Thread: The SLC Mayoral Race

The SLC Mayoral Race

Good luck Salt Lake City...you're gonna need it.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...edium=referrer

Most of the candidates are offering free stuff....where have we seen that before? Why can't the average voter see that whenever a politician claims to make things free what he's really proposing is to raise taxes?

Some of the more absurd claims I noticed:

- Almost every candidate proposed making the entire UTA fleet electric. (This will cost millions of dollars). And on top of that, almost every candidate proposed unlimited free fare. So let me get this straight....you're gonna make all of the vehicles in the entire fleet electric, and then make it free for everyone to ride. Where is the $$$ coming from?

- David Garbett: Going 100% renewable energy by 2023, and relocating the refinery and power plant. ( He has no idea what he's talking about. Relocate it to where? Who's gonna pay for that? What power plant is he referring to, because Kennecott recently shuttered their coal plant in SL Valley (https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/05/...s-closing-its/). ----

But...he's an attorney for SUWA, so I'm not surprised at the "unbiased" platform.

- Rainer Huck: Building a fleet of unmanned electric cars as an alternate means of transportation that will pick you up at your house. ( WTF? Is he serious?)

- Richard Goldberger: Establish a "Pollution Police Department" with accompanying hotline.

In short, I'm not overly impressed with any one of the candidates. So much of what they're all proposing is going to cost the average taxpayer a ton of money.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    But...he's an attorney for SUWA, so I'm not surprised at the "unbiased" platform.
    Not surprising. I was chairman on a committee for the USFS Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest for a couple of years. We were made up of all different types of user groups. We would look at different forest project proposals and decide which ones to fund. One of our committee members was an attorney for Save Our Canyons. Same breed as SUWA. He just wasn't reasonable. He would block and question and find fault with everything. Where do they find these people?
    Are we there yet?

4. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Yeah. It seems a competetion between left, further left, and drop off the edge of the flat earth left.

Except for Rainer Huck. He seems to be more of a Libertarian/Centrist. Most of his responses were less government control, rather than more, which means he doesn't have a shot. It seems more and more, people just look to, lean on, and beg for the government to solve all of their problems.

I think you have his quote a bit wrong. At least from the SLTRIB piece: ""The technological innovation of driverless electric cars will solve all these problems. The system will work (like) Uber or Lyft but there will be no drivers, which will result in lower cost. This system will be much superior to mass transit as riders will be picked up at their door."

I'm not sure if he is proposing more support of free market 'sharing market' ideas, with push towards driverless electric Uber/ Lyft, or a government ran driverless electric fleet. If he is for the free market to move in this direction, I would think that would be a great idea and move.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    So glad I don't live in downtown metro SLC. The lunatics are running the asylum in most major US cities these days, it seems!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

And you thought the cost of living in Salt Lake was high now. Just you wait. Nobody is going to be able to afford it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by devo_stevo View Post
    And you thought the cost of living in Salt Lake was high now. Just you wait. Nobody is going to be able to afford it soon.
    That's my fear.

What kills me is that almost every one of these guys think that the solution to bad air and bad roads is to incentivize mass transit. Just get everybody to take a bus or ride Trax and that will dry up our air quality issues. I wonder when the last time any one of these guys stepped onto a UTA bus. I'll bet it's been a while.

Besides, there are precious few opportunities that are amenable to mass transit. There is no possible way I can run a half dozen errands from Ogden to Salt Lake and back using the bus. Give me a break...
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes devo_stevo, jman, BasinCruiser liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

- Richard Goldberger: Establish a "Pollution Police Department" with accompanying hotline.

hahaha. I know this guy. To say he is off his rocker is an understatement. I wish I lived in SLC just so I could vote for him.
    Thanos was right

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    hahaha. I know this guy. To say he is off his rocker is an understatement. I wish I lived in SLC just so I could vote for him.
    I just rage tweeted Chris Stewart with the following...

"You're a dummy" #utpol

I admit it... just being transparent and like to keep things simple.