Thread: Bear Attack in Hobble Creek Canyon

Bear Attack in Hobble Creek Canyon

From the DNR Facebook page:

“Earlier today, a bear entered a campsite in the left fork of Hobble Creek Canyon. (The campground was on private property toward the top of the canyon.) The bear disturbed a tent, and a boy received minor scratches on his back. Thankfully, he is expected to be okay. With help from USDA Wildlife Services, the Division was able to quickly locate the bear about 400 feet from the tent. It was euthanized, per Division policy. Any time a bear injures a human or loses fear of people, it is euthanized as a safety precaution.”

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Bear Attack in Hobble Creek Canyon

SPRINGVILLE, Utah - A boy suffered minor cuts after a bear wandered into a campsite in Hobble Creek Canyon Tuesday morning, and wildlife officials have euthanized a bear they believe was responsible.

The bear entered the Buck Hollow Boy Scout Camp in the left fork of Hobble Creek Canyon around 6 a.m.

The campground area is on private property toward the top of the canyon

“This is definitely a spot we will see black bears,” said Faith Heaton Jolley with the Utah Division of Wildlife Resoures.

"The scratch wasn’t severe," Jolley said. "He’s not going to require stitches, it didn’t sound like. He was not hospitalized or transported."

DWR staff say the small two-year-old male bear was likely just curious of the tent unknowingly placed on an animal trail.

Dogs tracked and treed the bear about 400 yards from the tent where it was euthanized. DWR’s policy is to kill the wild animal after it injures a person.

"It’s always a little sad when you have to put an animal down," said DWR Game Mammals Coordinator Daren DeBloois. "That’s why we encourage people to avoid these conflicts."

Wildlife officials are confident that bear is the one that came to the campsite, and they said it is their policy to euthanize bears that do not demonstrate a fear of humans.

https://fox13now.com/2019/06/18/boy-...-creek-canyon/

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    DWR staff say the small two-year-old male bear was likely just curious of the tent unknowingly placed on an animal trail.
    More likely interested in the beef jerky, skittles, chips ahoy, snack pack, twix, goldfish, reeces, oreo's, m&m's, trail mix, and granola bars mom packed for his snacks.

5. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Was it a polar bear?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    More likely interested in the beef jerky, skittles, chips ahoy, snack pack, twix, goldfish, reeces, oreo's, m&m's, trail mix, and granola bars mom packed for his snacks.
    Actually, the DWR said there wasn't any food in the tent and that the Scouts had followed bear country protocols.
    Are we there yet?

Hey, that was my son's packing list for his camp out!
    Life is Good

9. Likes accadacca, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    From one of the camp directors: "....we had a bear in camp this morning. It stepped on a tent and landed on a young man. He is fine..."
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    "....we had a bear in camp this morning. It stepped on a tent and landed on a young man. He is fine..."
    Unfortunately things didn't turn out so well for the bear... he is definitely not fine....

Climb-Utah.com

Had a bear come around my tent when I was camping up in the Sawtooths near a lake...around 4 in the morning. I sat up straight when I first heard it, so it knew I was in there. It sniffed around both sides of my tent then left. That was intense...I was super quiet, waiting to see what the hell was going to happen.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes accadacca liked this post
    ^^^Had the same thing happen rafting Desolation Canyon about 10 years go.

And about a week later a bear killed a guy near the same spot... that really gave me the chills...

Climb-Utah.com

Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post
    Had a bear come around my tent when I was camping up in the Sawtooths near a lake...around 4 in the morning. I sat up straight when I first heard it, so it knew I was in there. It sniffed around both sides of my tent then left. That was intense...I was super quiet, waiting to see what the hell was going to happen.
    Yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Unfortunately things didn't turn out so well for the bear... he is definitely not fine....

Climb-Utah.com
    Looks fine to me.

Name:  bear-fur-rug-bear-skin-rug.jpg
Views: 3738
Size:  42.4 KB

17. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    Is this the same spot where a few years ago a scout was dragged from his tent and killed and then his parents sued the State of Utah because they hadn't posted signs warning about bears? Or some nonsense like that....?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Is this the same spot where a few years ago a scout was dragged from his tent and killed and then his parents sued the State of Utah because they hadn't posted signs warning about bears? Or some nonsense like that....?
    Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...rk-Canyon.html

The only other incident involving children and bears that I can recall was in 1992 when a bear dragged a little girl out of a camper at Strawberry. She survived thanks to a family member attacking the very large bear with a flashlight.

That's the one. And it looks like it wasn't in the same campground -- the 2007 fatality occurred in American Fork Canyon. Same mountain range though.

Yes the fatality in '07 sparked some heated debates here on bogley, resulting in some major butthurt and all kinds of fun conversation to watch, people leaving bogley, making demands, ultimatums, requesting all kinds of stupid stuff

Ahhh the good ole days, when there was more than just one regular female poster and Scott P and Brian in SLC were almost everyday posters...

That was back when Bogley still did Bogley-fests, right?

Good times.

The only other incident involving children and bears that I can recall was in 1992 when a bear dragged a little girl out of a camper at Strawberry. She survived thanks to a family member attacking the very large bear with a flashlight.
    This one still bugs me on several levels. First, the media kept reporting that the attack happened in the campground. It did not. It happened a couple of miles out past the Timpooneke campground in a primitive camping spot on the Timpooneke road. Second, they never laid any blame on the mom and her boyfriend who didn't keep food out of the boys tent and were drunk off their butts and couldn't respond when they heard the attack and the boy screaming.
    Are we there yet?

24. Likes spades liked this post