Thread: New BYU eBike Study Results

New BYU eBike Study Results

I found this ebike study article and results interesting but, since I've actually ridden an ebike several times, not surprising.

https://news.byu.edu/intellect/e-bik...VzTZArHAwAdVEM
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There are so many flaws in the way that study is presented I don't know where to start.

The simplist to see is that an ebike completes to loop 12 minutes faster. So if you ride the same loop you are getting an extra 12 minutes of exercise on a mtb.

This also only studies cardio and not the other benefits, most notably it takes less muscle use to climb the same hill on an ebike. Working out with 5 pound dumbbells doesn't build the same muscles as working out with 10 pound.

With that said any exercise is better than no exercise.

YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

4. Likes double moo liked this post
    Ha, my boss just sent me that link, I was going to post it.

"The test subjects completed the course an average of 12:40 minutes faster using the e-mountain bikes, with an average speed 4.1 mph faster than the conventional bikes. While the average heart rate for e-bikes was about 10 beats per minute lower (145 for the e-bikes vs. 155 for the conventional bikes), both of those measures reach the threshold of the vigorous intensity zone."

I don't mountain bike because of the workout, I ride for the enjoyment and for the video opportunities. Having said that, the exercise statistics are very similar between regular bike and ebike. We are conditioned to spend a certain level of energy for any given activity. So between the 2 bikes, you are spending similar power, but you are traveling much further with an ebike.

If you're riding for enjoyment and not exercise then ebike is definitely the way to roll.

I'm just the opposite. I ride a mtb because it's one of the few forms of exercise I don't get bored with.

Climb-Utah.com

7. Likes BasinCruiser, Sombeech liked this post
    FWIW - This study is almost the exact same argument walkers use to compare their workout to runners...

Climb-Utah.com

9. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Ha, my boss just sent me that link, I was going to post it.

"The test subjects completed the course an average of 12:40 minutes faster using the e-mountain bikes, with an average speed 4.1 mph faster than the conventional bikes. While the average heart rate for e-bikes was about 10 beats per minute lower (145 for the e-bikes vs. 155 for the conventional bikes), both of those measures reach the threshold of the vigorous intensity zone."

I don't mountain bike because of the workout, I ride for the enjoyment and for the video opportunities. Having said that, the exercise statistics are very similar between regular bike and ebike. We are conditioned to spend a certain level of energy for any given activity. So between the 2 bikes, you are spending similar power, but you are traveling much further with an ebike.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by johnrr65 View Post
    +1
    Nice