Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to do a canyon in Zion early/mid Nov - need advice

^^^That would be awesome, thanks. For the past several years I've been trying to gather video of all the popular canyons as I think it's a big help if you've never done the route before.

Climb-Utah.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ok..trip is next weekend, and we settled on Mystery, Behunin, and one other canyon.
    Contemplating between Englestead, Lodge, Not Imlay, and and Rock Canyon (haven't done any of them).

Our leading candidates are Englestead and Rock.

As for Rock canyon - We do have two Jeep Wrenglers (rental), but the problem is that according to Climb-UT, Parunuweap Canyon normal flow is <50Cfs, and seems like these days it's flowing at ~55-65 cfs (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?09404900). I know that for some rivers, it can be a major deal, and for some it doesn't really matter. Was wondering, what would be an acceptable flow.

Thx

I have hiked UP Parunuweap at 60 cfs from Misery to French. Hiking down from Rock to French should not be an issue to experienced canyoneers as there are no major obstacles. I try to be conservative with flow rate recommendations when posting beta, hope that helps.

If you are driving out to Rock Canyon I just added this which is nearby and would be a nice way to round out the day.

Indian Canyon Pictographs
    climb-utah.com/Zion/indiancanyon.htm

Climb-Utah.com

5. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I have hiked UP Parunuweap at 60 cfs from Misery to French. Hiking down from Rock to French should not be an issue to experienced canyoneers as there are no major obstacles. I try to be conservative with flow rate recommendations when posting beta, hope that helps.

If you are driving out to Rock Canyon I just added this which is nearby and would be a nice way to round out the day.

Indian Canyon Pictographs
    climb-utah.com/Zion/indiancanyon.htm

Climb-Utah.com
    Yep - this helps!
    Thank for the top on Indian Canyon, will visit if time allows.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Capitol Reef...Kind of a far drive, but I'm listening :)...I'm pretty experienced canyoneer (I've done many of Zion's canyons including Heaps and Imlay, and few in Escelante including Headless Hen). If we end up driving there, we may want to do stay there for two days...I believe Cassidy Arch is the quivalent to Pine Creek. Anything else I should consider (BTW...I'm a large frame (fit) canyoneer 6'0, 220 lbs, 45" chest - so not sure if Pandora's Box is an option for me :))
    Seems like a good time of year to do the Canyons in Vegas... jus' sayin'...

Or Death Valley.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Ok..trip is next weekend, and we settled on Mystery, Behunin, and one other canyon.
    Contemplating between Englestead, Lodge, Not Imlay, and and Rock Canyon (haven't done any of them).

Our leading candidates are Englestead and Rock.

As for Rock canyon - We do have two Jeep Wrenglers (rental), but the problem is that according to Climb-UT, Parunuweap Canyon normal flow is <50Cfs, and seems like these days it's flowing at ~55-65 cfs (https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ut/nwis/uv?09404900). I know that for some rivers, it can be a major deal, and for some it doesn't really matter. Was wondering, what would be an acceptable flow.

Thx
    That gauge is the one NEAR Springdale. Divide by two and you get the flow in the area.

Rock Canyon is a fine canyon, but there is a LOT of Soft Sand Adventure driving (plus other driving) to get there. If you like driving...

Englestead makes for a long day. Not Imlay is good, assuming no beginners and a 300' rope are in your group. Lodge is a short day but add Mt of the Sun and it is a fullish day (but shorter then EStead).

Tom

9. Likes nkanarik liked this post