Page 46 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by erial View Post
    That's mostly Moab and the Swell. I'll be driving past these places.

The only thing that could stop me is roadblocks.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

2. Likes accadacca liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-her-n1168386

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'

FWIW - If you are "on business" you are pretty much free to do as you please, and that includes stay in motels and campsites in closed areas.... and since I run Climb-Utah.com as a business I'm pretty much free to do as I please. I believe Bogley is also setup as a business, but I'm not positive about that....

So if you want a job with Climb-utah hit me up as I'm also interested in a stringer.... or you can also claim to be a freelance journalism stringer.

Also my son-in-law is a trucker and they are pretty much treated like angels from heaven delivering supplies at the moment and have few restrictions.

Anyhoo.... just thought I'd toss that out there in case you need an alibi.....

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction, dougrz liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Approval Ratings of U.S. Leaders' and Institutions' Handling of Response to Coronavirus
    Do you approve or disapprove of the way each of the following is handling the response to the coronavirus in the U.S.?
    Approve Disapprove Does not apply (vol.)/No opinion
    % % %
    U.S. hospitals 88 10 2
    Your child's school or daycare † 83 9 8
    Your state government 82 17 1
    Your employer ^ 82 14 4
    Government health agencies such as the CDC or NIH 80 17 2
    Vice President Mike Pence 61 32 7
    President Donald Trump 60 38 1
    Congress 59 37 4
    The news media 44 55 1
    ^ Based on 536 employed adults; † Based on 262 parents of children under 18; (vol.) = volunteered response
    GALLUP, MARCH 13-22, 2020
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...e-her-n1168386

I know you don't wanna hear about news like this, but somebody's gotta balance out the doom and gloom around here. May as well be me.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes Sandstone Addiction, blueeyes liked this post
    Gallup: Trump Approval Up 5 Points to 49%, His Handling of COVID-19 at 60% Approval

(CNSNews.com)
    -- Despite the challenges caused by the coronavirus, most importantly the loss of American lives, President Donald Trump's job approval rating among Americans has risen five points since earlier this month to 49%.

In addition, 60% of Americans approve of his handling of the coronavirus. Trump's job approval is also "higher among independents [and] Democrats," reported Gallup on March 24.

https://cnsnews.com/article/national...ng-covid-19-60

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I know you don't wanna hear about news like this, but somebody's gotta balance out the doom and gloom around here. May as well be me.

https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...nobel-laureate
    Positive news is good. I do hope this thing dies down.

I don't think the whole thing is doom and gloom. I don't think this will kill nearly the numbers that flu does, at least I hope it doesn't. I just am in awe of how it overwhelms the hospitals in the hot spots.

And I posted the article about the health worker because she was 48, no known underlying health issues, AND her hospital wasn't treating any Covid-19 patients. One minute she is fine and now she is dead.

Do I think that is going to happen to everyone...no. I think she is an outlier. A very fascinating outlier.

Why do some get infected and mildly uncomfortable and others hit so hard? I will say it again I am utterly fascinated by this pandemic. You should be in a lab when we get anything out of the ordinary...we get excited. It is sick and wrong we know that but we can't help it. One side is all feels for the patient and family involved in a pending bad diagnosis and the other side is oh dam this is really cool and digs up more information.

And I have brought good news to this discussion.

Chere'

Our country has been through tough times before, but this is one of the worse in my lifetime, next to 911. Plenty of debate could go on comparing the two. Both of these being on American soil of course hits everyone harder and is being referred to as a war.

Our parents and grandparents went through much tougher times perhaps. For example some of us might have family who were in the Battle of Iwo Jima. We attended the 100th birthday of my wife's grandpa a few months back and he has many haunting memories about that experience.

It all reminds me of a song and video from one of my favorite bands. The song was written about the guitarists father and his experiences during and after the Vietnam War. His father is interviewed and shown in the video.

In the liner notes of 1999's Music Bank box set collection, Jerry Cantrell said of the song:
    It was the start of the healing process between my Dad and I from all that damage that Vietnam caused. This was all my perception of his experiences out there. The first time I ever heard him talk about it was when we made the video and he did a 45-minute interview with Mark Pellington and I was amazed he did it. He was totally cool, totally calm, accepted it all and had a good time doing it. It even brought him to the point of tears. It was beautiful. He said it was a weird experience, a sad experience and he hoped that nobody else had to go through it.

In a 1992 interview with Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine, in response to the question "Do you feel you communicated with [your father] with this song?", Cantrell responded:
    Yeah. He's heard this song. He's only seen us play once, and I played this song for him when we were in this club opening for Iggy Pop. I'll never forget it. He was standing in the back and he heard all the words and stuff. Of course, I was never in Vietnam and he won't talk about it, but when I wrote this it felt right...like these were things he might have felt or thought. And I remember when we played it he was back by the soundboard and I could see him. He was back there with his big gray Stetson and his cowboy boots — he's a total Oklahoma man — and at the end, he took his hat off and just held it in the air. And he was crying the whole time. This song means a lot to me. A lot.

Cantrell said of the song in a 2006 interview with Team Rock:
    That experience in Vietnam changed him [his father] forever, and it certainly had an effect on our family, so I guess it was a defining moment in my life, too. He didn’t walk out on us. We left him. It was an environment that wasn’t good for anyone, so we took off to live with my grandmother in Washington, and that’s where I went to school. I didn’t have a lot of my father around, but I started thinking about him a lot during that period. I certainly had resentments, as any young person does in a situation where a parent isn’t around or a family is split. But on Rooster, I was trying to think about his side of it – what he might have gone through. To be honest, I didn’t really sit down intending to do any of that; it just kinda came out. But that’s the great thing about music – sometimes it can reach deeper than you ever would in a conversation with anybody. It’s more of a forum to dig deeper. It felt like a major achievement for me as a young writer. When I first played it to my father, I asked him if I’d got close to where he might have been emotionally or mentally in that situation. And he told me: ‘You got too close – you hit it on the head'. It meant a lot to him that I wrote it. It brought us closer. It was good for me in the long-run and it was good for him, too.

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
    Eyes burn with stinging sweat
    Seems every path leads me to nowhere
    Wife and kids household pet
    Army green was no safe bet
    The bullets scream to me from somewhere
    Here they come to snuff the rooster, aww yeah, hey yeah
    Yeah here come the rooster, yeah
    You know he ain't gonna die
    No, no, no, ya know he ain't gonna die
    Here they come to snuff the rooster, aww yeah, hey yeah
    No, no, no, ya know he ain't gonna die

Walkin' tall machine gun man
    They spit on me in my home land
    Gloria sent me pictures of my boy
    Got my pills 'gainst mosquito death
    My Buddy's breathin' his dyin' breath
    Oh god please won't you help me make it through
    Here they come to snuff the rooster, aww yeah
    No, no, no ya know he ain't gonna die

It was recommended that when washing our hands we sing "Happy Birthday to You" twice so that our hand washing time meets the recommend wash time to kill germs. So occasionally I do that. I always sing "Happy Birthday" to my mom who passed away a year and a half ago. She lived during the depression as a small child and remembered well WWII. I grew up being told to "toughen up" and that I needed to have a "thicker skin" on many occasions. Don't get me wrong, she was the best mom ever, but also tough as nails. She also lived in constant pain due to an auto accident that occurred when I was in 5th grade. Singing to my mom while washing my hands reminds me to be tough, like her and the others of the "greatest generation."
    Life is Good

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

15. Likes dougrz liked this post
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

17. Likes dougrz liked this post

Chere'

19. Likes rockgremlin, oldno7 liked this post

Chere'

The big discussion now is are we going to be ready to ease restrictions and get back to work by Easter? Everybody is bitching and moaning about it and I think it’s too far out to decide at this point, but what does your gut tell you? Do you have any data to back this up? Maybe portions of the country will open up?

Easter Sunday is 16 days away...

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    The big discussion now is are we going to be ready to ease restrictions and get back to work by Easter? Everybody is bitching and moaning about it and I think it’s too far out to decide at this point, but what does your gut tell you? Do you have any data to back this up? Maybe portions of the country will open up?

Easter Sunday is 16 days away...
    No we are not ready to be back to work by Easter.

My gut says it took China 2 1/2 months to tamp the virus down by making everyone in the Hubei Province stay home.But Americans are impatient and won't stand to shelter in place for that long and the biggest share of them are not prepared to financially wait this out.

Obviously South Korea took the first SARS outbreak to heart and prepared. The US has been caught with their pants down. We need the correct testing to quarantine only those that are positive and anyone they have come in contact with.

There is no win win in this situation. There is no win lose...

I hope we learn from this and prepare for the next time. That is my gut feeling.

Chere'

Sadly, what we need and what the average American can afford are two completely different things.

We need a solid two month quarantine. But since most Americans live check to check we cannot afford to quarantine for that long. What I'd like to see happen is have SOME parts of the country open in 16 days. Keep the hardest hit areas like New York, California, and Washington on lockdown at least until mid May.

Better yet, keep California on lockdown permanently...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

24. Likes oldno7, blueeyes liked this post
    I just hope as a nation we are not as stupid as we were after 9-11 when Americans foolishly signed away a large amout of their freedoms and liberties for a false sense of security.

American rights and liberties were never grounded or based in saving lives or false security.

Climb-Utah.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post

I dunno if I believe this. I’m skeptical. It seems staged...

I have a good friend who is a staunch former member. I mean he is just absolutely livid towards the church and it’s members. He says he doesn’t “hate the members” but i question that because I saw him twice draw on the back of his Jeep with the windshield marker things “Mormons Are the best. Everyone else that are not Mormons will go straight to hell!” And “Pray for Prop 8 to pass! Otherwise God said my pregnant wife would die!” Uh...? What?!?

I never asked him why he wrote those things but my assumption is that he plays both sides. He’s an instigator. The reddit forum, ex-Mormons, has a bunch of em. The irony is that they hate the culture of the church but then they create the situation themselves! It reminds me of the the Subway sandwich store manager who would tell her employees what to do in the case of a armored robbery, and come to find out like two weeks later the manager held up her own store as a “lesson” to the employees. Bizarre.

Anyway, basically he’s a former Mormon but tries to get ex-members (and current members) riled up on whatever the church does or doesn’t do, but does it as if he is an active member. They accuse Joseph Smith of deception but they themselves are the deceptors. Hypocritical.

So yea, Sure, it *could* be real...but with with the 24/7 danger alerts out there on the virus I am highly skeptical that an active member would call this an “angel”. If I actually met the lady or guy who wrote those words, then sure I’ll change my tune then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

27. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I dunno if I believe this. I’m skeptical. It seems staged...

I have a good friend who is a staunch former member. I mean he is just absolutely livid towards the church and it’s members. He says he doesn’t “hate the members” but i question that because I saw him twice draw on the back of his Jeep with the windshield marker things “Mormons Are the best. Everyone else that are not Mormons will go straight to hell!” And “Pray for Prop 8 to pass! Otherwise God said my pregnant wife would die!” Uh...? What?!?

I never asked him why he wrote those things but my assumption is that he plays both sides. He’s an instigator. The reddit forum, ex-Mormons, has a bunch of em. The irony is that they hate the culture of the church but then they create the situation themselves! It reminds me of the the Subway sandwich store manager who would tell her employees what to do in the case of a armored robbery, and come to find out like two weeks later the manager held up her own store as a “lesson” to the employees. Bizarre.

Anyway, basically he’s a former Mormon but tries to get ex-members (and current members) riled up on whatever the church does or doesn’t do, but does it as if he is an active member. They accuse Joseph Smith of deception but they themselves are the deceptors. Hypocritical.

So yea, Sure, it *could* be real...but with with the 24/7 danger alerts out there on the virus I am highly skeptical that an active member would call this an “angel”. If I actually met the lady or guy who wrote those words, then sure I’ll change my tune then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am with you, I questioned it to. I was told it came from Logan. And to look in the right hand corner of the photo... but given we live in Utah I still found it funny.

Chere'

29. Likes jman liked this post
    Welcome to 1984.

Name:  ED981CFC-9851-4D13-B0F8-FA05425357D0.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  23.3 KB
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

31. Likes oldno7 liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum