Thread: First Descent of "The Purple People Eater"

First Descent of "The Purple People Eater"

Just a quick video about a surprisingly good canyon in CO:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hell of a lot of gear on the descent when you have, uh, a parachute glider!? Nice job.

Blog Entries
    Nice guys!

Paragliding, snow cave, waterfalls, sweet slot sections, etc.

How long was that hike out? Looks like the snow field and river walk was probably few miles back eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    Hell of a lot of gear on the descent when you have, uh, a parachute glider!? Nice job.
    Takeoff weight actually wasn't too far over the usual weight I carry when doing vol-biv (fly-camping) which includes o2, lots of water, flight instruments, reserve parachutes, camping gear, a bigger harness, etc. so the only issue was the awkwardness of trying to fit all the gear into our lightweight harnesses. Thankfully it all worked though, because we hadn't actually done a fit check prior to hiking up the mountain we launched from....It was sort of a pain to carry that massive drybag down the canyon, but the glider are only about 8 lbs each, and we were very entertained by ziplining and throwing our gliders off of cliffs.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Nice guys!

Paragliding, snow cave, waterfalls, sweet slot sections, etc.

How long was that hike out? Looks like the snow field and river walk was probably few miles back eh?

I think the walk out was only a couple miles at most...It was pretty quick, but the main concern was possibly falling through a hole in the avy debris. We considered moving to classic glacier travel practices, but there were a surprising amount of footprints on the snow from other hikers with no evidence of someone falling through to their death, so we decided to just avoid low spots.

I'm honestly very surprised that this canyon had zero evidence of anyone else descending it. I think it would be pretty much impossible to "ghost" it, so if anyone else had descended it previously, it should have been obvious.

Mainly, it isn't all that far from a major campground. We used paragliders to speed up the approach, but a "normal" approach wouldn't have been overwhelmingly challenging...

6. Likes jman liked this post