Thread: Red Ledges - Spanish Fork, UT

Red Ledges - Spanish Fork, UT

I wanted to do some repelling at Red Ledges near Spanish Fork, UT off Diamond Fork Rd. Anyone know how the snow might be in this area right now? Suggest waiting? Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It is always hit and miss up there this time of year. I am guessing there is snow.... or at least will be by Monday. :) I generally don't even try to get up there this time of year, to be truthful.
    Life is Good

I drove past red ledges yesterday. The gate is open past there, so you can drive all of the way to it. And there are only occasional patches of snow. That will likely change tonight.

5. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Thanks to all. I think this coming week I'll be heading down to the Swell so I might just stop by and check out Red Ledges on the way.

I stopped by there this past weekend (4/4/20) and it was all clear of snow and it was great weather. However, an emergency helicoptor zoomed in and landed. An ambulance also showed up and took a person away on a stretcher.

Name:  20200404_141040.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  104.3 KB

Met up with a friend and headed out to Red Ledges. We hiked up to a spot that I've seen many people rappel from (I think just 20' or so north of the parking lot and really close to the road). There were three anchor spots. All of them only had webbing attached to the anchors. I was expecting chains. Also, no quick links. I did not understand why someone would not have attached and left on as this would avoid people putting rope through the webbing on the last rappel. I'm I missing something?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    Also, no quick links. I did not understand why someone would not have attached and left on as this would avoid people putting rope through the webbing on the last rappel. I'm I missing something?
    Only that canyoneers and climbers are cheap asses.

Always best to have all your own gear anyway as anchors are always suspect and often in need of repair.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post

Always best to have all your own gear anyway as anchors are always suspect and often in need of repair.
    Canyoneers are basically vagrants.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Canyoneers and climbers are the cheapest people I've ever been associated with.

It makes me laugh when my racing buddies think nothing of dropping two grand on a set of tires that won't last the night but canyoneers bitch about 90 cent quick links.

But that also means that either the last rappel was done with the rope through the webbing or the person climbed back up, retrieved the carabiner or quick link and then walked back down.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    But that also means that either the last rappel was done with the rope through the webbing or the person climbed back up, retrieved the carabiner or quick link and then walked back down.
    And your point is?

Quick links are spendy--yo..

I'm surprised they left webbing.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I'm surprised they left webbing.
    I've never seen webbing left on any anchor at Red Ledges. Everyone I've seen (including our group) sets up their system (usually Bunny Ears (Figure 8 Double Loop Knot) from quick links) and cleans everything before they leave.

The rappel further up the trail on the right is better IMHO. Look for the sun carved into the wall at the bottom of the dryfall. Much easier for teaching beginners.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    I've never seen webbing left on any anchor at Red Ledges. Everyone I've seen (including our group) sets up their system (usually Bunny Ears (Figure 8 Double Loop Knot) from quick links) and cleans everything before they leave.
    But that means the last person would need to walk down?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    The rappel further up the trail on the right is better IMHO. Look for the sun carved into the wall at the bottom of the dryfall. Much easier for teaching beginners.
    I "started" rappelling as I want to be able to hike more slot canyons. I'd rather not need to rappel at all so it is really a means to an end. It is embarrassing but I could not bring myself to go over the edge while I was at Red Ledges. I had a hard time at Goblin's Lair. I think I need to find a really short/low rappel and practice. I'm not scared or nervous, I just can't overcome by brain saying "NO".

But that means the last person would need to walk down?

I "started" rappelling as I want to be able to hike more slot canyons. I'd rather not need to rappel at all so it is really a means to an end. It is embarrassing but I could not bring myself to go over the edge while I was at Red Ledges. I had a hard time at Goblin's Lair. I think I need to find a really short/low rappel and practice. I'm not scared or nervous, I just can't overcome by brain saying "NO".
    People usually make multiple laps from the same rappel station as it's for training purposes. So having the last person on the last lap clean the anchor and walk down.

If you go back, go to the rappel that I described earlier. It has a very easy and gradual start and it's only about 40' with no free hanging at all. It's the only rap that we would take youth groups as it's perfect for newbs.