Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pet Peeves

Taxes are my pet peeve... taxation is theft.

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I also hate slow drivers...

Climb-Utah.com

Is it too much to expect professional manners, appearance, and interaction from doctors when you go and visit them to discuss sensitive issue/condition that may impact your health and possibly life? Or am I asking too much for a doctor these days, and is this just a silly pet peeve that I need to get over?

My wife was recently referred to a cardiologist, and I accompanied her to the initial office visit for the first time meeting this doctor. While we were seated in the side chairs in exam room, this young 30s something cardiolist comes walking into the room to meet us and question my wife about her symptoms and concerns. He looked about as unprofessional and acted as disinterested and unintelligent as the bare minimum requirements would likely allow for a doctor. He was dressed in simple drab medical scrubs, with crocs on his feet, long unkept barely combed greasy hair, and hadn't shaved in several weeks. He came in, plopped down on the docs exam stool, and throughout the majority of the interview/exam leaned onto exam table to hold up his head while he lazily put much of his weight on it. When talking with my wife, he hardly asked any follow up questions, and in describing heart functions and other processes relative to her symptoms, he really struggled to express the terminology and functions. One valuable lesson I remembered early in college is that a good measure of your understanding of a complex subject is your ability to explain and describe that concept to someone who knows nothing about that concept. This guy really struggled spitting out the proper terminology and describing what was going on.

I'm sure if pressed him about lifestyle habits that are good for a healthy heart and cardiovascular system, he would spit out a textbook answer about good diet and regular exercise. But, it was clear that this guy doesn't practice anything close to what would be considered any type of diet control or regular exercise. He had a very nice size gut, and from the absolute lack of any muscle tone in his exposed arms, he hadn't stepped into a gym or done any exercise in years - if ever. I bet if I took him up on the BST anywhere, his cardio was likely so bad, he wouldn't last a 10 min brisk walk before having to stop for a long break to catch his breath.

Comparing this clown to my orthopedic surgeon that I've had for 25+ years is like night and day. Whenever I visit the ortho, he comes into the exam room wearing nicely pressed shirt and tie, with either a sport jacket or lab coat on, pressed dress trousers, and nice clean loafers. Clean groomed hair cut, and clean shaven. When talking with him about my symptoms and concerns, he is very attentive and asks good follow up questions. He understands and knows his stuff, and is great and describing what is going on and giving a clear detailed diagnosis and analysis. Kind of that meme with the 2 pics with Carry Grant on one side in a suit and full length dress coat, and on the other a sloppy millenial with a man bun, baggy clothes, and flip flops - with the caption of comparing real men from previous generations to todays 'man'.

How am I supposed to respect and trust the analysis of a doctor that gives the impression that he doesn't want to show up to work and act and look professional to patients who are potentially putting their life into his hands?
    I learn from the mistakes of people who took my advice.

Preferred Pronoun: Lambda-Gamma-Beta.

Proud member of the LGBFJB community.

I'd get a new doctor. There are a lot of good doctors out there. Are you in Utah? I think I could recommend a couple to you if you are in the metropolitan area (SLC north to Davis County or south to Utah County). I am a firm believer in looking the part and paying attention to the client/ patient. Sorry for your lousy experience.
    Life is Good

6. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    Just remember... 50% of all doctors are below average....

Could have been worse...the guy could have been a torn up meth addict. Seems like everybody is hiring those guys these days.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.