Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Depression

Anxiety and Depression

This seems to be growing over the years, but I haven’t looked at any stats. Many young people and also adults struggle with it. This is a sensitive topic. It causes lots of worry, stress, pain and in the worst cases suicide.

If it is growing, what is causing it? Is it our current society and culture? Is it related to technology? Are people just not built the same today? Why?

Again, this is a sensitive subject and we can’t know exactly why people feel like they do. We can’t force people to feel a certain way. Being tough and not accepting of those struggling doesn’t help them.

If you deal with this from time to time, how do you handle it? What causes it for you?

2. Likes Adonis liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Shouldn't this be in the pussification of America thread? My scientific research tells me the rise in both is related. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the pussification of America thread? My scientific research tells me the rise in both is related. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com
    When you have a family member or close friend commit suicide, it might change your tune.

6. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Blog Entries
    This is just something top of my head, but I would say the lack of human involvement. We are more connected than ever but we are more distant than ever. Especially for teens. Especially when they have instant access to pictures and videos starting in junior high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

8. Likes devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    When you have a family member or close friend commit suicide, it might change your tune.
    I have had many friends and family commit suicide, I've had what I consider 7 really close friends in my life, and 3 committed suicide. My mother attempted suicide by overdose and is only alive because my brother made a surprise visit at the right time. I do not know anyone who's life has not been greatly effected by a suicide... My tune remains unchanged.

The pussification of America is partly responsible for the increase in depression and anxiety... feel free to change my mind.

Climb-Utah.com

The pussification of America is partly responsible for the increase in depression and anxiety.
    I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had family and friends commit suicide or try. Perhaps you have some more helpful insights that you can share through your personal experiences?

The purpose of this thread is to help others who might need the help now, in the future or for those around them.

Suicide rate in Utah is 6th highest in the nation at .0227% of the population. Iceaxe posted a rate in his inner circle of 42.857%... or close to 2000 times higher thaat the surrounding populace.

If you need help please stay away from Axe...

The purpose of this thread is to help others who might need the help now, in the future or for those around them.
    Somebody should give you a medal, huh?

My mother committed suicide 10 years ago. She was angry, manipulative, selfish and stupid. She made wildly foolish life choices and put her kids in danger...deliberately.

You wanna tell me what I could have done to make things better, Scott? You must be bored out of your mind to create a thread like this.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by double moo View Post
    Suicide rate in Utah is 6th highest in the nation at .0227% of the population. Iceaxe posted a rate in his inner circle of 42.857%... or close to 2000 times higher thaat the surrounding populace.

If you need help please stay away from Axe...
    My inner circle is probably unique and not a true representation of the general population. The seven I considered very close friends were all guys I raced motorcycles with professionally. We traveled the circuit together, raced together, partied together and lived together for nine months of every year out of the same motel rooms and the back of the transporters. The closest group I could possibly compare it to is soldier's in combat, but that's just a guess as I've never experienced combat. Anyhoo... many ex-races have a difficult time returning to what I call normal life. They never seem to adjust to the lack of the adrenaline rush, the fan adulation, the groupies, the sence of purpose, or being someone 'special'. Many chase dangerous goals or turn to drug abuse trying to recapture the same feelings.

On the flip side is the ones that do adjust tend to become very successful in life as they bring the same passion and dedication to whatever they peruse in life. This is actually something that myself and many of the guys I raced with discuss often.

Climb-Utah.com

Suicide is a strange animal... I hadn't seen my friend Ed in a couple weeks. I called him an we went out to dinner and shared a pitcher of beer. We laughed, joked, and discussed our lives and future plans. I dropped Ed off at his house and drove home.

The next morning I get a call from Ed's brother. After I dropped Ed off he had walked into his house and out to his garage, he started his car and truck, closed the garage door and afixiated himself. Ed gave no clue and expressed no unhappiness to me....

I was closer to Ed than I am my own brother. Ed was 14 when I met him and 39 when he died. That suicide was 20 years ago and still haunts me to this day.

Climb-Utah.com

15. Likes Adonis, accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post

My mother committed suicide 10 years ago. She was angry, manipulative, selfish and stupid. She made wildly foolish life choices and put her kids in danger...deliberately.

You wanna tell me what I could have done to make things better, Scott? You must be bored out of your mind to create a thread like this.
    Very sorry to hear that and I’m not sure why you think I’m asking for a medal. In no way was I asking Ice how he could have made things better or anyone else.

I know people suffering and just wanted to have a discussion. I would rather talk about it and learn versus the alternative.

Suicide is a strange animal... I hadn't seen my friend Ed in a couple weeks. I called him an we went out to dinner and shared a pitcher of beer. We laughed, joked, and discussed our lives and future plans. I dropped Ed off at his house and drove home.

The next morning I get a call from Ed's brother. After I dropped Ed off he had walked into his house and out to his garage, he started his car and truck, closed the garage door and afixiated himself. Ed gave no clue and expressed no unhappiness to me....

I was closer to Ed than I am my own brother. Ed was 14 when I met him and 39 when he died. That suicide was 20 years ago and still haunts me to this day.

Climb-Utah.com
    That sucks Ice. There wasn’t much you could have done. Things seemed normal and you just went out and had a good time as friends. It can be impossible to see any symptoms or understand why. Ultimately if people make a decision and don’t tell anyone, then there isn’t much we can do. That’s part of why it’s so perplexing to me. I worry about people I know and want to help anyway I can.

Sometimes it’s anxiety and panic attacks. I can tell people to focus on the happy things and there are plenty of positives in their life, but they focus on the negative. These negatives can outweigh everything, even-though someone looking from the outside would see so much good happening.

I’m not sure why you think I’m asking for a medal. In no way was I asking Ice how he could have made things better or anyone else.

I know people suffering and just wanted to have a discussion. I would rather talk about it and learn versus the alternative.
    I figured you were just throwing up yet another hit and run thread...in regards to you having someone close to you that you suspect may be suicidal, I suggest you start researching professional help immediately.

Start making some phone calls. Do an intervention. Good luck.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post

Nah I think it was well intentioned.

It's a good question. Depression is not just something you can will away. You can't just choose to "be happy". I've veered into the realm of clinical depression myself about five years ago or so. I was on meds for a little while, but then eventually it self corrected thankfully. I took up vigorous exercise and pursued other things and haven't had anything close to depression for a while now. I might be happier today than I ever have been.

Other family members have also struggled and continue to struggle today. It sucks for sure.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

20. Likes Adonis liked this post
    I think Caffeine in large consistent doses plays some factor. It is a huge cause of anxiety, and it's completely mainstream. But it's also widely ignored. I speak as an addict, I consistently drink 6-8 liters of diet dew each day, y'all know how many times I've tried to give it up.

We are also more connected with each other than anytime in world history, but rarely see each other face to face. A constant pressure to appear relevant on social media, only posting the best. If we didn't do anything exciting this weekend, we share somebody else's post or meme. Fewer people know our true struggles because we don't share it online, and we are talking less with each other.

A big deterrent to suicide and depression is spending time in the outdoors.

For a few weeks, I've been trying to figure out how to leave social media, or at least try a 2 week break. It's been a near impossible solution to find. I've got daily requests, questions, side job offers for video services. I feel daily anxiety, a pressure to please everybody and the caffeine does it's thing with anxiety.

I think I'm close though, even though I've got a dozen unfinished videos I'd love to finish and share, but with each video comes a new wave of public questions and demand. So maybe I'll figure out how to walk away with that work undone, or at least take a little break. I might even surrender my phone, I'll try 1 day at a time, then maybe 2 days, 3 days....

But yeah, the increase of online connectivity, caffeine, social pressures to be "on" all the time, that can all mount up. The difference with me though, is I can see it coming. Other unfortunate people don't know how to deal with it and they see 1 solution.

Blog Entries
    There has been some good anecdotal tidbits shared here.

Also, with social media and youngsters and adults too, our selfies are literally 3 feet away from our face. And so we are literally inviting the world, friends and strangers alike to be 3 feet away from our zone. Imagine being in public and letting strangers get that super close up of view all the time.

So these young kids are inviting their friends, bullies, and other harassers (the kids who like to see Rome burn) to be 3 feet from their body, looking at every detail of your face, nose, fat rolls, eye droop, balding, etc. for open debate! No wonder so many kids like filters because it hides those blemishes and makes them look perfect.

But here’s the key - when you create the cognitive dissonance (my virtual persona and face is perfect but my actual true face is ugly) then you create that anxiety and depression in young kids. They see those selfies, see their ugly zit-faces and want to hid it from the world because they so desperately want attention. But the reality is it doesn’t work that way.

Also, on a unrelated note, I think there is a literal addiction (just like to sugar or drugs) to cell-phones. It’s in the same vein as instant gratification. That’s why you can watch people in public put down their phones and literally pick it back up 2 seconds later with no new notification, and set it back down for a few seconds, and pull it back out again and again see no new notification. That constant checking has to create some type of paranoia or OCD in a persons brain as the years go by. It’s a learned behavior, just like Pavlov’s dogs. If you can recognize that behavior within yourself, that’s a step in the right direction to battle anxiety in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

23. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    My experience in the classroom has been that coping skills are not taught. There are no consequences for their choices and it leads to them not knowing how to handle their emotions when things don't go their way or something bad happens in their life.

The worst cases of anxiety and depression I have seen have come from children of helicopter parents and tyrant parents. Helicopter parents remove all obstacles for their children and the tyrants won't let their kids move on from their past mistakes. Both lead to crippling anxiety and depression when faced with challenges.

Two of my favorite coworkers work in the Special Education department where they place a special emphasis on teaching coping skills and I see their kids handling school better than the General Education kids most of the time. Really impressive work they've been doing.

That's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    My experience in the classroom has been that coping skills are not taught. There are no consequences for their choices and it leads to them not knowing how to handle their emotions when things don't go their way or something bad happens in their life.

The worst cases of anxiety and depression I have seen have come from children of helicopter parents and tyrant parents. Helicopter parents remove all obstacles for their children and the tyrants won't let their kids move on from their past mistakes. Both lead to crippling anxiety and depression when faced with challenges.
    My son is a K-12 school psychologist and he says basically the same thing.
    Are we there yet?

Tough times don't last, tough people do.

The first 25 years of my life were extremely chaotic, but after that, things leveled out nicely. To make that happen, I purged all the toxic relationships I had...meaning I separated myself from my family. A dysfunctional group of poor, angry, bitter and abusive losers.

Having been a childless bachelor all my life, I see those that are involved so deeply with their families as being in a boat with them. Married and have kids?...then you signed on the dotted line with no knowledge of what the future brings to stay in that boat no matter what...when the waves kick up, you're gonna put up with the puke and ride it out baby.

Me? I can swim real good. When the going gets rough, I bail overboard. Sometimes that's not easy to do...you may have to sacrifice good relationships along with the bad, but sometimes it's necessary to save your own sanity. It takes courage and strength to make these big moves.

Consider fathers or mothers that have divorced and took off. Bailed. Most of the times they're considered cowards, deadbeats or otherwise selfish for no "toughing it out"...especially when kids are involved. No doubt some of them are these things, but others may have saved their own lives.

Simply being alive is like hitting the cosmic lottery...why the hell would you want to check out early? I can see putting a bullet through your brain if you're terminal and heading for serious pain, but otherwise letting other human beings or a stinking job with shitty co-workers drive you to the point of despondency is absolute nonsense. Friggin' bail. It works.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

27. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    It is a sensitive topic but thank God to social media more people now are informed of what depression is. I think what our children now needs is someone to talk to about the root cause of why they have depression and they should also feel they are validated.