Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects near Zion and Bryce

  1. #1

    Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects near Zion and Bryce

    SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Trump administration on Thursday announced the approval of two coal mining projects in southern Utah, including one nestled between two national parks in the state's red rock region.

    The U.S. Department of the Interior announced the mining projects in a news release Thursday, declaring "the war on coal is over," touting new jobs the projects will create and saying they will further the administration's goal of "energy dominance."

    A $12 million project to expand a mine run by Alton Coal Development LLC will produce an estimated 2 million tons of coal each year on land about 10 miles (16 kilometers) west of Bryce Canyon National Park and about 25 miles (40 kilometers) northeast of Zion National Park.

    The mine is near the original boundaries of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, but it is not in lands cut from the monument in 2017 by Trump. So far, no coal mining has been done on those lands, according to state officials.

    The other project was for lease modifications at a Sufco mine in Utah's Sevier County in the central part of the state, which the agency says will extend the mine's life by five years. The mine produces about 5 million tons of coal per year and has been in operation since 1941.

    "American coal jobs matter," said acting Interior Secretary David Bernhardt in the news release. "By approving these projects today, we will ensure that these mines are operational for years to come, providing well-paying jobs and affordable energy to the people of Utah."

    The Trump administration's pro-coal policies to date have failed to stop the industry's ongoing slide, as electric utilities across the U.S. continue to turn to cheaper and cleaner alternatives such as natural gas, solar and wind. Coal production nationwide totaled about 750 million tons (680,400 kilograms) in 2018. That's a 3 percent drop from the prior year and down about 35 percent from the industry's 2008 peak.

    "The Interior rhetoric is completely off base," said Jeremy Nichols, climate and energy director at WildEarth Guardians. "There's no war on coal. It's just coal's inability to compete with cleaner and more affordable ways to generate electricity."

    Nichols' organization has opposed the Sufco project all along and is considering a lawsuit to challenge the project, he said.

    The approval to expand the Alton mine near the national parks could impact air quality, clear and dark night skies and pristine quiet for visitors who come from around the world, said Cory MacNulty, associate director for the National Parks Conservation Association's Southwest region. Additional trucks and equipment on the narrow highways used by tourists could also negatively impact their experience, she said.

    "This in the heart of this really incredible protected landscape that draws millions of visitors to Utah," MacNulty said.

    Republican members of Utah's congressional delegation expressed their support for the coal projects in the news release. U.S. Sen. Mitt Romney said "responsible energy development is important to Utah's energy industry and rural economies."

    The Interior forecasts 100 new jobs at the Alton mine.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46491532...ojects-in-utah


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    #Nothingburger

    #Fakenews

    Neither of these "new coal mines" are new. The Coal Hollow Mine "near Zion" is neither new nor close to Zion. Plus it's been in operation for years now.

    The article makes it sound like there's gonna be coal trucks rumbling through Springdale when nothing could be further from the truth. The mine is well off the beaten path, well away from Highway 89. If you're a tourist down that way you have no idea there's even a mine in the vicinity.

    WildEarthGuardians tried to prevent Coal Hollow from getting started but failed. And now that the mine is expanding they're looking to resume their smear campaign.

    This article completely failed to point out a legitimate new coal mine that might start up in Utah in 2019.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  4. #3
    Hard to believe Romney half heartedly endorsed energy. Embarrassed that I supported the bozo back in the day. Fully expect at some point he'll reverse and attack Trump over it.

  5. #4
    Rock nailed it. A big nothing burger. I've done work with both these mines for years. 99.9% of the population doesn't even know these mines exist and would never know if not for the news trying to make the National headlines.

    I despise the way the #FakeNews tries to play this as we told you Trump would mine your National Parks.

  6. Likes Sandstone Addiction, rockgremlin liked this post
  7. #5
    So the KSL headline is completely false?

    “Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects in Utah”

    I have no idea as I don’t work in or keep a pulse on mining. I just saw it and thought it would create some conversation on Bogley and I wanted to hear comments from the Bogley brethren.


  8. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    So the KSL headline is completely false?

    “Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects in Utah”

    I have no idea as I don’t work in or keep a pulse on mining. I just saw it and thought it would create some conversation on Bogley and I wanted to hear comments from the Bogley brethren.
    This is the problem - the masses who rely on the media to get knowledge about things they know little about, and then are fed biased garbage.

    The article Acca posted was an AP (Associated Press) article. I'm not sure where they're getting their information, but it's not correct and clearly biased.

    If the KSL article was stating the same thing as the AP article then yep it's not correct.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  9. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  10. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    So the KSL headline is completely false?

    “Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects in Utah”
    Despite what the mainstream media would have you believe the mining industry is extremely heavily regulated, it's one of the most regulated industries in the US.

    Every few years a mine has to show the government their mine plans and be granted permission to continue mining and that's all that is happening here.

    The article is trying to sell this as a "mine expansion", but by definition any time you continue mining you are expanding the mine.

    #FakeNews

  11. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    So the KSL headline is completely false?

    “Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects in Utah”
    no acca the KSL headline is not completely false since "2 coal mine projects" were approved. and the text in the article in your original post clearly states that these projects are expansions to existing mines and that the mining doesn't occur in national parks.

    rock and ice don't like the different headline in your original post which said "two new coal mines" (which may have been updated after you posted it) and also don't like any mention of proximity to national parks even if they are in the vicinity. shane also doesn't like mention of mining expansion in the news. apparently if mining is to be talked about in the news in needs to be discussed with ultimate discretion.

  13. #9
    Coal mining is even stricter than hard rock mining. In coal mining, any slight change or alteration to the mine plans have to be revised and approved by the State regulatory agency (DOGM). Seriously, if a coal mine wants to build a shed on their property they have to have DOGM approval before they can build. It's crazy.

    DOGM is well aware of any and all activity at both of these properties, and neither of them are doing anything that hasn't already been approved.

    I'm really shocked that they haven't mentioned the BRAND NEW coal mine that is looking to get approved here in Utah...
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  14. Likes stefan liked this post
  15. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    no acca the KSL headline is not completely false since "2 coal mine projects" were approved. and the text in the article in your original post clearly states that these projects are expansions to existing mines and that the mining doesn't occur in national parks.

    rock and ice don't like the different headline in your original post which said "two new coal mines" (which may have been updated after you posted it) and also don't like any mention of proximity to national parks even if they are in the vicinity.
    Concur.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 02-17-2019 at 11:25 AM.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  16. #11

    Trump administration approves 2 coal mining projects near Zion and Bryce

    I took the “new” part out of the title. The rest of the title I think is factual.


  17. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    shane also doesn't like mention of mining expansion in the news. apparently if mining is to be talked about in the news in needs to be discussed with ultimate discretion.
    That's not my bitch at all, but thanks for speaking for me...

    My bitch is in the "Rebel Rousing" that mainstream media is attempting.

    When Kennecott recently recieved approval under the Obama administration to expand the Bingham Mine until 2034 the media barely took notice.

    That was a battleship compared to this little row boat.

    My bitch actually has zero to do with mining. This is just a subject I'm well versed in and can see the rebel rousing. My bitch is that mainstream media no longer reports the news and allows the reader to make an educated decision. But instead the media presents an article and the reader must decide if it is truthful or not.

    All Americans, no matter your political views, should be thoroughly discussed and ashamed of what has become of the fourth estate.


  18. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    That's not my bitch at all, but thanks for speaking for me...

    My bitch is in the "Rebel Rousing" that mainstream media is attempting.

    When Kennecott recently recieved approval under the Obama administration to expand the Bingham Mine until 2034 the media barely took notice.

    That was a battleship compared to this little row boat.

    My bitch actually has zero to do with mining. This is just a subject I'm well versed in and can see the rebel rousing. My bitch is that mainstream media no longer reports the news and allows the reader to make an educated decision. But instead the media presents an article and the reader must decide if it is truthful or not.

    All Americans, no matter your political views, should be thoroughly discussed and ashamed of what has become of the fourth estate.
    trump administration frequently announces a push for expanding mining and energy development on public lands and to open/reopen new lands to energy development.

    the media subsequently reports on these announcements.

    shane complains about the frequency of the reporting by the media and, moreover, doesn’t address what’s factually incorrect about this article.



    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

    When Kennecott recently recieved approval under the Obama administration to expand the Bingham Mine until 2034 the media barely took notice.
    or it did and you didn’t see it. it wouldn’t be the first news reporting you’ve missed.

  19. #14
    Even though the article stated that they're "new coal mining projects" they actually aren't new at all. I've been working with these two companies for the last two years - they're not new. Heck, SUFCO has been in continuous operation since the 1940's - how could it be considered new?

    Just wait until the media gets their teeth into a proposed coal mine that's supposed to come online in Utah this year sometime. It's not an expansion. It is legitimately new, and sure to rustle up controversy.
    Last edited by rockgremlin; 02-17-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  20. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    or it did and you didn’t see it. it wouldn’t be the first news reporting you’ve missed.
    Again... thanks for speaking for me... if you don't mind I'll be happy to speak for myself...

    I know you'll never be able to wrap your liberal brain around this... but it's not in the reporting but in how they report that I'm bitching about.

    The two coal mine story is a big yawn nothing burger... yet it is reported as front page above the fold news as if Trump is strip mining our National Parks.

    The Kennecott 20 year expansion, which I thought at the time was extremely under reported, was buried on page 10 below the fold.

    The difference, because I know you can't see it, is the news is attempting to stir up the tree huggers, rock lickers and climate change crowd and really has little interest in reporting the news.

    In both Utah mining and Utah economics the Kennecott story should have been at least a 90 out of 100, while the recent coal mine story is a 5 or 6 at best.

    Most people in Utah really have little clue on the massive economic impact that Rio Tinto has on the Salt Lake Valley. Probably 1 out of every 10 companies in SLC has ties and depends to some degree on Rio Tinto.

  21. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan View Post
    shane also doesn't like...
    Just a little hint... anytime you assume you know what I think, what I like, or what my values are you're probably WRONG!

    You might have read something I wrote, or heard something I said, but that does not mean you have correctly processed the meaning or understand my values.

    You are free to quote me, but please don't try and speak for me. Thanks.



  22. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    but it's not in the reporting but in how they report that I'm bitching about.
    you've made it pretty clear what you think of the media and how it reports. it's pretty simple really.



    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The two coal mine story is a big yawn nothing burger... yet it is reported as front page above the fold news as if Trump is strip mining our National Parks.
    yeah, you're right. expanding a mine near a national park is information the public shouldn't be aware of. and i'm sure the administration would prefer it not reported on either.

    the media doesn't cater only to shane's scale of relevance, unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The Kennecott 20 year expansion, which I thought at the time was extremely under reported, was buried on page 10 below the fold.

    In both Utah mining and Utah economics the Kennecott story should have been at least a 90 out of 100, while the recent coal mine story is a 5 or 6 at best.

    Most people in Utah really have little clue on the massive economic impact that Rio Tinto has on the Salt Lake Valley. Probably 1 out of every 10 companies in SLC has ties and depends to some degree on Rio Tinto.
    i agree this is important and should be extensively reported on. you still haven't shown this is what happened.


    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The difference, because I know you can't see it, is the news is attempting to stir up the tree huggers, rock lickers and climate change crowd and really has little interest in reporting the news..
    you've made it pretty clear that things look a certain way when you peer through your lens.

  23. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Even though the article stated that they're "new coal mining projects" they actually aren't new at all. I've been working with these two companies for the last two years - they're not new. Heck, SUFCO has been in continuous operation since the 1940's - how could it be considered new?
    they're referring to the "projects" (see quote from the interior secretary which used the term "projects") as new, not the companies/mines. new refers to what's being approved (naturally to get approved something had to have been in the works).

  24. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Just a little hint... anytime you assume you know what I think, what I like, or what my values are you're probably WRONG!
    do keep that in mind ...

  25. #20
    The problem I have with them referencing the National Parks in this article is it's very obviously a scare tactic. They like to claim how close Coal Hollow is to Bryce Canyon, but in reality the mine is something like 15 miles away, and the geography is very rugged throughout that distance. SUWA and WildEarth Guardians would have you believe that you can stand at the visitor's center at Bryce and watch the coal trucks roll down the highway, and that all the sandstone spires are being coated with coal dust. It's all hogwash. I'd like to see just one article from them depicting the mine in an objective light.

    The fact is, in Utah, over 70% of all electricity is produced by a coal plant. Nationally, those numbers are much lower (around 30%), but in Utah coal is still King. So they can piss and moan and publish fake news, but I'm gonna be there to call Bullshit every single time.
    Office Spacing
    verb

    When a worker in a menial, white collar job simply skips a day (or several) without explanation to his boss or coworkers.



  26. Likes Sandstone Addiction, double moo liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. [Help] Hiking Zion, Bryce and Grand Canyon Area
    By Mipkid in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-14-2012, 02:20 AM
  2. Coal Development at the edge of the Staircase and Bryce
    By tanya in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 08:26 AM
  3. Getting Supplies near Zion or Bryce
    By JohnWayne in forum Backpacking & Camping
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-29-2011, 07:11 AM
  4. Bryce or Zion
    By tmartenst in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
  5. a Little Snow - Bryce & Zion
    By Win in forum Hiking, Scrambling & Peak Bagging
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-26-2006, 12:51 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •