Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Book recommendations, please...

Stand On It
    A Novel By Stroker Ace

Is without a doubt the best book I've ever read. The book has a huge cult following. Not to be confused with the really shitty movie Burt Reynolds made that was loosely based on the book.

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    About 1/2 way through "Area 51"

Good read if you are interested in the history of our nuclear program, U2 spyplanes, Cuban missile crisis, etc.

As a native Utahn, I remember the "downwinders"--while reading this, I can't believe anyone downwind survived.

I had no idea of the amount of Nukes that were set off, both above and below ground.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

And of course I presumed that beech was the inventor of drones but I found out they were in use by the military just after WWII.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Just finished In The Heart Of The Sea...very good, but a bit of a downer reading about how badly they suffered. Ignorance of peaceful islands nearby is what screwed them up.

They were fearful of cannibals yet became cannibals themselves. I read the wiki on the movie and it’s totally bogus. Ron Howard puked all over the story as it really happened.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Endurance by Alferd Lansing
    It should be at the top of everyone's must read list.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062881..._NL.cEb2AX44KB

Climb-Utah.com
    I started reading this on the collective advice within this thread. I'm half way through and loving every word of it.

Incredible book, a must read.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 01-18-2020 at 08:11 AM.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

7. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Just read River Of Doubt...another excellent adventure story. Teddy Roosevelt was actually killed on that trip but it took another 5 years for death to finally choke him out. He was one tough SOB.

That journey was the very definition of “not having your shit together”.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Just finished yet another backpack trip and read The Emerald Mile. Another excellent book.

It’s about three dirtbag ‘70s era Grand Canyon river runners legendary speed run in a wooden dory during the massive release from the Glen Canyon Dam in June of ‘83. Very well written...it weaves together what they did with the near catastrophe of the dam.

A page turner...highly recommended.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Just read River Of Doubt...another excellent adventure story. Teddy Roosevelt was actually killed on that trip but it took another 5 years for death to finally choke him out. He was one tough SOB.

That journey was the very definition of “not having your shit together”.
    Have read quite a few books on Teddy.

Will have to look into this one.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

So I read Shadow Divers and figured the book to be so-so. The authors writing style is somewhat juvenile...certainly nowhere near as good as these other books I’ve recently read. The Emerald Mile was downright eloquent.

Also, I think the author was disrespectful and condescending of the divers that died trying to explore the wreck. The gory details of their suffering and the deterioration of their bodies really wasn’t smart. Certainly fine in fiction, but in real life have a bit of respect for the families.

The story itself is quite fascinating...now I wish to read more about Uboats. Those poor kids (the crew of the uboat mostly all in their early 20s, one just seventeen!)...they all knew they were going to die...and just two weeks after they sailed away from Germany they all did. Horribly, too. What a waste, especially since the war was lost and Hitler would be dead in just two months.

I just watched the Nova episode Hitlers Lost Sub, which covers the discovery and investigation. I suggest watching that over reading the book.

For those of you that are familiar with this story...look up the Wikipedia on U-869...there’s some updated info on how it may have met it’s fate.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Rocket Men was a good read...it's about Apollo 8, which was probably the most ballsy mission of the whole program...it was Apollo 8 that made landing on the moon 6 months later a piece of cake. They took BIG chances. Good book, but written in High School like prose.

So I'm home now and on the redeye from Hawaii they have lots of movies to chose from on the little video screen on the setback in front of you Since I've been doing reviews, I throw down a little one for that movie I watched...Joker.

Ah...it sucked. It was kind of like a remake of Taxi Driver, but nowhere near as good. I wouldn't recommend watching it cuz after it was over I kinda felt like I'd just taken a swim in a sewer...just misery from start to finish. Speaking of DiNero, as soon as he showed up in this movie it shut it down right in its tracks.

There's a lot of mental illness in my family...my mother was schitzo and several others have had to be hospitalized for being sideways. I know what crazy looks like, as I grew up with it.

I'll tell you what, Joaquin Phoenix didn't have to do a lot of "acting" in that movie...that dude is crazy for real. Made what Heath Ledger did with the character look an amateur.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

14. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Name:  AD3341B7-1958-4A5F-8C2B-6ED3810760AE.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  22.2 KB
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

"The Worst Journey in the World", one of the best in the last couple of months, and I found out about it thanks to the review of the book, because it is a real time saving and thesis information is most important. And if you urgently need to get such material on the book you have passed or for other similar purposes, then https://edusson.com/write-my-book-report will definitely help you with this not an easy matter, a team of professional writers takes care of your book reports, they will do everything quickly and efficiently, I am always happy with the result, try it.

17. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    Any of the trhe history books from Bill O'Reilly's Killing Series is excellent... some are better than others.

Killing Crazy Horse, Killing the Rising Sun and Killing England are some of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesGlasfurd View Post
    "The Worst Journey in the World"
    Just added to my must read list.