Thread: Auto Insurance Recommendations

Auto Insurance Recommendations

What auto insurance company are you using and why? You'd think that being loyal to the same auto insurance company for 30 years would warrant some discounts but, no. Instead the rates have slowly crept up over the years and now that I've done some comparing, I'm actually being taken advantage of even though I've filed very few claims. Shame on me for not comparing sooner, I know.
    Are we there yet?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When I was in CA, Wawanesa. When in AZ, Geico. Now in CO, State Farm. Just did a lot of calling and web quotes.

Auto Owners

insurance should be bid out and price shopped every 2 years. They will take advantage of your loyalty

5. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    What auto insurance company are you using and why? You'd think that being loyal to the same auto insurance company for 30 years would warrant some discounts but, no. Instead the rates have slowly crept up over the years and now that I've done some comparing, I'm actually being taken advantage of even though I've filed very few claims. Shame on me for not comparing sooner, I know.
    Nope, you fell into the same I trap I did with Allstate over 15 years ago. We were cruising along with Allstate, and didn't even think twice about our rates until it was brought to our attention that we could get the same insurance coverage for almost $100 bucks cheaper a month at USAA. Allstate refused to match regardless of our loyalty.

Just a few months ago we switched from USAA to Geico for a pretty significant discount. We shopped around and Geico was by far the cheapest. They have really good customer service too.

The insurance game has become so competitive now that you can get really good coverage for a reasonable price these days. If you don't shop around every two years like 2065Toyota suggests, you're throwing money away.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

I've been getting quotes and so far Geico is the cheapest for the same coverage. Like a lot cheaper. $338 less per 6 month period than the next cheapest, Progressive. For some reason that scares me because it's so much cheaper. Will they raise their rates after the first 6 months?
    Are we there yet?

I've been getting quotes and so far Geico is the cheapest for the same coverage. Like a lot cheaper. $338 less per 6 month period than the next cheapest, Progressive. For some reason that scares me because it's so much cheaper. Will they raise their rates after the first 6 months?
    If they do, just shop around again.

9. Likes 2065toyota, BasinCruiser liked this post
    Blog Entries

Auto Insurance Recommendations

I have Progressive and they said every insurance company does this - gives you an enormous discount on your first 6 months (to a year) and then they raise prices significantly again. The Progressive agent I talked said that Progressive does this too for new customers.

I’ve been with Progressive for 9 years and have been pretty happy. One time they overcharged by $5 for one month and automatically refunded me a check without me knowing about the overcharge in the first place.

I’ve had two claims on my current vehicle (one driver side-swiped me for running a light and the other backed into me in a parking lot) and premiums have NOT gone up.

And after 5+ years of they have large accident forgiveness so if you cause an accident then your rate goes up.

I also insure my motorcycle through Progressive too and it’s been good. I had one claim due to me dropping it when pulling it out of storage and my premium only when up $3/month.

Plus Progressive has a good mobile app which makes things easier.

For the two claims, I did it all the through the app and it was easy peasy. I took pictures and a video of the damage and a week or so later I get a check for the estimated repair costs, followed by a reimbursement later on if the repair shop found more damage or if costs was higher than expected.

They returned phone calls very quick and have been great to deal with.

Once I hit 10 years of loyalty, my phone number gets added to a priority list where, if I call Progressive, I will immediately get routed to an agent with zero wait. (So they say).

Anyway, just my thought on Progressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Ahhh, now your in my world. I fight with insurance companies virtually every day. I have represented hundreds and hundreds of clients for auto accidents. I can give you this one hint: Buy the cheapest policy you can. That is it. You are buying a policy with dollar limits. Just compare apples to apples. Don't fall for all the advertising garbage. When claims are made against insurance companies, good hands turn into boxing gloves, your good neighbor turns into your worst nightmare. The gecko turns into a snake. (see what I did there. ) Good luck. For whatever it is worth, I have Bear River BUT ONLY because it is the cheapest policy.
    Life is Good

I shopped around two years ago when adding my 16-year-old to my MetLife policy nearly doubled my premiums. Now I'm with Auto Owners and they've been good (and cheap!). Had one claim from said 16-year-old when he did a U-turn right in front of another car but haven't renewed since then so I'm not sure how it'll affect my premium.

I also second Progressive for motorcycle insurance. I insured a couple of ATVs through them and had a claim for one totaled ATV and the premium only went up a few bucks a year. My DR-Z 250 is only $77/year to insure.
    Blog | FB

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    I just switched to Geico 6 months ago because when I moved to Utah and my daughter 18 at the time stayed in Idaho Geico was the cheapest and one of the only insurance companies that would do a spin off policy for her car.

Her boyfriend just wrecked her car last week. Totaled it. *sigh

Anyway, they have been good to work with so far. Car is paid off, it was all cosmetic so we kept the car. She is 19 now, and as it turns out her own policy is cheaper than being on mine. She falls off mine end of this month.

Not sure how his wreck will effect my policy but we shall see. They were still cheaper by a long shot than Farmers.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Farmers is hella expensive.

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Farmers is hella expensive.
    Yes they are. I regret not shopping around sooner. I am very happy Farmers wouldn't insure Sarah and I on a plan with her out of state. It forced my hand and I found better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ahhh, now your in my world. I fight with insurance companies virtually every day. I have represented hundreds and hundreds of clients for auto accidents. I can give you this one hint: Buy the cheapest policy you can. That is it. You are buying a policy with dollar limits. Just compare apples to apples. Don't fall for all the advertising garbage. When claims are made against insurance companies, good hands turn into boxing gloves, your good neighbor turns into your worst nightmare. The gecko turns into a snake. (see what I did there. ) Good luck. For whatever it is worth, I have Bear River BUT ONLY because it is the cheapest policy.
    Thanks for the advice. I've looked into Bear River. I've heard good thing about them (price being one) but, they won't sign anyone up with a fault claim in the past 3 years. So far it looks like Geico is the cheapest, comparing apples to apples.
    Are we there yet?