Thread: Ford v Ferrari

Ford v Ferrari

The start of the 1966 24 Hour of Le Mans. Having waved the starting flag, Henry Ford II (first suit on the left) hustles across the track while the drivers spring to their cars.(Photo: Ford)

Ken Miles was Shelby's competition director. A successful US racer, he was thrust into the international limelight as the Ford GT40's chief engineer and driver.(Photo: Ford)

The winning #2 Ford GT40, right, and second-place #1 car, left, in the Le Mans pits prior to the 1966 race.(Photo: Ford)

The contract drawn up by Ford to merge Ford and Ferrari in 1963. Enzo Ferrari's signature never appeared on the bottom line.(Photo: Ford Archives, Ford)

The finish of the 1966 Le Mans race. The #1 and #2 Ford GT40s crossed the line ahead of the #5 car - though Ford wanted the #1 car driven by Miles/Hume to win, the #2 car of McLaren/Amon was awarded first because it started further back on the grid. Ford Archives, Ford

2. Likes xjblue liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

So I went to see the Ford v Ferrari movie yesterday and it's a good flick, but it does butcher history pretty good, not to mention the racing footage was pretty hokey to anyone that has buckled their ass into a race car before, but it's still a must see movie.

An acquaintance of mine wrote the following review on the movie for the Detroit News, which I thought was a pretty good... enjoy the movie and the short article below...

Track-side at Road Atlanta where Ford’s blindingly quick 2019 GT race car was competing in October, I asked Ford performance chief Mark Rushbrook if his company had contributed to the “Ford v Ferrari” movie that's opening this weekend.

“We had nothing to do with it,” replied the man who oversees Ford racing. “I hope the Ford still wins.”

The rest of his review is here....

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/op...ri/2567859001/

And here's the movie trailer....

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I did get to meet Carroll Shelby a couple times in my life and he always took the time to talk with you. The last time I saw him was with Shauna, my new bride, in 1996 at the Indy car race in Las Vegas. We walked over to his race shop, which is next door to LVMS, after Indy practice and Shelby happened to be there. I still have a picture he signed for us that day hanging in my home office. Shelby was in extremely poor health at the time as this was just before his kidney transplant. At the time I don't think Shauna actually understood who the old guy in the wheelchair I was star struck by actually was... hahaha... anyhoo, because of all that the movie was a little extra special for me.

Climb-Utah.com

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Was there in 96 as well.

Good friend was the contractor in charge of reinforcing steel.

He had 2 rows on the start finish line.(pole)

First and only time we got trapped in the exodus--I believe well over an hour to get out of parking lot.

seems like the turn 4 seats weren't completed in time for this race.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

At the 96 Indy car race a lot of things were not finished at the track. The worst was the concession stands and drinking fountains were not in. All food and drink was sold through food trucks. It was a miserably hot day and the food trucks, in the best Vegas tradition, were charging $5 to $10 for a bottle of water. Medical was overwhelmed with cases of hypothermia and heat exhaustion. The place was packed as all the contractors who had worked on the track got free tickets.

Pro Tip - whenever you go to a race you want to sit in either turn 1 or 4 as that is where all the action happens. You also want your seats as high up as you can get them. We carry radio scanners so we can monitor all the driver to spotter action. I program each car into the scanner so the car number matches the channel number. Then I set the scanner for 3 to 5 drivers I want to listen to. Robby Gordon was always a favorite as he pretty much was none stop talking during a race and you always knew everything that was happening with his team.

Climb-Utah.com

If you've seen the Ford v Ferrari film about Le Mans 1966, here's what happened there a year later – and it's just as intriguing a story!

As told by Dan Gurney and AJ Foyt – find out more.

https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/ne...-gt40/4603062/

Name:  Screenshot_20191127-083158_Facebook.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  78.3 KB

First Shelby Cobra sells for $17.7-million, priciest American car ever

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ticle31505484/

12. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    MACKINNON: Ford V Ferrari Depicts History — Hollywood Liberals Should Get Over It (And Take A Cue From Steven Spielberg)

Douglas MacKinnon Contributor
    https://dailycaller.com/2019/12/10/m...ari-hollywood/
    December 10, 2019

Some in Hollywood seem to believe that history and the truth should be alterable, reversible or deniable so that they may view it through the prism of their present-day biases.

However, most people would agree that neither history nor facts should ever be changed to benefit one political party over another, or one community over another.

I thought about that truth when reading some of the negative reviews and criticism directed at “Ford v Ferrari,” the movie starring Christian Bale and Matt Damon.

One progressive site attacked it with the headline, “‘Ford v Ferrari’ is the climate change horror film nobody needed.” It added that the movie is laced with “xenophobia” as well as “white masculinity.”

A Bloomberg News author criticized the movie as well, writing that it was a “devastating picture of the lack of diversity that permeated the [automobile] industry in the 1960s.” The author added, “When I say ‘men,’ I mean white, straight men … Ford v Ferrari shows a generation best left dead and gone.”

In other words, human beings who, with no say in the matter, happened to be born white men, fought in World War II and grew to love cars, racing, and business are “best left dead and gone.”

The hit film being criticized for its “white masculinity” takes place between 1959 and 1966, chronicling and celebrating the collaborative effort between acclaimed race-car designer and driver Carroll Shelby, Hall of Fame English race-car driver Ken Miles, Henry Ford II, and the various teams, executives, and employees supporting them in their epic battle to break Ferrari’s dominance of the famed 24 Hours of Lemans race.

They were — as recorded by history — white men.

To be sure, that same history also dutifully reminds us that during the time period depicted in Ford v Ferrari, rampant discrimination was directed at women, minorities, and the LBGTQ community. All of it was reprehensible. Much of it was cruel, illegal, and quite tragic.

But what, now, would satisfy those on the left criticizing a film made in 2019 for its historically accurate — and needed — depiction of the white men involved in the story from that time?

Should the film have never been made? Should the actual history of that moment be censored because it offends the sensitivities of some on the left today? Should white male Carroll Shelby have been played by a female actor named “Carol”? Should male Ken Miles have been played by Danica Patrick? Should the Ford GT 40 and the Ferrari have been replaced by a hybrid Prius and a Chevy Volt?

At what point do some of the more reasoned voices in Hollywood speak out against this criticism?

Matt Damon and Christian Bale — in Academy Award-deserving roles — are openly, proudly liberal in real life. Do they have a duty to defend the movie they made?

History is history and facts are facts. No matter how offensive they may be to some, they should never be censored, changed, or denied for anyone or any side.

In 2012, Steven Spielberg came under some criticism for reimagining certain scenes of Civil War history in his movie “Lincoln.” Changes, which some believed, reflected his politically correct viewpoint of 2012 and not the realities and actual history encountered by President Lincoln during that nation-shattering time.

I say that as someone who knows Steven Spielberg to be one of the most decent, giving, and thoughtful people ever. In 1998, when I was director of communications for former Sen. Bob Dole — who was chairman of the World War II Memorial — we were desperate to get any donations to help fund the groundbreaking ceremony for that now-beloved World War II Memorial.

Hollywood slammed door after door in our face. The industry collectively made hundreds of millions from depicting World War II, but could care less about the memorial. I asked Dole if I could reach out to Spielberg, who had just made “Saving Private Ryan.” The senator thought it might be another “slammed door,” but told me to try.

When I reached Spielberg’s office, I mentioned that if we could just get an eighth of the amount needed, it would be a huge help in securing the rest. Spielberg cut right to the chase. “How much is the entire amount?” he wanted to know. I told his office the groundbreaking would cost almost $650,000.

The next day, Spielberg sent a a personal check to my attention for the entire amount.

Aside from being incredibly kind and generous, Spielberg is also one of the most respected, accomplished, and powerful filmmakers on the planet. As such, he more than anyone, knows the power of movies to influence.

Because of that, he must ultimately know that no movie should bend, shape, or deny history to reflect a partisan or personal point of view contrary to actual history. It’s wrong, and it’s dangerous.

Spielberg himself became “overly sensitive” to criticism from the left at one point and censored guns out of his own movie, “E.T.,” before reversing himself. He called it a knee-jerk reaction “I lived to regret.”

Ford v Ferrari is a slice of history. History which should not be changed nor denied to appease the “overly sensitive.”

It is exceptional filmmaking and acting, and it should be vigorously defended by all in Hollywood.

Douglas MacKinnon, a political and communications consultant, was a writer in the White House for Presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush, and former special assistant for policy and communications at the Pentagon during the last three years of the Bush administration. He is the author of the novel, “The North Pole Project – In Search of the True Meaning of Christmas.

14. Likes xjblue, dougrz liked this post
    ^^ Great article. Thanks.