Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What annoyed you at work today?

What annoyed you at work today?

I’ll kick this off..

I do a lot of meetings online and they can be kinda awkward. You never know when somebody else is about to talk, so you end up talking over each other all the time. There are technical difficulties from people who should never be allowed to turn on a computer.

Stuff like in this video happens all the time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

My pet peeve almost any day at work is mostly just one thing:

Whiney Bitches
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

4. Likes accadacca liked this post
    One of my necessary approvers (Engineering ) "approved" - contingent upon a totally different department's approval (Maintenance) !! These two departments to not report to each other - they report separately to a higher level person. Its happened with others as well. They do not recognize that they are not responsible for the universe of our organization.

6. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Apparently nobody else on Bogley works.

I love my job, I own the company, I have complete freedom and control to do as I please.... I don't get annoyed at work... I'm the one that does the annoying.

Do a job that you truly love and you'll never work a day in your life.

It's good to be the king.

My biggest annoyance I had today was an 11 year old spilling their root beer float in my lap. They brought me a pop tart at lunch to apologize and I got to wear pajama pants for the rest of the day.

10/10 would do again
    Just 'cause it zips, don't mean it fits

10. Likes accadacca liked this post
    I don't get annoyed very often at work. We are a small software company in American Fork. My commute is a whopping 5 minute drive from my house so, even that isn't annoying. There are only 2 of us who have actual offices with a door. Everyone else is in cubicles. I have a 2nd floor view out my window of Mt. Timp. Unlike the programmers and customer support area on the other side of the office, my side is quiet and fairly peaceful. I get to the office at 7am and leave at 3 (most of our customers are back east) so, I get home home early enough to go do the things I like to do.
    Are we there yet?

I'm a house painter. Right now I'm working on an interior remodel. The guy they hired to rebuild their kitchen has been cutting trim in the living room (skill saws, mitre saw, table saw) instead of outside where there is a patio cover. He's been there about 3 weeks.

He's spewed dust ALL OVER that house...just wiped it out. That crap is like a fine powder. I would have NEVER allowed anyone to cut inside my house, but he's a sissy and the homeowners are as well, letting him get away with it.

I'm working upstairs away from the construction zone in rooms that were "sealed" with tape and plastic but it's always damn near useless...so I'm having to clean up a lot of dust as I go.

Next week, he'll be done and I'll work in the kitchen area...which is actually the kitchen and a very large open great room in one. I told the homeowners that if that knucklehead doesn't clean up the mess, they'll have to pay me to do it. I charge by the hour.

Apparently, they have a "cleaning lady" who's going to come in before I move to that area. We'll see how that goes. I'll take a picture of what I'm up against...post it up tomorrow.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

13. Likes accadacca liked this post
    ^^^ Adventures of TwoTimer...

Looking forward to the pics. They're always epic. Next time make the nudity someone other than yourself.

Dust and painting...that sounds awesome. NOT!

Name:  IMG_0446.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  52.7 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_504.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  23.2 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by twotimer View Post

He's spewed dust ALL OVER that house...just wiped it out. That crap is like a fine powder. I would have NEVER allowed anyone to cut inside my house, but he's a sissy and the homeowners are as well, letting him get away with it.

Apparently, they have a "cleaning lady" who's going to come in before I move to that area. We'll see how that goes. I'll take a picture of what I'm up against...post it up tomorrow.
    Dust-o-rama, baby. I'll be painting the ceiling white, the walls grey and all the trim white as well. All of it.

Hopefully this "cleaning lady" does a decent job...although 8 times out of 10 it's half-assed.

Dust is annoying...contractors that have zero consideration for those following them or even the very people they're working for are even worse. See the plastic and tape around the doors to "keep the dust out"?...it doesn't work when SFB is cutting in the house.

I'll post up a pic of this when I'm done...it'll look awesome.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

17. Likes accadacca liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundan View Post
    One of my clients annoys me today.
    Well said.
    Thanos was right

Finally the remodel of the kitchen is over...so I set up today, starting tomorrow. Looks clean but there's still quite a bit of dust around. Aside from the kitchen, they had new lights installed in the ceiling and cracks in the walls fixed, all those white spots are drywall patches. I'll be painting everything, ceilings, walls and trim. Two coats on everything but the trim. It'll take me 4 days...two days on the trim alone, as those windows, doors and the built-in around the fireplace is quite a bit of work. It'll look awesome when I'm done. I'll post up a pic later this week.

BTW...It'll be a "non-annoying" week, as all the other workers are done and the homeowners are out of town, so I have the place to myself.

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  48.4 KBName:  IMG_0454.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  53.7 KBName:  IMG_0455.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  43.3 KB
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

20. Likes devo_stevo, Iceaxe, accadacca liked this post
    Looks like a nice place.

Are you in charge of the texture? Or are those walls flat - no orange peel, etc. It looks like they have been patched but not textured. Spray or are you rolling it on? (yes, I used to be a painter back in the day. I like to hear how professionals attack certain jobs.)
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Are you in charge of the texture? Or are those walls flat - no orange peel, etc. It looks like they have been patched but not textured. Spray or are you rolling it on? (yes, I used to be a painter back in the day. I like to hear how professionals attack certain jobs.)
    Good eye...the ceilings have "orange peel" texture and the walls are smooth. Usually when you see that, it means there was wallpaper on the walls at one time. Those are big walls...hell of a lot of paper, huh? This whole area is an add on to a house that was built in the 1930s...they told me it was done in the late 70s. Old part of the house in front, this great room, loft, kitchen and attached garage in back.

The only time I ever spray interiors is for acoustic or "popcorn" ceilings, otherwise it's all brush and roll. I use a 14" roller on the walls, which makes short work of it. You can see the big bucket for that roller on the floor. Old school, man! Very few painters out there like me anymore...most of them just send in a subcontracted crew of Mexicans that hang plastic and paper everywhere and spray...very poop prep work and they don't clean anything...just blast the dust and debris right onto the trim and create a fine powder dust that the homeowner will be living with for months. There really is a difference between hand work and spray work, especially interior.

Nah...the work I do is custom, by hand and I'm not cheap...but not stupid expensive either. Well, maybe just a bit, actually. However, I'll end up being among the cheaper of the contractors when it comes to these remodels. Nobody that's good works for cheap anymore. Those days are gone.

I have a friend who's a retired general contractor. He recently bought a 1200sf 1982 condo in a high-rise that needed to be completely gutted. All of his workers from back in the day retired, so he told me "I'm going to hire guys from Craigslist, they're all professionals that just want to make mad money on the side". I told him..."Most likely they're a bunch of bums, you're likely headed for trouble".

Yeah, trouble indeed. He went thru 3 different drywallers, the walls and painting look terrible. The trim carpenter he hired couldn't even manage a proper 45 degree mitre cut. The quality of EVERYTHING in there looks totally amateur, with the exception of the cabinets and countertops. But he's a penny pincher, and all proud of himself that he saved a few bucks...regardless of the headaches and extra time it took. He wouldn't hire me to paint because I'm "too expensive"...so he and his wife did it themselves. They're not painters! And it looks even worse with the lousy texture work..it was supposed to be smooth wall, and it's not.

He and his wife just had the housewarming party last Sunday nite. When he sent me the email invite, he told me not to critique the workmanship...but of course, I busted his chops anyway.
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

That's a beautiful home!! I've got some home improvement projects slated for the next 6 months. Wish I could hire you. You have a similar eye for detail and demand perfection as much as me. Perfectionists are a dying breed these days. It's all slap it up quick and to hell with quality nowadays. Sad.

25. Likes twotimer liked this post
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_51b.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  24.5 KBName:  fullsizeoutput_51a.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  25.1 KB

4 days and it's all done. I detailed this puppy...the only thing I didn't paint were the kitchen cabinets, as they're new. These are repeat customers and they have a lot of work that needs to be done in the old part of the house. They need the exterior done as well. One thing always leads to another...

Been working a lot in the last two months...looking forward to taking most of May off for Utah fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    It all goes slo-mo
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Love the three tone jobs. Well done!
    Life is Good