Thread: FACE CANYON: What Powell water level starts flooding the slot?

FACE CANYON: What Powell water level starts flooding the slot?

Hi,
    I've a dilemma. I wanted to rent a boat for a day to hike through Face Canyon slot (& visit one or 2 other beauty spots) on Lake Powell & I know at lake level 3608 the lake stops about 300ft before the entrance of the slot. Then early summer it looked like the level had risen so much that the slot would be at least part flooded so I thought it wasn't worth going - but now the level has slipped down to 3617 & is likely to drop a bit more before I planned to go on Oct 17.

It's going to be at an awkward level where I'm not sure whether the slot will have water, whether it's ok to get through (quicksand/swims/underwater obstacles?), and if it's worth seeing and renting a boat if water hides part of the walls. It's looking like it may end up somewhere between 3610-15 when I go.

Does anyone know please at what lake level the water reaches the slot? And if it's over that level, at what level is it or isn't it worth seeing it at & it may be worth waiting for another year?

PS if I go ahead & anyone fancies sharing the cost (a few others are maybes), please let me know. I'd go from Antelope Marina & they provide kayaks with the boat in case they're needed to make the last bit to the slot. I'd also like to see the Big Pool over on the north side, but roughly at the same mileage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've done Face Canyon at near full pool and it was awesome, but that was 30 years ago. Here is a good thread on Powell Canyons, unfortunately it appears much of the beta I posted has been deleted, not sure why or who did it, but most my waypoints have been removed.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Climb-Utah.com

Thanks @Iceaxe interesting seeing old posts & photos .

I'm still old-fashioned & refer to Kelsey books initially! He suggests the prettiest Face slot (in his photos) is a few hundred feet past the 2007 level (about 3610 if I recall), so that's what I wanted to see, but that's what will fill first. I'm not too bothered about going a long way further - that would just be a bonus - & I wasn't going to climb or canyoneer, just hike. (it's planned as an "easy rest & recovery day" on my vacation!!). I wonder when you went at full pool what state that initial Antelope-ish slot was, perhaps submerged, that's what Kelsey suggests would be the case. (your link has someone saying you have to swim in, although it's not clear into what section of Face they mean)

From what I remember about Face I wouldn't worry about water level as the canyon is good at any level. For boating up the canyons I preferred high lake levels as it allowed you access to more of the canyon. YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

6. Likes kaniukr liked this post