Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Books Are You Reading?

What Books Are You Reading?

Ok, let me start by saying I don’t ‘read’ them often, but I do like listening to them through Audible.

I’m listening to an older book called, Undisputed Truth. It’s the story of Mike Tyson. It’s a fascinating book about the crazy life of Tyson. Lots of wild stories! It’s rated R. I’m about halfway through it and I’m really enjoying it. I remember his fights growing up and him knocking guys out in seconds. It talks all about that, but also about his life and how he grew up. So many crazy stories.

What are you reading? What are your favorites?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I read alot, about a book a week. I only read history and true stories.

I'm currently read "Go Like Hell", which is the true story of Ford vs Ferrari.

Just finished "My Life in the Red Army", which is the WWII story of a Polish national conscripted into the Russian army.

a truly fascinating book I'm reading through for the 2nd time is called "Gaze into Heaven". This documents maybe a few dozen near death experiences from the 1800s and early 1900s, many who came back only for a few hours to tell their story, what they saw, who they saw, and an interesting common factor was how many of them were upset at coming back. They had just been to the most beautiful place with many forgotten loved ones, and when they knew they were coming back, they absolutely loathed the thought of entering that beat up, painful mortal body again, like climbing into a cold stiff painful restrictive meat suit. Some were called back by prayer and were angry at those that prayed for bringing them back.

Some went on to live a few years longer with certain purposes given to them. Some saw people that had just died hours before, confused why they were seeing them there because they didn't know they had died yet. This was back before the telephone, and when they came back temporarily, confused why they saw a certain person there, they were then told that person also died recently.

Blind people have come back, describing the colors of clothing everybody was wearing, the appearance of the room and of people that were just outside.

It can really give a new and comforting thought to what comes next. These stories are from humble people not interested in fame, before media really existed, with hardly a reason to make up such odd things to say, and coincidentally matching the description of so many other stories. TV and radio didn't exist yet so these near death traits wouldn't have been known to the world in general.

Very interesting book.

5. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    The best book I've read this year was Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson.

Very well-written and lively.

7. Likes accadacca liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quick one, last week

Day of Wrath
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    The best book I've read this year was Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson.

I read that book a few years back and really liked it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post

I've read that book ;-)

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    a truly fascinating book I'm reading through for the 2nd time is called "Gaze into Heaven". This documents maybe a few dozen near death experiences from the 1800s and early 1900s, many who came back only for a few hours to tell their story, what they saw, who they saw, and an interesting common factor was how many of them were upset at coming back. They had just been to the most beautiful place with many forgotten loved ones, and when they knew they were coming back, they absolutely loathed the thought of entering that beat up, painful mortal body again, like climbing into a cold stiff painful restrictive meat suit. Some were called back by prayer and were angry at those that prayed for bringing them back.

Some went on to live a few years longer with certain purposes given to them. Some saw people that had just died hours before, confused why they were seeing them there because they didn't know they had died yet. This was back before the telephone, and when they came back temporarily, confused why they saw a certain person there, they were then told that person also died recently.

Blind people have come back, describing the colors of clothing everybody was wearing, the appearance of the room and of people that were just outside.

It can really give a new and comforting thought to what comes next. These stories are from humble people not interested in fame, before media really existed, with hardly a reason to make up such odd things to say, and coincidentally matching the description of so many other stories. TV and radio didn't exist yet so these near death traits wouldn't have been known to the world in general.

Very interesting book.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I downloaded it and am about 3/4's of the way through. Cool read.
    Are we there yet?

12. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Reading the autobiography of Dave Mustaine, he's the frontman for the band Megadeth. Typical rock star story, but I can relate to the first 15 years of his life being a crazy circus.

Before that, I read "Not Dead Yet" by Phil Collins. Couple of musicians lately.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

14. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Reading the autobiography of Dave Mustaine, he's the frontman for the band Megadeth. Typical rock star story, but I can relate to the first 15 years of his life being a crazy circus.

Before that, I read "Not Dead Yet" by Phil Collins. Couple of musicians lately.
    Very cool. I’ll have to check out the Mustaine book. Megadeth is a top 10 favorite of mine.

It's a good read...too bad I don't live nearby, otherwise you could have the book I just finished!
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Read it???

Heck ya---got the platinum bound edition....
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by paulblair View Post
    I read a lot. I only read fantasy.
    Does reading Penthouse Forum count as fantasy? Asking for a friend....

Climb-Utah.com

19. Likes double moo liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Does reading Penthouse Forum count as fantasy? Asking for a friend....

Climb-Utah.com
    Not if that friend is reading with ya.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

21. Likes Iceaxe liked this post
    The mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

“Stranger Faces,” by Namwali Serpell. Always interesting for me to read, it is new knowledge and experience, but I do not like doing written assignments, collecting information, making out sensibly, I can do it, but I am not ready to waste time on this, I often use https://paperell.com/write-my-literature-review and I recommend you, go and get acquainted with a cool and very popular service that is easy, quality and fast write a literature review for you, learn more, make an order, save your time and get a great product.

Just started reading Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom.

Downhill From Here Retirement Insecurity in the Age of Inequality by Katherine S Newman, 2019

Chapter after chapter of sad tales of pensions lost or reduced, but then comes the final chapter sublet to Rebecca Hayes Jacobs and she reports that
    Utah is the number one state in the country for income equality and metro Ogden is the most egalitarian region in the state and US. The
    good life both while working and in retirement can likely be had in Ogden according to the author thanks in part to the Air Force (big base),
    the IRS (big center), and the LDS Church (big on family and work ethic).

Rythym of war n by Brandon Sanderson

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bushwacker by Samuel Hildebrand

Not the easiest book to read, but it's a first hand account of the Missouri guerrilla war that was fought during the Civil War... Holy shit... talk about blood thirsty. The atrocities committed by both sides is hard to fantom.