Thread: Grand Gulch - Collins or Government THs

Grand Gulch - Collins or Government THs

Am planning a return trip to Grand Gulch in early May. Several years ago I explored Kane and out Bullet. Would like to explore Lower Grand Gulch. I do not want to shuttle so will be an out and back trip.

First option is to use the Collins TH and explore down to the Narrows along with the ruins in the general area of the Narrows.
    Second option is to enter via the Government Trail and explore Polly's along with upstream.

Would like feedback on the two options. Number of petroglyphs?, ruins?, water availability?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've gone in on Government Trail, up canyon to Big Man Panel and out Polly's Canyon. We did it as a day trip and it's a really good loop.

Hiking up or down Polly's is a step up in difficulty as there is no established trail and is not for beginner hikers. The good part is Polly's has great ruins that are seldom visited.

My route descriptions give you instructions and waypoints to numerous ruins and rock art, it also includes water sources.

Big Man Pictograph
    https://www.climb-utah.com/CM/bigman.htm

Polly's Canyon
    https://www.climb-utah.com/CM/pollys.htm

4. Likes kiwi_outdoors liked this post
    You can't go wrong hiking that part of the gulch...it's all good. One of my favorite hikes there is to descent the Gov. Trail, head up canyon to the Big Man panel, then turn right around and head back down canyon and exit Deer Canyon back to the car/camp. Nice loop hike.

You'll eat up a solid 8 hours on that one, as there are lots of ruins to see along the way...especially between Gov. Trail and Deer Canyon, right there along the creek.

You'll find a route description of the hike in Mike Kelsey's Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau...you should own that book. Also, they have 7.5 topo maps at the Kane Gulch Ranger Station and whoever is working there can probably give you info on it. Easy access, easy hiking and a lot of bang for the buck.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?