Thread: Mount Everest Traffic Jam

Mount Everest Traffic Jam

Posted by climber Nirmal Purja on May 23, 2019

2. Likes Sandstone Addiction, dougrz liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's like Angels Landing, but here the traffic jam can really screw some people when the weather window closes. Imagine being right here in the photo and you need to abandon the summit because the weather is coming in. Personally, I would chance it, and that would likely get me in trouble, along with my party.

Crowds and wait times like that are going to push people to take more risks. Even with Angels Landing, I think we are going to start seeing some people making bold and stupid moves, either to get around somebody and their selfie stick, or in a race to get the most shocking crazy shots.

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    I've never understood this concept: getting outdoors and rubbing shoulders with thousands of other idiots that you're trying to get away from. How is that fun? When I get outdoors I try and find the most remote location away from anybody. I'm trying to get away from other people, not drag them along with me.

Am I being unreasonable or irrational?
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

9. Likes zzyzx liked this post
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    I've never understood this concept: getting outdoors and rubbing shoulders with thousands of other idiots that you're trying to get away from. How is that fun? When I get outdoors I try and find the most remote location away from anybody. I'm trying to get away from other people, not drag them along with me.

Am I being unreasonable or irrational?
    Most these types in the angles landing photo are not your outdoor types. They are tourist. They don't know how to be outdoors alone.

Your true outdoor types steer clear of this mess.

I hiked angles once when kids were young. One of the tourist tried to push past Sarah on a narrow section. I yelled at him to wait his turn politely. What I really wanted to do was push him off.

I am glad I had my opportunity to see this when Zion wasn't so popular. I was disenchanted with Zion and Springdale the last time I passed through last fall. Wasn't even the busy season but I was shocked with the growth of hotels and the helicopter tour pad.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

11. Likes rockgremlin, Iceaxe liked this post
    Speaking of hiking Everest, does anyone else NOT feel sorry for people who die while hiking it? Maybe I'm just a heartless SOB but, you have to know going in that your chances of death are significantly higher than say, hiking Timp. I suppose I feel that way about people dying from any extreme sport (wing suit flying, base jumping, back-country skiing or snowmobiling in high avy probability areas when avy risk is extreme, etc). I get it. We all need a thrill. I could go out on a mtn. bike ride, hit a tree at 30mph and never come home but, the risk of dying from activities I do are actually quite low. I dunno. I see so much extreme risky behavior and all I can think is, well, it's just a matter of time before that dude leaves his kids fatherless and his wife a widow. How am I supposed to feel sorry when they know the risks are so high?
    Are we there yet?

13. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    It's a risk versus reward choice...

I spent the first 10 years of my adult life racing motorcycles professionally, I spent the second 10 racing cars. I had many racing friends killed and crippled over the years. At the time I didn't give it a second thought because the fame, the glory, the money, and the women outweighed the risk. Others made a different choice. When I went to the starting line I always had butterflies. When I was young the butterflies were because I was afraid of losing, at some point in time I noticed the butterflies were because I was afraid of getting hurt. That was the moment I knew it was time to retire.

I get wanting to stand on top of Everest, there was a time in my life I considered attempting it, but in the end the reward of being "guided" up Everest just didn't agree with the risk.

YMMV

Hubris and poor life decisions have killed more people than the plague.

And as long as our brains continue to make adrenaline this concept will continue.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I don't think the men who climb Everest and die want your sympathies. They are well aware of the risks when they start that journey.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

17. Likes Scott Card, Iceaxe liked this post