Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How fat are you?

How fat are you?

I'll save you some time... Utah is ranked #47.

These are the 10 most obese states in the US, report finds

https://www.foxnews.com/health/most-obese-states-in-us

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'll save you some time... Utah is ranked #47.

These are the 10 most obese states in the US, report finds

https://www.foxnews.com/health/most-obese-states-in-us
    I'm surprised Utah is ranked that low. I see so many overweight people here.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    I'm surprised Utah is ranked that low. I see so many overweight people here.
    Yeah I think it speaks to how fat the rest of the nation is. I think there's a divide though, we can all think of some very overweight people but at the same time, in our own circles, it would seem there are so many people in the outdoors. Zion NP is indirectly asking people not to visit so much, things like that.

Utah is a mecca for the outdoors, among other states, but we've really got it good here. I think that helps, but then there are many living here who have never set foot in the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Yeah I think it speaks to how fat the rest of the nation is. I think there's a divide though, we can all think of some very overweight people but at the same time, in our own circles, it would seem there are so many people in the outdoors. Zion NP is indirectly asking people not to visit so much, things like that.

Utah is a mecca for the outdoors, among other states, but we've really got it good here. I think that helps, but then there are many living here who have never set foot in the mountains.
    Its sad that 1 in 4 people in the state are obese and only 3 states are lower.

Quote Originally Posted by DirkHammergate View Post
    Its sad that 1 in 4 people in the state are obese and only 3 states are lower.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Obese doesn't mean you are a couple pounds overweight. Obese means you are a massive fat ass that over eats and doesn't live a healthy life style.

What qualifies someone as obese? BMI is a measure which takes into account a person's weight and height to gauge total body fat in adults. Someone with a BMI of 26 to 27 is about 20 percent overweight, which is generally believed to carry moderate health risks. ... A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is considered overweight. A BMI of 30 and above is considered obese.

I always say it's a terrible shame that we live in a country where even the poor people have too much food to eat. /End Sarcasm

So, do you dare fess up? What's everyone's BMI?

I'm 21.4.

I could lose a couple pounds around the middle.
    Are we there yet?

23.5 is my number. I'm in the healthy category and feel good with how I look, especially when I look around and see what all the other 60 year old men look like.

My kryptonite is beer :-)

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I struggle with using BMI as the index. I've always been super heavy for my size. I'm 6'0/6'1 at 235 pounds. BMI would make me obese (at 32).

Its those damned heavy German bones and frame of mine. Even when I was in High School, I was like 5'7 at over 200 pounds.. an anomaly, but buff as hell.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

I'd say my BMI is zero. When I go to Hawaii in the winter I'll actually put on about 2-3 pounds, even though I'm hiking most every day. I think it's the big breakfasts I'll eat most mornings, that and lots of "Loco Moco's"...two scoops rice, a hamburger patty, fried egg covered in brown gravy.

The old timers ate lard straight from the bucket. I say go for it. A pint of ice cream is a single serving. It's nice being skinny because you can eat whatever you want.

First time I noticed how many fat people there are was in '99. I was at a Moody Blues and had great seats down on the floor. Before the band came on the place was lit up and packed...I looked around at all those hundreds and hundreds of people in the balcony seats and was astonished that nearly everyone I looked at was fat. I'll never forget that, because I'd never noticed it before.

Name:  fullsizeoutput_5fc.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  20.4 KB
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

I'm in the healthy category and feel good with how I look, especially when I look around and see what all the other 60 year old men look like.
    I'm sure you and me are in the top 5% (or higher) for fitness level for guys our age. I'm amazed at how the guys my age look and how activity limited they are now. Two weeks ago I did some canyoneering in Moab with twenty-five, 20-30 year olds. I was always at the head of the hiking line and the first down the rappell's. The youngsters were shocked when I told them I am nearly 60 years old. Many of them said I was older than their fathers and there's no way their dads could do what we were doing. A month ago we were at my wife's family reunion. My three brothers-in-law are all obese and just sat all day long, unable to do anything but watch their grandkids. Me? I'm on the ground wrestling, playing, chasing, running and giving piggy-back rides with my grandkids.
    Are we there yet?

I always tell my wife I only have a few good years left and I'm going to use them to the fullest. I know guys my age who can barely walk and have to carry around an oxygen tank to breath. I want my last years to include a high quality of life.

Suck it bitchez.... this is 60!

Name:  --02.JPG
Views: 381
Size:  176.3 KB

13. Likes rockgremlin, devo_stevo, tallsteve liked this post
    Has anyone noticed those new extra wide fatty seats in the Dr's offices? Pretty soon it'll be normal to be obese. Not at all surprises to see KY as the least active and the 8th fattest state either. I spent the 4th visiting the in-laws and was amazed as always at how fat everyone there is. The crazy part is just how lazy the kids are. My in laws live out in the hills so maybe it is different in the cities, but out of 12 cousins between the ages of 4-18 none of them play any type of organized sport and really the only exercise they get is hunting and fishing. My poor 7 year old made sure to bring his bat and glove, but never could get anyone to play with him. I sometimes get shit from people because he skis 50 days in the winter, plays competitive baseball along with rec soccer and flag football. Anytime someone tells me that he is involved in too many sports I let them know that A: He loves it and we have never forced him to play any sport. And B) I bet as for every hour my kid is outside playing your kid is logging an hour inside on video games. I'll take the first option.
    Thanos was right

15. Likes accadacca, tallsteve liked this post
    BMI is bullshit.

My entire life I've been classified as "overweight" according to the BMI. But have always had a muscular frame. I've made it a habit to strength train ever since high school, and I continue to do so. Even back when I had a body fat percentage of 6% - 7% I was classified as "overweight."

Some of the hard core bodybuilders would be classified as obese according to the BMI -- even though they have a body fat percentage of less than 5%.

Here's some more light reading on the folly of the Body Mass Index:

https://tabithafarrar.com/2017/12/why-bmi-is-bullshit/

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bmi-is-a-terrible-measure-of-health/

https://www.revelist.com/wellness/bm...accuracy/10801
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've read the same about BMI. I would agree it's not an effective measuring tool for those who are fit, particularly those who lift and are more muscular. I do think it's a starting point for those who are out of shape and overweight and are looking to start up a weight losing/exercise routine.
    Are we there yet?

18. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Has anyone noticed those new extra wide fatty seats in the Dr's offices? Pretty soon it'll be normal to be obese. Not at all surprises to see KY as the least active and the 8th fattest state either. I spent the 4th visiting the in-laws and was amazed as always at how fat everyone there is.
    Exactly. With the automation of everything, driverless cars, buying everything on the internet, jobs gravitating towards desk jobs, and with the increased obesity, at least from a lifestyle perspective, were not very far from fulfilling the Wall-e utopia.

Name:  9CC330C5-A657-493A-9451-0F59BAD305E6.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  20.5 KB

21. Likes Clipped_in liked this post
    A typical beach in the 70’s. Not one fat ass in the bunch. Oh my, how the food industry destroyed us...

Climb-Utah.com

23. Likes BasinCruiser liked this post
    Yeah, that and a lack of ambition to do any physical labor anymore. There are a whole bunch of reasons for the weight problems that we have right now, and the food industry is certainly one of them. Not the only one though.

That's a great picture though. It's a stark difference from today's world. and that's only 40 years ago. Imagine where we'll be in another 40 if we don't wake up and do something about it.

^^^Is that a French beach? More Speedos there than on a typical beach in the States.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

A typical beach in the 70’s. Not one fat ass in the bunch. Oh my, how the food industry destroyed us...

Climb-Utah.com
    This is from USSR in 1967. Simple, they weren't eating anything.

27. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum