their favorite music, or they try to join secret clubs—the exclusivity grants them a feeling of importance.

The tragedy of all of this is that attacking these people for their beliefs makes them more determined. “Of course you’d attack me! The truth is too much for you to handle!” And on and on the false sense of importance goes.

C) Lack of Critical Thinking*– I’ve always found it funny that governments can hardly pay for a toilet without it leaking to the press in some way, yet we’re supposed to believe that tens of thousands of people coordinated across the planet and not a single person broke the silence?

Or, how about the purported motive of most conspiracy theories is some form of “Rich guy wants to be even richer!”

Well, what the ****? Why doesn’t he just invest in Amazon. I mean, given how long it would take to plan and execute a pandemic, that’s probably just as lucrative and you don’t have to kill millions of people!

Generally, I’ve found that conspiracy theorists are unable to think two or three moves ahead on the chess board. They fail to detect the difference between evidence and conjecture, what is fact and what is opinion. I’ve also noticed they’re just bad at math. For instance, they look at a situation with vaccines where you might have 37,000 deaths and 200 million lives saved, and because 37,000 is a really big number, they just assume it’s bad… without considering the fact that it’s 0.0018% of the number of lives saved.

But most importantly, conspiracy theorists just strike me as intensely lonely. To be able to believe such outlandish things about human nature, to assume that vast organizations can coordinate in such ways, and to see that amount of raw evil in the world… this seems only possible for someone who doesn’t get out nearly enough. Go talk to a couple of government officials and spend a few months in a corporate hierarchy. You will quickly see that they could hardly organize a children’s parade, much less build network towers that beam viruses into people around the globe simultaneously.*

So, what do you do with a person who believes in a conspiracy theory? I think the best thing you can do is simply state facts while trying to relate to them on an emotional level. You can challenge their claims. But do it patiently, respectfully. Be kind. They will lash out emotionally—because, after all, conspiracy theories are about emotions, not logic—and they might call you names, say you’re evil, feel sorry for you, etc., etc.*
    But you’re not going to change their minds in one go. No, instead you must pepper them with information and perspective, and then just let it all take hold in the soil of their minds, like seeds of rationality.*

And eventually, when these people do come out and start experiencing the world in all of its complexity and ambiguity, those seeds will sprout. And they will (hopefully) realize that, yes, they were being a dumb****.*
    And the world will rejoice.*

2. Perhaps there is no Great Mental Health Apocalypse*– About a month ago, deep in my own little quarantine, I*wrote an article*lamenting that we were likely going to see an explosion of mental health issues in 2020—due to social isolation, boredom, and general fear and anxiety about the world.*

Well, I have some good news. It appears I might have been wrong. Two new academic papers are in the process of being published, both looking at people’s mental health under quarantine. And the results are encouraging.*

The*first one*studied people’s feelings of social connection and relatedness under quarantine. After a few weeks, the vast majority of people reported little to no drop in feelings of social connectedness, including extraverts. And while many people reported increased feelings of lethargy, overall life satisfaction was barely affected.

The*second study*looked at a group of Dutch students and found that mental health problems did not increase over a measured three-week period in March and April. In fact, early on, mental health problems slightly*decreased.*
    Perhaps we underestimate the resiliency of the human mind. Perhaps our fear of social distancing outpaced the emotional reality of it. Perhaps, as I discuss in*Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope, the challenges of the crisis reinforced our mental fortitude rather than wrecked it. Perhaps, as usual, I need to relearn the lessons from my own books.*

For me, personally, the last few weeks have been much better. It feels as though there was a mental adjustment period the first two to three weeks and since then, problems have been minimal. I certainly do miss my friends and being able to go enjoy a night on the town. But overall, my mood and energy have stabilized. I’ve developed routines. And I feel pretty good. Better problems and all that.

3. **** yes! Swearing works!*– As you can imagine, I get criticized for my use of profanity all the damn time. In fact, I received so many complaints that a few years ago, I wrote an article called,*“Why I Have a Potty Mouth”. In that article, I explain the social uses of profanity, how the meaning of words evolves over time, and why profanity is actually advantageous in the context of personal development.

Yet, my critics were unimpressed.*

Well, the other day I stumbled across*a new study*that says, in fact, I was ****ing right. Shouting the word “****” not only increased people’s pain tolerance, but it also heightened experiences of humor and emotion. You’re goddamn right it did! From the study:*

“For conventional swearing (“****”), confirmatory analyses found a 32% increase in pain threshold and a 33% increase in pain tolerance, accompanied by increased ratings for emotion, humor, and distraction, relative to the neutral word condition.”

**** yeah, science. Score one for Team Mark “****face” Manson.*

So, the next time someone whines at me about my habitual use of the F-word, I will say, in the words of the great Jesse Pinkman, “Science, bitch!”. Because apparently, when dealing with the more painful aspects of life, few things come in handy as much as an enthusiastic F-bomb.*
    Until next week,

Mark

(Note: if you enjoy this email and know someone who would benefit from it, please consider forwarding it and asking them to*sign up*to receive it themselves.)

Chere'

https://youtu.be/7aT-Nb0nDeY

Chere'

Oh I LOVE a good conspiracy theory! The one where President Trump was an asset of Russia was one of my favorite. It still lingers today.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Hard to question the government when the government refuses to answer questions.

https://youtu.be/xNw5wa4Q8IY

Chere'

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum