Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to do a canyon in Zion early/mid Nov - need advice

Looking to do a canyon in Zion early/mid Nov - need advice

I'm going to be in Las Vegas area early/Mid Nov, and was thinking of doing a canyon or two...not looking for a freeze fest like :)

Any advice?

I was thinking of Behunin.

Thx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Behunin is the biggest waste of a day possible in Zion. If you like long walks in the woods combined with a couple of rappels it's OK at best. If you want real Canyoneering in slot canyons you can just about toss a dart and do better... YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    dang---rough crowd.

I like Behunin
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

@Shane - Any suggestion for a good canyon during this time of the year in the LAS / Zion area?

I'd do Fat Man's Misery long before I'd do Behunin. About the same skill set and time, but probably 100 times better. Misery is one of the best routes in Zion and even better is no permit is required as the tech section is outside the park.

Some other thoughts, it's had to say without knowing your skill set and fitness,
    Birch Hollow
    Boundary Canyon
    Checkerboard Canyon
    Das Boot with Subway
    Echo Canyon
    Englestead Hollow
    Heaps Canyon
    Imlay Canyon
    Keyhole Canyon
    Kolob Canyon
    Mystery Canyon
    Orderville Gulch
    Pine Creek Canyon
    Rock Canyon
    Water Canyon
    Yankee Doodle

There is a video of many of these canyons on my YouTube channel if you want to see more.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/CanyoneerUT

Unfortunately I don't have a video of Misery. But if anyone would like to donate a video of Misery hit me up sideband.

Fat Man's Misery
    Name:  misery1.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  64.0 KB

^^^^^^^ If he doesn't want a Freezefest experience in mid November, about 70% of those drop off the list including Dasboot and Subway. I like Behunin. Misery is also a great canyon but you will get wet and depending on air temps and water level a wetsuit would be highly recommended. I have done Heaps and Kolob at the end of October and beginning of November and brrrrrrrrrr.
    Life is Good

Hey... I just gave him a big long list of canyons that are all much better than "the waste of a good day" some call Behunin.

Yep...the key was to get suggestion for relevant canyons in Nov (i.e. not going to freeze my ass :))
    I've done Birch, Mystery in the past so have them as backup.
    Is there any nice ~Dry canyon / Canyon w/o long time in the water I should consider?

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Yep...the key was to get suggestion for relevant canyons in Nov (i.e. not going to freeze my ass :))
    I've done Birch, Mystery in the past so have them as backup.
    Is there any nice ~Dry canyon / Canyon w/o long time in the water I should consider?
    1. Behunin
    2. Englestead if you go UP Orderville rather than head left down canyon into the pools and ultimately into the Narrows.
    3. Rock Canyon (short) if you exit before you get into the East Fork of the Virgin.

Englestead is a favorite although I have never gone up canyon. Behunin is fun and I personally think the big walls and scenery are spectacular, particular if you catch the fall leaves. Iceaxe doesn't like big long open rappels.
    Life is Good

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Up Englstead blows big time.

Englestead is great when combined with the Orderville waterpark... it's just Behunin on a larger scale with a long boring hike if exiting upstream.

I've never used a wetsuit in Misery as the water in the upper canyon is short or nonexistent and the water in the lower canyon is fed by a warm spring.

Yankee Doodle meets your needs and is actually a really good slot. It can be combined with Boltergiest for a great day. Boltergiest is Behunin on a smaller scale.

Spry meets your needs but I also don't rank it very high, but certainly better tha n Behunin.

Climb-Utah.com

Also... Rock Canyon without hiking the Barracks and out French Canyon is also the waste of a good day.

And Scott's statement would be correct if he said Iceaxe doesn't like big wide open canyons. I like slot canyons, which to me means you can reach out and touch both walls at the same time.

If you like long walks in the woods combined with several long rappels and zero slot canyon you will like Behunin

YMMV

Climb-Utah.com

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

15. Likes rockgremlin, ratagonia liked this post
    Hey, I don't like banging fat chicks either, but some guys enjoy it so I guess whatever floats your boat.

:-)

Climb-Utah.com

17. Likes mcweyen liked this post
    I'm always amazed how a simple question can trigger such discussion :)
    I will consult with my guys and decide on: Behunin, Misery, Englestead/Birch-Narrows, and Mystery (did many times, but never get tired of it)
    I will most likely skip: Yankee Doodle /
    Boltergiest and Spry as I have done does multiple times in the past. Rock canyon - I believe this require a real 4WD car, so will probably skip.

thanks for the advice!

Or you could buy a $50 wetsuit and really expand your menu options.

Something else you might consider is going elsewhere. Zion is not really "in season" in November... but just about everywhere else is just hitting some of their best canyoneering of the year.

20. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    Capitol Reef...Kind of a far drive, but I'm listening :)...I'm pretty experienced canyoneer (I've done many of Zion's canyons including Heaps and Imlay, and few in Escelante including Headless Hen). If we end up driving there, we may want to do stay there for two days...I believe Cassidy Arch is the quivalent to Pine Creek. Anything else I should consider (BTW...I'm a large frame (fit) canyoneer 6'0, 220 lbs, 45" chest - so not sure if Pandora's Box is an option for me :))

Where are you driving from?

Capitol Reef, North Wash, The Roost, San Rafael Swell, Moab are all prime in November.

I just posted the Cassidy Arch Canyon to get you thinking. Burro Wash is good. And I've taken guys as big as you through Pandora's Box, but you will have to work for it.

Climb-Utah.com

23. Likes nkanarik liked this post
    One of the guys will be in Vegas. We were thinking the easiest would be flying there from CA, and drive towards Zion, but this is negotiable :)

If you want to do Behunin then just do it. Or pick one off of master Shane's list

It doesn't really matter where you are, it's really who you are with and enjoying the experience

26. Likes Rob L, oldno7, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have a video of Misery. But if anyone would like to donate a video of Misery hit me up sideband.

Fat Man's Misery
    Name:  misery1.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  64.0 KB
    Shane, I did Misery 4 days ago and have a lot of GoPro footage - once I've edited it all together I'll share it with you.