Thread: Help a beginner debrief Egypt 3 turnaround

Help a beginner debrief Egypt 3 turnaround

Hi folks, new to this forum. I'm also new to slot canyoneering, but generally experienced in wilderness travel, including off trail desert travel. Looking for some insight after a recent trip down Egypt 3 in Escalante.

Went down with another new to canyoneering buddy a couple days ago.

We did fine getting in to the canyon and into the first sections and were having a great time. Passed the first wide exit (side canyon coming in from left, looking down canyon), passed the second not as wide exit (on left), and then were in the narrows that have the small pebbles/bits of rock embedded in the sandstone.

At some point in that narrows I just couldn't squeeze through any further. I'm 5-8, 194 lbs, so not skinny but not huge by any means. It felt like my chest was getting compressed, and I was worried that if I forced my way in deeper, I might have a hard time getting out.

So, we bailed, went back up canyon to the wider exit and hiked out.

I was pleased that our first foray ended safely, and we loved what we saw. Of course, I wanted to get to the end of the non-technical section though. We had spoken to two people in the last two days who were my size or bigger who said they had made it through. And two slightly slimmer guys ahead of us made it through. So, if I had had more confidence, could I have forced my way through? Or should I have tried to go up and over the squeeze? (I didn't see a great way to do this at the time).

Hoping that someone with specific experience in Egypt 3 might share how they get through that spot. General guidance on whether it's possible to wedge yourself in to where you can't wedge back out might be useful too, although I suspect it's context specific.

Note that I'm not talking about the technical section at end (rappel off natural bridges, or so I'm told by the guidebook and a couple other folks we ran into).

Many thanks!

2. Likes Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

If what you are describing is what I am remembering, we had a couple of larger fellas exit left (ldc) and go up, over, around and enter back in the canyon after that section. That knobby section isn't very long if memory serves me correctly. It's been a while since I was last there so I may be not be remembering correctly.
    Life is Good

5. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Go UP young man!

When it gets too small, you have to go up. Tends to be harder.

Tom

7. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Yes, sometimes you have to go up. Brimstone is famous as there you have to go up a huge amount (I have not had the nerve). And I am just back from one that required staying high, but a modest 5 feet or so above the ground with good foot placements, so it was not scary. I will post that TR shortly.

That said, I have done Egypt 3 once and one member of our party reversed and exited as you did. So I am guessing that is common. He was a bit larger than you.

9. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Is a climber here? I am thinking of going and climbing my first mountain next week. Any advice?

Congrats on taking the first step towards climbing your first mountain! It's an incredible experience, and I'm sure you'll love it. As for advice, make sure you have all the necessary gear and clothing to keep you warm and dry. And don't push yourself too hard, especially if you're a beginner. Take breaks when you need to and listen to your body. I recently stumbled upon this article (https://altezza.travel/en/climbing-kilimanjaro) that has some great tips for climbing mountains, including some general advice and specific tips for climbing Kilimanjaro. It might be worth checking out!