Thread: Backcountry.com is suing over use of word “backcountry”

Backcountry.com is suing over use of word “backcountry”

Backcountry is suing anyone who uses the word “backcountry” in their business. Even Backcountry Babes, an avalanche safety course...

Is it bullying or just business?

https://coloradosun.com/2019/10/31/b...just-business/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They can sue but it will not hold up in court. I've been through this business naming thing several times and basically the word "backcountry" is to generic.

In other words you can't start a company called "Knife.com" and sue anyone using the word knife as it's already excepted as a generic term in the english language.

I'm amazed Backcountry(dot)com is even attempting this as it's first year law school stuff, unless they are hoping to get a truck load of free publicity out of doing so it really doesn't make any sense.

Notice how I typed Backcountry(dot)com, so it doesn't boost their search rankings :-) See what i think they might be attempting to do?

Yeah, it's like Taco Bell suing other restaurants for serving "tacos".

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    Yeah, it's like Taco Bell suing other restaurants for serving "tacos".
    More like using the word "Taco" in there name, but yeah, that's the general idea.

Right. Taco Time is going down. I can see it now.

If I remember right, someone tried to trade mark the term "mountain bike". I think it was Specialized. They said they invented the term and wanted to bar anyone else from using it in their marketing materials. They lost that, obviously.

There was a guy that tried to patent the fork and was told to go pound sand as they were already in the public domain... same thing...

Backcountry.com is suing over use of word “backcountry”

I think it’s giving them negative publicity, but as they say, there is no such thing...

Backcountry CEO issues a statement after major backlash: “We only want what’s best for the whole community and we want every person and business in it to thrive. Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word “backcountry” or completely preventing anyone else from using it. But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions.”

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-s...rce=gearjunkie

Too little too late. People are angry...

And the only reason Backcountry is sorry is it hit their bottomline hard... and has nothing to do with that bullshit press release saying they made a mistake....

Climb-Utah.com

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    Backcountry CEO issues a statement after major backlash: “We only want what’s best for the whole community and we want every person and business in it to thrive. Backcountry has never been interested in owning the word “backcountry” or completely preventing anyone else from using it. But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions.”

https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-s...rce=gearjunkie

"But we clearly misjudged the impact of our actions". Dicks Sporting Goods: First time, bruh?

14. Likes Iceaxe, oldno7 liked this post
    Love that line about "never wanting to own the word Backcountry". Isn't that what this whole thing was about? You wanted to own that word???

I've never purchased anything from them before because they are big fans of wilderness advocacy groups trying to restrict access to public lands. This just gives me another reason to stay away.

16. Likes jdn1221, Iceaxe, oldno7, BasinCruiser liked this post
    If not about owning the word Backcountry, then what do they say it was about?

18. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    If not about owning the word Backcountry, then what do they say it was about?
    Exactly. Lol

I keep getting invited to this huge facebook group for boycotting Backcountry dot com

Too much virtue signalling in that group. To be honest, if Trump says Backcountry should be ashamed, most of them would reverse their boycott and run out to buy those goat stickers again.

21. Likes rockgremlin, Iceaxe, BasinCruiser liked this post
    Name:  1imu9d.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  The+comic+was+sjw+virtue+signaling+bull+let+me+tell+_c20bff211c84b67720f82154705c607b.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  84.5 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

23. Likes oldno7 liked this post