Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1969 what car would you buy?

1969 what car would you buy?

If you could go back in time to 1969 what car would you buy?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Had a 69 fastback

BUT Boss 429
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

pretty hard cars to beat, with a 6 pack.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

buddy in high school had one of these with a blower
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

I have one in 1990 until it burned to the ground in my driveway!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

If I was buying the car for me with no consideration to value it would have to be a 1969 Camaro Z-28. A nice example of the car costs about $70,000 today.

It would be in LeMans blue with white stripes. :-)

Or maybe a 1969 Yenko Camaro (worth about $250,000) today.

10. Likes jdn1221 liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Had a 69 fastback

BUT Boss 429
    FWIW: It will cost you $200,000 to buy a nice 429 Boss today :-)

I've long thought the market for these cars is going to seriously depreciate once the boomer gen starts dying off in earnest.

Do Gen Xers have sufficient interest to keep prices up? I doubt Millenials do. Thoughts?

Being the good America hating commie that I am, I would have to consider going across the pond for the Porsche 904

Name:  904.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  32.3 KB

14. Likes devo_stevo, Iceaxe liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by dougrz View Post
    I've long thought the market for these cars is going to seriously depreciate once the boomer gen starts dying off in earnest.

Do Gen Xers have sufficient interest to keep prices up? I doubt Millenials do. Thoughts?
    There are several trains of thoughts on this, one is as you suggest when the boomers are gone so is the value of the cars, at which point someone points out then why are the pre war car prices still sky high? Have you looked at what a 32 Ford Coupe sales for? Try to buy a Stutz Bearcat...

FWIW - Pre and post war (II) is a big dividing line in the classic car world.

Kids now days are still into cars, it's just a different type of car, which is why there are so many WRX with fart cans running around. Kids now days do "meets", which is someone posts a destination on social media and they all show up. My kids are both into cars an do the meet thing.

To quote someone, "It's the economy stupid."

If people are fat and happy we will want toys. And loud, fast cars are always going to be one of those toys. I don't know about your kids, but even my 2 year old loves his toy cars. I'd guess there will always be a strong market for these. Values may drop in recessions (at least in the $50k-$750k market, the $1mm+ market is probably more stable), but they will bounce back,.

Even an avocado toast eating, man bun wearing millennial will still give a shit eating grin if they start up any of the cars in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by uintafly View Post
    Being the good America hating commie that I am, I would have to consider going across the pond for the Porsche 904
    The 904 Porsche is a beautiful car but was built from 1964 to 65, which means by 1969 you would only find one on a used car lot that had been throughly flogged around a racetrack. This is the same problem you would have if you listed a Shelby Cobra. By 69 they had all been raced hard and put away wet. By 69 a 904 was just a 5 year old race car and was treated as such.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The 904 Porsche is a beautiful car but was built from 1964 to 65, which means by 1969 you would only find one on a used car lot that had been throughly flogged around a racetrack. This is the same problem you would have if you listed a Shelby Cobra. By 69 they had all been raced hard and put away wet. By 69 a 904 was just a 5 year old race car and was treated as such.
    True, but if you bought one in 1969 and kept it nice, you could sell it today for about $2,500,000. I know, I know, that breaks the rules of no thought of cost.

The other downside of course is no room in the backseat to have fun with the ladies.

As and old racer I can tell you there were no nice 904's for sale by 69. They had used up their life on a National stage and were now in the hands of club racers. The idea of restoring a 904 or Cobra in 69 was still 20 years into the future.

If you were buying a car based on valuation just pick any Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Kids now days are still into cars, it's just a different type of car, which is why there are so many WRX with fart cans running around. Kids now days do "meets", which is someone posts a destination on social media and they all show up. My kids are both into cars an do the meet thing.
    I hope you're right. But I'm seeing a significant increase in anti-auto sentiment on environmental grounds. When you have Al Gore declare years ago that the internal combustion engine was the worst invention of all time (or whatever he said exactly), and with that being the tenet of public schooling, you know a sea change is coming. Looking at the millenials in my family, the number of boys interested in cars is unthinkably low.

As a millennial and a regular attendee of car meets (hello, nice to meet you, I am Iceaxe Jr.) There is still plenty of interest in cars. Right now most of the kids my age are into the JDM scene. Millenials want cars that they can "tune" (mod the shit out of). A Toyota Supra or Skyline R-34 GTR are the dream car to own. An STI or Evo are probably next on the list.

Once the weather warms up, come out to one of the meets. You'll see everything from a beat to shit Honda Civic with a backwards wing on it to a brand new Corvette. There's also a lot of guys with heavily modified JDM cars that are really cool to see.

I myself drive a 17 Mustang GT. I get a lot of heckling at the meets for it being "heavy and slow" but I sleep well at night knowing my car will sell for double what theirs will when I'm done with it.

Keep in mind that millenials's taste in cars comes from The Fast and the Furious and Need for Speed Underground. Those came out when we were preteens and that's all we wanted.

22. Likes stefan liked this post
    This 69 Mustang looks pretty good to me.

24. Likes Sandstone Addiction, oldno7 liked this post
    HURRY- only 2+hrs left

https://www.ebay.com/itm/273723848133
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Who Is John Galt?