Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Birthday Bogley - 15 Years!

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    BOGLEY is the first initials of my last 6 girlfriends

At the time of creation of Bogley.com, obviously. When are you going to update it to include those you’ve had since then?
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries

Happy Birthday Bogley - 15 Years!

I remember back in early 2006 coming across uutah.com after looking for “hiking in St George”. I just moved to St George for college, the outdoor life, and beautiful women (and boy was there ever!). I remember Sombeech, Acca, Gremlins of Rocks, ice, James Wadsworth, Bo Beck, Tanya, and Scott P from the beginning and be heavy regulars.

Like Sombeech said, this was before Facebook but just by a year. Back then it was all MySpace. I signed up and was even highlighted on the homepage as newest members so I instantly had like 500 friends. Lol. And the ones from Utah I would spam to come to uutah because it was fresh, had a lot of great members who helped out everyone and from time to time had some really funny moments.

And a forum is like a living person I have noticed. I have belonged to other forums with other hobbies like woodworking, jeeps, scuba diving, etc. and that’s exactly the case. Most of these forums are now defunct due to one reason or another.

Bogley has had a similar ride in a way - heavy influx of members, then certain members definitely stood out and caused intense “flamewars”. IE CarpeyBiggs (Dan R.), Restrac, Nic (from Backcountrypost) Scott P (who had left and returned a few times), and most recently Slot Machine. I’m sure the veterans remember most of those dramas...

Anyway, it seems to have morphed from a heavy outdoor-related forum to a political-heavy forum flavored by mostly Utah members. And that’s totally fine! And it’s winter so most outdoor stuff goes silent.

It had been amazing to actually reflect on what I have experienced because of a bogley:

-two great Bogleyfests
    -actually know the guy who has had multiple Viral drone videos broadcasted on TV along with social media reaching the tens of millions of views, each. It’s even cooler when I’m at work and I hear people talk about the latest viral video from KSL and know that its a member here
    -had a guy PM me here for an IT job interview down in Salt Lake. I actually met the guy, interviewed, was offered the position but later declined due to low salary offer
    -met Blue_Eyes at Weber State who gave me helpful advice while looking into different career options
    -had lunch with Acca and Sombeech discussing the future of Bogley many years ago.
    -met up with Justin on a few occasions for some outdoor drone shoots
    -met up with some Canadians, a family from Belgium, a few folks from Ireland, a couple from Australia, and a few people from England to “guide” them (for free) through slot canyons across the years. THAT was cool!
    -if you canyoneer and know candition.com, well that started here! I created a thread that was continually updated with the current slot canyon “conditions”, and out of the blue, a member PMed and said he had been working on a website that took all what I was doing and made it MUCH more accessible. It has actually turned into a great success for the canyoneering community and I smile when various news scources and social media groups comment on using it . Kinda cool to see a passion of mine turn into a service that canyoneering community uses regularly. And yes, I’m in contact with the same member even today and he has some great plans to update it to version 2 (which also includes a mobile app for usability!)

And speaking of canyoneering (and hiking) and for those who don’t know, Backcountrypost and Canyon Collective essentially started their roots here. There was a lot of drama between some members which led them to create separate forums which have grown greatly and are a pretty great resource for specific outdoor info. Drama aside, their roots where here

Good stuff. Great members (the few of us that remain....and or lurk)

And What does the next 15 years look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

^^^^ Whew!! I thought this was going to be a lengthy explanation about how you have had fun but have decided to move on.

I'm really glad it's not that.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

5. Likes DiscGo, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

Happy Birthday Bogley - 15 Years!

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    ^^^^ Whew!! I thought this was going to be a lengthy explanation about how you have had fun but have decided to move on.

I'm really glad it's not that.
    Nah, I just just getting sentimental for a bit and rambled on. But it’s all true - Bogley has been a part of some pretty cool things. Even better yet by inspiring people by hosting their own outdoor-related VLOGS and guides, etc. posting about their adventures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

7. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I was about 2 years late to the UUtah.com party. I joined near the end of 2006. I have made some real world friends and some great online friends. People have shared details about some great outdoors locations with me. I've learned to Canyoneer through people on this site and I've had my online skin thickened enough through my membership here to surf the rest of the internet unharmed . Thanks for the good times, Bogley!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Yvonne was a great shag! (I assume the same one?)

i think i first heard about uutah/bogley on the Canyoneer Yahoo Group. i joined uutah after talking about it with eric godfrey on a canyoneering trip.

11. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    And speaking of canyoneering (and hiking) and for those who don’t know, Backcountrypost and Canyon Collective essentially started their roots here.
    Canyon Collective started its roots in the Canyons Yahoo Group in may 2000. the move to a BBCode based internet forum (Canyon Collective) may have been inspired by uutah/bogley

It’s fun to look back at old posts. I guess Shane’s Yahoo group started right around the same time as the canyons group. Boy did those Yahoo groups become archaic over time.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...climb-utah-com

As far as poaching, everybody did it. We tried to tell everyone we could about Bogley (as Beech mentioned) in other forums and the founders of these new forums that were spun off from Bogley, poached and recruited right from Bogley.

I’m sure everyone has been getting emails from Yahoo announcing the coming demise (today) of the Yahoo Groups platform.

Code:
    Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members. Learn More: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN31010.html?impressions=true

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    I guess Shane’s Yahoo group started right around the same time as the canyons group.
    the canyoneer yahoo group was established a year later in april 2001

Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    the canyoneer yahoo group was established a year later in april 2001
    Oh yeah, that’s pretty close. Back in Yahoo’s glory days. Boy did they fall off the map.

Here is some light reading back in the good ole days...

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ah!-Rah!-yahoo