Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Vaping vs Smoking Cigarettes

  1. #1

    Vaping vs Smoking Cigarettes

    This was a surprising clip to watch, showing a controversial point of view about vaping that it's much less harmful than smoking. Cigarettes and Vaping are all about delivering the Nicotine, which from this video, sounds like it's not much different than caffeine on the drug scale.

    But it's all about how that Nicotine is delivered, either via inhaling burnt paper and tobacco, this scientist makes a pretty convincing claim that Nicotine is delivered in a much harmless way compared to Cigarettes.

    All of those other harmful chemicals you hear about, come from the Cigarettes and not eCigs.

    What do you think?


  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  3. #2
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    This was a surprising clip to watch, showing a controversial point of view about vaping that it's much less harmful than smoking. Cigarettes and Vaping are all about delivering the Nicotine, which from this video, sounds like it's not much different than caffeine on the drug scale.

    But it's all about how that Nicotine is delivered, either via inhaling burnt paper and tobacco, this scientist makes a pretty convincing claim that Nicotine is delivered in a much harmless way compared to Cigarettes.

    All of those other harmful chemicals you hear about, come from the Cigarettes and not eCigs.

    What do you think?

    Don't give a shit what he says. It is bad for you and they went after the teen market and rather successfully. All the effort to deter kids from nicotine went out the door the day ecigs were marketed freely and however they felt necessary. I have rather strong feelings about this bs ecig nonsense. I honestly can't even be rational about it.

    Besides they look ridiculous blowing all that vape out of their mouths. I hate the smell. Hate that people think it is okay to vape in public where smoking is not allowed. The vape is heavy and sinks slowly onto everything! Residue is gross.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'




  4. Likes Sandstone Addiction, Iceaxe liked this post
  5. #3
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    locked, loaded and ready to rock!
    Posts
    2,804
    Super hate that sickly sweet smell of Vape! Flat billers and Millenials truly think they look cool blasting out huge clouds of vape!
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

    The random world and adventures of BruteForce

  6. Likes blueeyes liked this post
  7. #4
    As convincing as her case was, I kept in mind that maybe she's a user herself so her strong scientific conclusions can also be biased.

    She did have a valid point though, where states are banning eCigs, it just pushes people to actual Cigarettes. So we've got to keep that in mind. As stupid as Vaping looks, it's better than smoking. On the other hand though, it can be seen as a popular culture to some, but so was smoking in the 60s and 70s.

  8. #5
    All i know if that every time I see smoke billowing out of someone's car window, I wish I had a hose to put the fire out.

  9. Likes accadacca, BruteForce, blueeyes liked this post
  10. #6
    We call it a douche flute

    I'm definitely not a fan of Vaping and I'm sure it has attracted some users that wouldn't have been smoking Cigarettes at all. But I'm sure there is a large portion of Vapers that would be smoking Cigarettes instead.

    As for the health and damage, I've heard for years and years that Vaping is far more dangerous, but when I think back on those claims, it seems to be the same repeated statistic over and over again. I've got to wonder what portion of that is actually true, and not from some scare campaign.

    The chemicals contained in Cigarettes and Vaping are easily measured and studied, but it seems we keep hearing the same statistic that Vaping is X amount more dangerous than Cigarettes, and I think we are starting to see that's not quite the case. It's really just the Nicotine the users are after, and there's no need to add the other chemicals that come from burnt fumes from Tobacco and Paper. So it would seem that Vaping has less of a health concern, but she does admit the studies of long term effects are far from conclusive.


  11. Likes BruteForce liked this post
  12. #7
    I'll add this little valid point also, that many of the harmful chemicals and effects come from burning the plant and paper, then inhaling.

    How much of these same harmful effects happen by burning a different plant and paper and also inhaling? Say.... like Marijuana? Sure there's a difference between the physical plant of Marijuana and Tobacco leaf, but when you ignite and inhale burning fumes, please tell me how it converts to this miracle of medicine. Oils and residue, non burnt products are a different story though.

  13. #8
    Marketed cigarettes use different paper to roll their product. They also add a bunch of crap in there to enhance the experience - ie ensure that the tobacco burns evenly and doesn't flame out, etc. The rolling papers used to roll up a joint don't have all that crap.

    I too believe that vaping is safer than cigarettes for the reasons you listed above. It just makes logical sense.
    #NotMyVirus

  14. #9
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    We call it a douche flute

    I'm definitely not a fan of Vaping and I'm sure it has attracted some users that wouldn't have been smoking Cigarettes at all. But I'm sure there is a large portion of Vapers that would be smoking Cigarettes instead.

    As for the health and damage, I've heard for years and years that Vaping is far more dangerous, but when I think back on those claims, it seems to be the same repeated statistic over and over again. I've got to wonder what portion of that is actually true, and not from some scare campaign.

    The chemicals contained in Cigarettes and Vaping are easily measured and studied, but it seems we keep hearing the same statistic that Vaping is X amount more dangerous than Cigarettes, and I think we are starting to see that's not quite the case. It's really just the Nicotine the users are after, and there's no need to add the other chemicals that come from burnt fumes from Tobacco and Paper. So it would seem that Vaping has less of a health concern, but she does admit the studies of long term effects are far from conclusive.

    Attracted "some"..... have you actually looked around at how many 25 and younger are vaping?

    I worked at WSU 8 years ago and hardly saw anyone smoking up here. That goes for when I was a student and as an employee. I walk around campus now and can't walk from the top of campus to the bottom with out seeing a dozen or more students sucking on their vape pacifier. Or one neatly tucked in a back pocket, or on top of the books they carry.

    Vape devices have significantly increased the number of people utilizing nicotine.

    Fine I don't care if adults do. But this was done very underhanded and on the down low because those nicotine producing giants know the way to hook someone is when they are kids. That is what infuriates me.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'




  15. Likes BruteForce, devo_stevo liked this post
  16. #10
    When I was working in the High Schools, we had a presentation given to the staff about eCigs, the new emerging threat. This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and how the long term effects were unknown. It was a valid point to concern a lot of people, we just don't know what the effects are from this new trend.

    I also heard about the marketing to kids, and I'll admit I don't know much about that. I don't even know how old you need to be to buy one, I assume it's 18 or 21? As for the marketing techniques, I wasn't aware of any actual advertising campaigns, I just started seeing them everywhere and I assume the kids saw this new popular smoke machine. I recall hearing or seeing ads bragging about getting the "perfect puff" but I can't remember if that was from radio, internet, tv or where that was from. What is the main advertisement strategy for eCigs? I just thought it was the new thing, so the popularity growth was organic.

  17. #11
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    When I was working in the High Schools, we had a presentation given to the staff about eCigs, the new emerging threat. This was maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and how the long term effects were unknown. It was a valid point to concern a lot of people, we just don't know what the effects are from this new trend.

    I also heard about the marketing to kids, and I'll admit I don't know much about that. I don't even know how old you need to be to buy one, I assume it's 18 or 21? As for the marketing techniques, I wasn't aware of any actual advertising campaigns, I just started seeing them everywhere and I assume the kids saw this new popular smoke machine. I recall hearing or seeing ads bragging about getting the "perfect puff" but I can't remember if that was from radio, internet, tv or where that was from. What is the main advertisement strategy for eCigs? I just thought it was the new thing, so the popularity growth was organic.
    From a marketing stand point your best advertisement is word of mouth. The didn't directly advertise to the kids but let us add fruity flavors to our shit. Get it on the market before there are any regulations.

    And why on earth would you think age of 18 or 21 has anything to do with a kids ability to get their hands on an ecig paraphernalia? Did age ever stop you from getting alcohol? I know I drank more from 12-18 then I ever did after. And I never bought any of it.

    There are ads all of the time on the radio and in magazines. I notice because the whole thing really pisses me off. Like I said I am probably not rational in discussing this particular hot button.

    Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Chere'




  18. #12
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    https://www.thetruth.com/articles/vi...e?gclsrc=aw.ds


    Smoking is still the leading cause of death in the US, killing more Americans each year than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, murders, suicides, drugs, and fires combined. So, yeah… a lot of things are safer than smoking.


    https://www.drugabuse.gov/publicatio...s-e-cigarettes

    E-cigarettes are popular among teens and are now the most commonly used form of tobacco among youth in the United States. Their easy availability, alluring advertisements, various e-liquid flavors, and the belief that they're safer than cigarettes have helped make them appealing to this age group. Further, a study of high school students found that one in four teens reported using e-cigarettes for dripping, a practice in which people produce and inhale vapors by placing e-liquid drops directly onto heated atomizer coils. Teens reported the following reasons for dripping: to create thicker vapor (63.5 percent), to improve flavors (38.7 percent), and to produce a stronger throat hit—a pleasurable feeling that the vapor creates when it causes the throat to contract (27.7 percent).2 More research is needed on the risks of this practice.

    https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/21/pod-mods-vaping-nicotine-addiction/

    A few years ago, I and many of my colleagues who have cared for people with tobacco-related diseases breathed a sigh of relief as we watched smoking rates decline. That relief has dissipated as electronic cigarettes, or vaping, sweeps through middle and high schools. We won’t know the full extent of vaping’s health consequences until it’s too late, but we can expect to see a tsunami of related diseases in 20 or 30 years.
    Chere'




  19. #13
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6745a5.htm?s_cid=mm6745a5_w

    Among high school students, current e-cigarette use increased from 1.5% (220,000 students) in 2011 to 20.8% (3.05 million students) in 2018 (p<0.001) (Figure). During 2017–2018, current e-cigarette use increased by 78% (from 11.7% to 20.8%, p<0.001). The proportion of current e-cigarette users who reported use on ≥20 of the past 30 days increased from 20.0% in 2017 to 27.7% in 2018 (p = 0.008). Among high school students, during 2017–2018, current use of any flavored e-cigarettes increased among current e-cigarette users (from 60.9% to 67.8%, p = 0.02); current use of menthol- or mint-flavored e-cigarettes increased among all current e-cigarette users (from 42.3% to 51.2%, p = 0.04) and current exclusive e-cigarette users (from 21.4% to 38.1%, p = 0.002).

    Among middle school students, current e-cigarette use increased from 0.6% in 2011 (60,000 students) to 4.9% (570,000 students) in 2018 (p<0.001) (Figure). During 2017–2018, current e-cigarette use increased by 48% (from 3.3% to 4.9%, p = 0.001); the proportion of current e-cigarette users who reported use on ≥20 days of the past 30 days did not significantly change (from 12.9% to 16.2%, p = 0.26).
    Current use of any tobacco product among high school students was 24.2% (3.69 million students) in 2011 and 27.1% (4.04 million students) in 2018 (p>0.05) (Figure). Current use of any tobacco product among middle school students was 7.5% (870,000 students) in 2011 and 7.2% (840,000 students) in 2018 (p>0.05). During 2017–2018, overall tobacco product use increased by 38% among high school students (from 19.6% to 27.1%, p<0.001) and by 29% among middle school students (from 5.6% to 7.2%, p = 0.008).
    Current e-cigarette use increased considerably among U.S. middle and high school students during 2017–2018, reversing a decline observed in recent years and increasing overall tobacco product use (3). Moreover, during 2017–2018, frequent e-cigarette use increased among high school students.


    RIDICULOUS!!! I need to go simmer down.

    Chere'




  20. #14
    They start by vaping and then what comes next? Pretty obvious...


  21. #15
    Basin Cruiser BasinCruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    On a mountain, somewhere.
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreywalton View Post
    vaping dude is cool and a great way to quit smoking

    I never vaped dude. What is that like? I hear it’s platinum.
    "Where there is no law, there is no opportunity, where there is no justice, there is no liberty, where there is no safety, there is no future."

  22. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreywalton View Post
    vaping dude is cool and a great way to quit smoking
    OK I let you go for a bit to give you a chance, time to throw the ban hammer

  23. #17
    ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    busting my ass
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    OK I let you go for a bit to give you a chance, time to throw the ban hammer
    Ooh the power...

    Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Chere'




  24. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by blueeyes View Post
    Ooh the power...
    I was flexing in the mirror

  25. Likes blueeyes liked this post

Similar Threads

  1. Anti-smoking sign from 1915
    By accadacca in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-09-2010, 08:34 AM
  2. Smoking IS Bad For Your Health In More Ways Than One
    By JP in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-21-2008, 07:42 AM
  3. Meat Smoking...
    By Jaxx in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 05:52 PM
  4. Breathing Utah air could be as bad as taking up smoking
    By asdf in forum Environmental Issues
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-12-2007, 12:43 AM
  5. ban outdoor smoking in davis county?
    By stefan in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 09-24-2007, 11:32 PM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •