Thread: Black Diamond will lay off Utah employees as manufacturing moves overseas

Black Diamond will lay off Utah employees as manufacturing moves overseas

The outdoor recreation company Black Diamond Equipment announced it will lay off 70 of its Utah employees.

The workers’ last days at the Holladay-based company will be between Sept. 1 and year’s end, the company confirmed Wednesday. The 70 employees will come from its manufacturing division, which currently has 132 workers in Utah.

The biggest product in that division is carabiners — the metal clips used by climbers, rafters and hikers.

John DiCuollo of Backbone Media, which represents Black Diamond, said Wednesday that Black Diamond wants to get more innovative with how it manufactures carabiners — making them lighter and stronger — and didn’t feel it could achieve that in Utah.

“There are a slew of other reasons [for moving the manufacturing],” DiCuollo said . “For [Black Diamond], they’re not just thinking a year out. They’re thinking five and 10 years out.”

John Walbrecht, president of Black Diamond,, is "bummed" as the outdoor recreation industry stages their last trade show in Utah on Wed. July 26, 2017, before moving to Denver.
    The Clarus Corp. acquired Black Diamond in 2010. The outdoor industry trade publication SNEWS published an interview Tuesday with Clarus President John Walbrecht. He said such climbing staples as carabiners, crampons and wall irons will no longer be made in Utah. The Utah facility will continue to assemble some products such as climbing skins and ice screws.

“This decision was not a reflection of the capabilities, the performance, or even the progress of our manufacturing in Salt Lake City,” Walbrecht told SNEWS. “It was driven by the ideology of being the most innovative, design-focused brand in this space and ensuring that our designs and our innovations can be manufactured in the absolute best places in the world. We’re looking at facilities in Taiwan, but it’s still undecided.”

Besides climbing gear, Black Diamond makes and sells apparel and equipment for skiing and hiking. It has long been an anchor in Utah’s outdoor product industry.

Both the industry and Utah’s effort to market to the outdoor industry suffered a blow when the Outdoor Retailer shows — the industry’s premier trade events — left the state at the end of 2017 in a dispute over state policies toward public lands. The shows are now held in Denver.

Still, the outdoor industry claims to add $3.9 billion in wages and salaries to Utah.
    In Clarus’ annual report, filed in March, it said about 25% to 30% of its products were manufactured at U.S. facilities. Clarus in fiscal 2018 turned a profit for the first time in four years.

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/07/...mond-will-lay/

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Looks like Black Diamond wants to get in on the $2 a day overseas child labor.... and trying to pass it off as improving quality manufacturing is disgraceful....

....Shame on Black Diamond!

Climb-Utah.com

4. Likes dougrz liked this post
    I like how they're trying to put a positive spin on exploiting child labor.

I thought the eco/environmental crowd were against money grubbing capitalism? Apparently not.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

6. Likes dougrz liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I like how they're trying to put a positive spin on exploiting child labor.

I thought the eco/environmental crowd were against money grubbing capitalism? Apparently not.
    I think once you go public all of that does out the window. They are currently a subsidiary of Clarus which also Pieps and a Sierra Bullets. I am guessing most of their stock holders don't give a damn about how this may hurt the American worker, as long as it increases profits.
    Thanos was right

9. Likes dougrz liked this post
    Tragic and predictable. Bottom line, overseas manufacturing is a method of increasing profits, nothing else.

There can't be shared wealth and shared prosperity with naked open trade. At this point, open trade is simply the exporting of wealth from this country to elsewhere.

I never agreed with Black Diamond's political stance, but I would always buy their gear if given a choice, even if I paid more, because they were a Utah company and I actually know a couple people that work there and have worked there. I guess I can just buy the cheap Chinese shit now and feel good about it.

When I first met Ratagonia he worked for Black Diamond and designed their backpacks among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    but I would always buy their gear if given a choice, even if I paid more, because they were a Utah company and I actually know a couple people that work there and have worked there.
    This is an unspoken tragedy of foreign trade. We used to buy from each other as Americans. Which in and of itself creates bonds. Now we're more just passing ships, fighting politically, with truly divergent values, and little interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    This is an unspoken tragedy of foreign trade. We used to buy from each other as Americans. Which in and of itself creates bonds. Now we're more just passing ships, fighting politically, with truly divergent values, and little interaction.
    The History of Humanity is being forged right before our eyes.

I remember when I was a kid (1970s) as they said the power of the advertising and marketing will be detrimental to our psyche. But all these years later I've come to realize that a lot of people are attracted to shiny stuff.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    Tragic and predictable. Bottom line, overseas manufacturing is a method of increasing profits, nothing else.

There can't be shared wealth and shared prosperity with naked open trade. At this point, open trade is simply the exporting of wealth from this country to elsewhere.
    Robin Williams famously said "Cocaine is God's way of saying you have way too much money".

We're so rich we're giving it away.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?