Thread: Level 6 - Emperor Dry Suit

Blog Entries

Level 6 - Emperor Dry Suit

Has anyone used these bad-boys for canyoneering?

https://www.levelsix.com/products/em...31586080456784

I saw that Backcountry.com listed from the manufacturer that these were made for kayaking AND canyoneering.

I've looked for reviews with canyoneering and didn't see any, but in the kayak world - people love them! In fact, it's rated on most gear review websites at a 9.5 out of 10.

And cost isn't too shabby for a drysuit either: $869

Name:  drysuit.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  38.2 KB

Here is the synopsis::

"The Emperor is a heavy duty drysuit built to stand up to the toughest tests on the water. From whitewater kayaking to expedition paddling and kayak fishing, the Emperor offers unparalleled durability and comfort while keeping you dry.

This drysuit is constructed using our ultra-tough eXhaust 3.0 fabric and incorporates Cordura panels to reinforce high wear areas like the knees and elbows and seat panel.
    The careful attention to detail and included features make for one of the toughest, most versatile and most reliable drysuits ever created. The Emperor will give you the ultimate protection and confidence while paddling."

And the specs:

• British latex wrist and neck gaskets with adjustable gasket protectors
    • Waterproof relief and rear entry zipper
    • Articulated spine stitching for an unrestricted range of motion.
    • Cordura reinforced shoulders, elbows, knees & seat
    • 3.0 Ply built-in waterproof socks
    • Fleeced lined hand warming chest pocket
    • Exhaust 3.0 ply waterproof breathable nylon / cordura panels
    • Double tunnel with DCS waistband system

I currently have a Kokatat Gore-tex drysuit which is falling into disrepair after 10 hard years and am looking at replacing it. I'm not sure of this "eXhaust 3.0 nylon"...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Yes I have this drysuit and have used it in a few canyons. I bought the Emperor a few years ago to use primarily for swiftwater rescue with SLCOSAR. Our team has several of these for rescue use and because Level Six sells to team members at a discount, I bought one for personal use. It's the only drysuit I've owned so I can't compare it to other models or brands. I can say it has held up very well to a few descents(Imlay and Subway in November were memorable) in sandstone canyons. The knees, hips and elbows of this suit are made from a canvas-like material(not the nylon that the bulk of the suit uses) and I haven't used or felt the need to wear an overall or other garment for protection like the rental suits recommend. The main entry zipper is located in back, between shoulder blades, and unless one is extremely flexible and dexterous, requires a friend to successfully close. I was able to close it by myself once in my living room (with my wife spotting) but I would fear to get in or out of this suit solo in the backcountry. The front pee zipper is a very nice feature! In my opinion, Level Six makes excellent products and I recommend this suit.

4. Likes ratagonia, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Yes I have this drysuit and have used it in a few canyons. I bought the Emperor a few years ago to use primarily for swiftwater rescue with SLCOSAR. Our team has several of these for rescue use and because Level Six sells to team members at a discount, I bought one for personal use. It's the only drysuit I've owned so I can't compare it to other models or brands. I can say it has held up very well to a few descents(Imlay and Subway in November were memorable) in sandstone canyons. The knees, hips and elbows of this suit are made from a canvas-like material(not the nylon that the bulk of the suit uses) and I haven't used or felt the need to wear an overall or other garment for protection like the rental suits recommend. The main entry zipper is located in back, between shoulder blades, and unless one is extremely flexible and dexterous, requires a friend to successfully close. I was able to close it by myself once in my living room (with my wife spotting) but I would fear to get in or out of this suit solo in the backcountry. The front pee zipper is a very nice feature! In my opinion, Level Six makes excellent products and I recommend this suit.
    Dude. Thanks a ton for replying.

I was going stir-crazy because I talked to a chat rep and he said he sells a bunch to Canyoners in Europe and he said to be completely objective - 99% of people who bought the emperor for canyoning love it. And so this new model comes before March 1st.

I asked about additional coverage or overalls on top and he said that it’s not necessary unless you do a lot of sliding on top of it (which they don’t recommend...of course).

He gave me a 10% discount code, so I’ll be first in line to shell over the money. I’ll report back in a month or so at a local pond and then the Subway a month after that.

And yup, Imlay will be later this year so that will be it’s first real beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

6. Likes Taylor liked this post