Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evo SS Gimbal

Evo SS Gimbal

I just ordered an Evo SS Gimbal for my GoPro, along with a Stuntman chest strap. Any tips or tricks to get the best out of it for mtn. biking?
    Are we there yet?

2. Likes Sombeech liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Cool, you'll love the stability.

Get used to carrying something a bit more bulky on your chest, and also the realization that if you crash, you could be damaging some camera equipment now. The GoPro is indestructible but the gimbal can be fragile. Also, usually not waterproof, so keep that in mind.

It will be easier to carry around than my GoPro Karma Grip gimbal though, I'm carrying this big handheld thing on my chest. You get used to it though.

One more thing, just a personal preference, I don't like the super wide view that gets both of the riders arms and their knees all in the same frame, I keep it on the regular Wide view so the handlebars are only visible most of the time, keeps the viewers focused on the trail.

Oh and one more thing, kind of a standard. The rule for photography is to line up the horizon at about 1/3 the way down the frame, so the bottom 2/3rd is below the horizon. This is photography in general and it still applies to biking videos for the best shot. So line up the GoPro, if you do have an LCD viewing screen on back, or connect it to your phone for the preview. Then get a visual of how the GoPro looks and that angle, so you can quickly look down at it during your ride and check if it's still slightly pointing down.

Once in a while with all gimbals, they will start to tilt, so every few minutes just look down at it and make sure it's level. Sometimes a hard turn will make it tilt, the G force or something. They usually level out , but once in a while you need to level it, then point it slightly downward again for the 1/3 horizon line rule.

Thanks for the tips! I don't like the super wide view either and don't use it now. I have a view screen on the back so, I should be able to frame the view just fine.
    I debated about just getting the new Hero 7 with the hypersmooth stabilization. I've looked at a ton of reviews. Seems like there's enough guys who, after comparing the 7 and a gimbal side by side, still prefer the gimbal so, that's the route I'm taking. Plus, the Hero 7 Black is right about $200 more than the Evo SS so, there's that. The Evo price has dropped by about $100 since I looked at them last summer. I'm guessing the price drop is due to the Hero 7 coming out and needing to compete. My Hero 5 Black is still running strong, too.
    Are we there yet?

Sombeech, how do you keep your gimbal/camera from flopping around while riding and powered down? I typically don't have my GoPro powered up on the long climbs I regularly do. Seems like, at least with the Evo, it's going to be flopping and swinging like crazy. Or, do you just have it powered on all the time?
    Are we there yet?

When I'm wearing it powered down, it does swing around a bit. But I wear it still just in case I want to film something. I usually don't film the climb either. You might be able to find a little rubber or foam brace, or make one yourself that you can stick between the GoPro and the gimbal just to keep the GoPro stationary when it's off, then pull it out when you want to film. I'm ok with the way my gimbal moves around while climbing though, it's not terrible. Yours may be a bit different though.

Maybe you can cut something out of a swimming pool noodle, a little block to push in there to keep it still, something easy to move when needed.

Good suggestions. I actually have a foam noodle I packed out of the canyon last year that someone had left behind (why or why?). I'll play around a bit.
    Are we there yet?

My first foray with the new gimbal. I think I got the view framed about right- just a little bit of handlebar and no knees. Looking at the gimbal while riding it looked like it was tracking too slow around the corners but, after looking at the video it's not that bad. So smooooth! I hate the motor noise, though. Guess I'll have to start dubbing some music, even though I prefer the natural ride sounds.

Are we there yet?

10. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Cool, yeah I thought the framing was good. The corners seemed alright too. Our eyes are going to be turning around the corner before the gimbal does, because the bike hasn't started to turn yet.

How did it feel while riding?

It felt fine. I'm used to having the camera mounted on my chest already, so I didn't really notice much difference.
    Are we there yet?

13. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Blog Entries
    So I'm joining half-way through the thread here, but it looks like a good option for mountain biking...however, I have the GoPro Karma Grip and was wondering how this compares to that. Any idea?

I'm wanting to do more mountain-biking this year at Park City and SnowBasin (along with the Whole Enchilada again) and film those rides. I should mention that I have the GoPro 7 too.

Full Vertigo trail with gimbal from yesterday afternoon. I could have framed it better but, it's hard to get it right because once you sit on the bike and start going downhill the angle can change from what you think is right. It's all a guess. Still turned out OK I think.

Are we there yet?

16. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    So I'm joining half-way through the thread here, but it looks like a good option for mountain biking...however, I have the GoPro Karma Grip and was wondering how this compares to that. Any idea?

I'm wanting to do more mountain-biking this year at Park City and SnowBasin (along with the Whole Enchilada again) and film those rides. I should mention that I have the GoPro 7 too.
    I ride with the Karma Grip, I started out with the GoPro 5 and now I've got the 7. People say you don't need the gimbal with the 7 but I still like it. I've found the Karma Grip to be the most steady. I think it might be because of the weight too, you're wearing this big long weight that moves around less on the bumps, I would assume.

Honestly on a lot of my ride footage I watch afterwards, the horizon doesn't even move a single pixel. Sometimes it will tilt, that's normal with all gimbals, but I've been super happy with the Karma Grip, and even more so with the GoPro 7 in the gimbal, for super steady shots.

It does stick out though, and it is heavy, but I'm used to it. I can quickly look down and it's out far enough that I can see the screen to see if my horizon is 1/3 down as it should be. Plus if I want to take it off and film somebody riding by, or do something stupid like stick it in a rattlesnake's face LOL then I have a great handheld camera.

But it's expensive and heavy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I ride with the Karma Grip, I started out with the GoPro 5 and now I've got the 7. People say you don't need the gimbal with the 7 but I still like it. I've found the Karma Grip to be the most steady. I think it might be because of the weight too, you're wearing this big long weight that moves around less on the bumps, I would assume.

Honestly on a lot of my ride footage I watch afterwards, the horizon doesn't even move a single pixel. Sometimes it will tilt, that's normal with all gimbals, but I've been super happy with the Karma Grip, and even more so with the GoPro 7 in the gimbal, for super steady shots.

It does stick out though, and it is heavy, but I'm used to it. I can quickly look down and it's out far enough that I can see the screen to see if my horizon is 1/3 down as it should be. Plus if I want to take it off and film somebody riding by, or do something stupid like stick it in a rattlesnake's face LOL then I have a great handheld camera.

But it's expensive and heavy.
    Cool. Thanks for the reply on that. Good to know that I don’t need to buy something expensive for it.

So now I’m curious, how exactly do you wear it while riding? I’m sure there is a mount for it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I'll say this though, where the GoPro 7 without the gimbal can be an advantage in some shots;

Sometimes you'll hit a steep section down and the gimbal will keep the camera looking at the horizon, so you won't see some of the steep trail ground in the footage. The GoPro 7 will be smooth enough and will follow your body movement and will get those different angled trails

20. Likes jman liked this post
    Cool. Thanks for the reply on that. Good to know that I don’t need to buy something expensive for it.

So now I’m curious, how exactly do you wear it while riding? I’m sure there is a mount for it...

I'm wearing it on the chest mount harness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm wearing it on the chest mount harness.
    Hmm..it sounds like I need a different one. The one I have currently (some off-brand one) doesn’t have a spot for the Grip.

What do you use?

●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Hmm..it sounds like I need a different one. The one I have currently (some off-brand one) doesn’t have a spot for the Grip.

What do you use?

No it's the same mount that holds a GoPro. The Grip comes with a little ring that clamps around the grip, and mounts into the GoPro mount on the harness.

This ring

So you can also mount the grip onto a monopod for extended hand held shots too. Anywhere you can mount a GoPro, you can mount the karma grip

So it almost looks like this when mounted. Except this guy has a shorter battery / handle

Blog Entries
    Ohhh.....

I see.

So nevermind then, I do have all of that! I was thinking some weird contraption. Guess not.

Thanks for the quick tutorial!

"SEND IT, BRO!!"

27. Likes Sombeech liked this post