Thread: Old Man Yells at Ebike

Old Man Yells at Ebike

I don't care what you ride or how long you've been riding, when somebody greets you on the trail, give a friendly reply back. Don't be an asshole because you don't like what they are riding.

I later found out who this guy is through Strava that's another reason not to be a dick to other riders on the trail, especially if they are wearinga GoPro.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Name:  grampa-simpson-shaking-fist-blank-template-imgflip-50242930.png
Views: 1954
Size:  61.2 KB
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes devo_stevo, Sombeech liked this post
    Get off my grass!

Climb-Utah.com

6. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Keep up the good fight, brother. Don’t let them get you down. #AllBikesMatter.

You're way too nice...I would have responded with something vulgar and rude.

Funny thing is...this dude may be eyeballing these Ebikes before too long. Kinda ironic, huh?
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

LOL ok this video has been on Facebook for 22 hours and has gotten a bit crazy. Funny though, none of the ebike haters dare to comment and jump into the fire with all of the ebike support in there

So I got a private message from what seems to be a relative of the guy, they've got the same last name, telling me it's easy to ruin somebody's life from an 18 second video. Again, not a tactful way to have a conversation.

I might end up taking the video down, I don't want any public shaming of the guy, I don't want his identity released even though I know his name. I just want the point to be made, that if you're a douche on the trail and I happen to be filming, too bad for you.

But if an ebiker was an asshole on video, you bet yer ASS that shit would be global. So, I'm considering these things, if it continues to get crazy and people keep going, I'll end up taking it down.

Hell, I'll even give him a chance to explain his point of view, or give others the chance to say "yeah let's greet each other on the trail no matter what we ride"

10. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    No leave it up... I just started trolling on your Facebook page... hahaha...

Climb-Utah.com

Alright, I'll see how today goes. I'll see if I get a reply from his relative that messaged me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Alright, I'll see how today goes. I'll see if I get a reply from his relative that messaged me.
    What did you say to his relative?
    Are we there yet?

I'm sure his relatives already know he's a douche....

Here's what a relative said in a message, I posted a much too big reply that I'll paste here

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

My reply:

Yes I agree, hasty judgements of others are rarely accurate. It's unfortunate he tried to shame me instead of stopping to talk for conversation, perhaps for a more tactful way of asking if ebikes were allowed on these trails now. I would have even let him take it for a spin. But instead he chose to criticize me as he rode away, rather than greet and thank me for pulling over for him, or even acknowledging that yes, it was a great day for a ride and the fall colors were beautiful.

I'm not interested in publicly shaming him, I don't want his name mentioned, but I want to show how this contention for ebikes is childish. Beginner riders are excited they can finally explore these trails on a bike, and a certain class of bikers want to shame and humiliate them with garbage accusations of trail damage caused by fat diabetic low class novices.

I did consider removing the video after I saw the mass participation today, but my point will remain, this prejudice against ebikes must stop.

If you have something to add in response or defense, you are welcome to voice it publicly with the others. Everybody gets a voice in my posts whether I agree or not.

If you have something to add to the discussion, please add to the thread. An explanation for the video would be great and might answer some questions. I'll understand if he just had a horrible day and he'd like to apologize.

If the video is a complete misrepresentation of what happened in your/ his opinion, your public comment would be very welcome.
    If I can remove the video, but keep the thread conversation active, I'll try to do that.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

17. Likes devo_stevo liked this post
    Good thoughtful reply.
    So, he's basically condemning you for judging/assuming things about his relative without knowing him, when his relative actually did the same thing to you? Classy.
    Are we there yet?

19. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    You have much more tact and reverence for other's errogance than I do. You rock, man.

When I read his statement: 'scary we can reduce someone's whole life to 18 sec. and assume we know who they are and what they represent', my gut reaction response would have been something along the lines of: I know, right? He didn't even take that long before he so 'astutely' and 'accurately' summed up my existance by seeing what kind of bike I road, and determined the best way to greet a fellow biker our enjoying the outdoors was to scold me because of his ignorant prejudice against e-bikes, because he knows nothing about them.

You know what, I hate to think this guy could feel like he's been publicly busted, I know that fear and panic feeling. I don't want to bully the dude, I just want to show others how stupid this hate is towards ebikes, whether I'm a novice or an experienced biker, I pulled over for the guy and greeted him.

I may reproduce the video and black out the frame so you can't see the guy. I'll think about it.

Leave the video as is... it's the truth of what happened, why hide the truth?

One of the biggest problems with society these days is no one wants to be responsible for their actions.

The dude was an ass. If the man in question wants to contact you and have a reasonable discussion that would be different and be taking responsibility, having a relative or sock puppet represent you is chickenshit, so I guess everyone is now clear where I stand on the issue.

Climb-Utah.com

I own an ebike (its 2 yrs old) and today we ordered an ebike for the wife - there is no stopping progress

24. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    I own an ebike (its 2 yrs old) and today we ordered an ebike for the wife - there is no stopping progress
    I'm hoping to let my wife ride my ebike to get her more into biking, and not so much of the running BS

I'm hoping to let my wife ride my ebike to get her more into biking, and not so much of the running BS
    Here's a helpful article to try and sway her away from running. It doesn't recommend biking or cycling sadly, but it does point out the major flaws of distance running.

https://drmikemurray.com/blog/2016/1...ostly-bullshit
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Here's a helpful article to try and sway her away from running. It doesn't recommend biking or cycling sadly, but it does point out the major flaws of distance running.

https://drmikemurray.com/blog/2016/1...ostly-bullshit
    That's a great idea, next time ANYBODY says they went "Running" or they are a "Runner", I'm going to correct them and say "Jogging" or "Jogger". I'll document the reactions.