Thread: Where to take the kids backpacking

Where to take the kids backpacking

Hi Bogley! This is my first time writing here. I'm trying to plan some outdoor adventures for this year, and the kids have expressed a willingness to go backpacking with me. I'm looking for suggestions of good places to take them. The ages range from mid-teen to mid-single-digit, so I might plan one trip for the older kids and another for the little ones. We live near Provo, UT, so somewhere in the Wasatch or Uinta mountains would be ideal, but I'm also willing to drive a half day to get somewhere like the Wind Rivers, Tetons, or Sawtooths if I have a good enough reason.

I've been asking the bigger kids questions to get an idea of what they like in a hike. The oldest seems like she is willing to do pretty much anything. The next oldest says that he wants a lot of interesting things on the trail, like water crossings and vantage points and such. The next one says she wants to go on a HARD HIKE; to clarify what she means, last year we went on a little overnight trip of about a mile through forest on a level trail, and then about a mile of trails doing switchbacks up the side of the mountain. She said the level trail was boring, but the hard part going up the mountain was fun.

I'm thinking that I would like to plan what I would consider an intermediate-level hike, maybe about 5 to 10 miles round trip, one or two nights. A good place to go fishing would be nice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Uintas would be my suggestion. Look at the link below for some good ideas.

http://climb-utah.com/Uinta/index.htm

4. Likes Michael Willis liked this post
    I think White Pine Lake, from Tony Grove is a good place to start. 4 miles hike into a nice little lake, spring water, great camping spots. Still close enough to civilization if something goes wrong the first time.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ne-with-my-boy

6. Likes Michael Willis liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I think White Pine Lake, from Tony Grove is a good place to start. 4 miles hike into a nice little lake, spring water, great camping spots. Still close enough to civilization if something goes wrong the first time.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ne-with-my-boy
    That looks like a great place, not too far from home. Where did you get that dog pack? I forgot to mention that we'll likely be taking our doggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Willis View Post
    That looks like a great place, not too far from home. Where did you get that dog pack? I forgot to mention that we'll likely be taking our doggie.
    My wife runs with our dog all the time, has a bunch of trail gear for him from amazon. Get the kind with multiple straps for the chest and body harness, you won't want to keep adjusting the pack on the dog when it leans to one side.

Also, collapseable water bowl for the dog, it can be challenging for some to get them to drink from a bottle or bladder.

Escalante is backpacking heaven...IMHO.

Coyote Gulch

Death Hollow

40 Mile/Willow

Upper Calf Creek

To name a few.

10. Likes Michael Willis liked this post