Thread: Good canyon for an older individual?

Good canyon for an older individual?

A relative of mine has been seeing our canyoneering pictures and hearing about our adventures and is dying to give it a try. He is older, and much slower, but still tries to be active. He hikes about 2 miles a day, but things like stemming or awkward rappels might be too much for him. The canyon would also need to be fairly short.

Does anyone know of a canyon that might fit the bill? I think he is physically capable of doing more than a flat hike through a non technical slot canyon, but not something filled with tricky down climbs or awkward rappels.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Keyhole sounds about perfect. Hiking Little Wild Horse as an out and back would also work, also hiking Kanarra Creek.

What part of the state are you thinking about?

In Moab Entrajo is really easy, particularly if you skip the final big rappel.

Those are all canyons I've taken kids younger than 5 y/o through. For any downclimbs you can always set a top rope, or a rappel line so there is no need to downclimb anything.

AWESOME, thank you! We are in the Salt Lake area, but he is in St George. I never considered Keyhole, but that would probably be just about perfect. Thanks for the other suggestions as well

You may want to consider Lambs knoll. Shorter, longer rappels, and dry / no cold water :)

Rap Artist Wanna-be
    You could also try Diana's Throne just outside of Mt. Carmel/Kanab. It is considered a beginner's canyon...everything is bolted, longest rappel < 50 feet, no swimming, down-climbs are easy except for one which could benefit from a top belay or partner assist, easy approach and exit, no permit required. For a first-timer 2-3 hours should be doable.

7. Likes ratagonia liked this post