Thread: "Just a Routine Stop..."

"Just a Routine Stop..."

Took my boy up to Causey Reservoir last night to get a little fishing in. I was surprised to see a DWR checkpoint diverting ALL incoming traffic off the road and onto the shoulder just below Causey dam. They had a bunch of hazard cones set up redirecting traffic, and there were about 4 - 5 DWR enforcement trucks parked randomly all around. One officer was out greeting all incoming traffic and asking to see: current Driver's License, current Vehicle Registration, and current Insurance.

WTF?

I asked what prompted this and the officer just chuckled and said that "They just do this from time to time..."

They just stop all incoming traffic and make sure all vehicles are registered and insured? Smells fishy.

Hmmmm.....anybody else have this same experience?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I would be interested if they complied with all the rules that exist to even have such a check point.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    I would be interested if they complied with all the rules that exist to even have such a check point.

What do these rules consist of?

They had one car already pulled over with sirens going and it looked like they were writing the guy a ticket.

Seems odd that they can just barricade the road and interrogate and/or cite everybody for no apparent reason.

LOL
    lets see....
    Once at Strawberry reservoir.
    Once on top of Monte Cristo.
    3 times at Hardware Ranch (1 the day before Rifle Elk opening, 2 the day before the rifle deer opening.)
    Once at Rock Creek above Hardware Ranch.
    All of these were administrative check points with multiple agencies involved.

Once in BFE because I stopped and asked a Forest Service LEO he he had any travel maps.
    I have been asked by State Park, FS, DNR for drivers license and registration multiple time as I've been stopped on the side of a trail on my ATV.

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Never, ever.. not on ATV, not in truck, not fishing or hunting and not when dragging my 5th wheel.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    What do these rules consist of?

They had one car already pulled over with sirens going and it looked like they were writing the guy a ticket.

Seems odd that they can just barricade the road and interrogate and/or cite everybody for no apparent reason.
    Actually, I am a bit curious about this. I reread your post and you said DWR. Typically these are hunting checkpoints if the DWR is running it. What hunt is going on now? DUI checkpoints have specific rules and notice requirements like this site from the Utah County Sheriff's office:
    http://www.utahcounty.gov/Dept/Sheri...heckpoints.asp

The DWR roadblock is a mystery. I may have to make a call or two if I get a moment to poke the beehive. In the meantime, here is the general checkpoint law. Look at paragraph 6. Next time you get checked, ask for a copy of the plan. That will guarantee an extra 30 minutes with the officer.

77-23-104. Written plan -- Approval of magistrate.
    (1) An administrative traffic checkpoint may be established and operated upon written authority of a magistrate.
    (2) A magistrate may issue written authority to establish and operate an administrative traffic checkpoint if:
    (a) a command level officer submits to the magistrate a written plan signed by the command level officer describing:
    (i) the location of the checkpoint including geographical and topographical information;
    (ii) the date, time, and duration of the checkpoint;
    (iii) the sequence of traffic to be stopped;
    (iv) the purpose of the checkpoint, including the inspection or inquiry to be conducted;
    (v) the minimum number of personnel to be employed in operating the checkpoint, including the rank of the officer or officers in charge at the scene;
    (vi) the configuration and location of signs, barriers, and other means of informing approaching motorists that they must stop and directing them to the place to stop;
    (vii) any advance notice to the public at large of the establishment of the checkpoint; and
    (viii) the instructions to be given to the enforcement officers operating the checkpoint;
    (b) the magistrate makes an independent judicial determination that the plan appropriately:
    (i) minimizes the length of time the motorist will be delayed;
    (ii) minimizes the intrusion of the inspection or inquiry;
    (iii) minimizes the fear and anxiety the motorist will experience;
    (iv) minimizes the degree of discretion to be exercised by the individual enforcement officers operating the checkpoint; and
    (v) maximizes the safety of the motorist and the enforcement officers; and
    (c) the administrative traffic checkpoint has the primary purpose of inspecting, verifying, or detecting:
    (i) drivers that may be under the influence of alcohol or drugs;
    (ii) license plates, registration certificates, insurance certificates, or driver licenses;
    (iii) violations of Title 23, Wildlife Resources Code of Utah; or
    (iv) other circumstances that are specifically distinguishable by the magistrate from a general interest in crime control.
    (3) Upon determination by the magistrate that the plan meets the requirements of Subsection (2), the magistrate shall sign the authorization and issue it to the command level officer, retaining a copy for the court's file.
    (4) A copy of the plan and signed authorization shall be issued to the checkpoint command level officer participating in the operation of the checkpoint.
    (5) Any enforcement officer participating in the operation of the checkpoint shall conform his activities as nearly as practicable to the procedures outlined in the plan.
    (6) The checkpoint command level officer shall be available to exhibit a copy of the plan and signed authorization to any motorist who has been stopped at the checkpoint upon request of the motorist.
    Life is Good

8. Likes Rob L liked this post
    Oh wow! Thanks Scott!

DWR also regulates fishing so I'm thinking that's what they were primarily up there for.

Fox 13 was reporting another one last weekend at Strawberry. Caught some violators.

The rules that Scott Card quotes for pre-planned roadblocks are very similar in the UK. There has to be a "plan" approved in law (magistrate). Usually this is at Christmas and New Year for potential drunk- or drug- drive cases.

Hunting over here is all done on private estates; the police are not allowed on private land for this sort of thing! (Nor am I...I don't have the necessary income or connections to pay £200 per pheasant or twice that for a grouse).

Random police stops here are OK, but only if there is "just cause" (same as US).

Rob