Thread: Camping (overland-ish)

Camping (overland-ish)

For those of you who enjoy getting into the back country via dirt roads, and then doing day hikes, I have a question.

Have you ever been car-camper persons using 1 or 2 tents (not rooftop tent, not trailer tent) , and then wished for a bit more convenience and less dust, less wind in camp etc - and then bought some sort of a camping trailer - only to regret the purchase (if so - why did you regret it).

Reason I ask is that I would like a little more confort in camp, but wife and I (at 67-68 years old) tend to go where we go in our travels, and towing a trailer ruiins the spontaneity and limits the road types (deeply rutted, for instance) - and good trailers ain't cheap. $ spent on a trailer can buy a lot of motel nights (every so often, in between camps).

So what say ye?

On a side note - wife disparages Teardrops - why pay all that $ and still have to cook outside. I agree with her. The true teardrops only offer a bed and an outside kitchen - not much point to them other than keeping out sand and wind and rain.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    We have a small group that does overland type trips.

I have a shell on the back of my tacoma, I can drop the tailgate, leave the shell rear window up and drop a canvas tarp over that.

It gives just enough legroom for me(5,11")

Very quick to set up, very quick to take down, allows room for lots of gear.

In bad weather, we have cooked in the back of the truck(under the shell) as well, otherwise, we have a small table for outside cooking.

The others use use ground tents of varying degrees.

I can make and break camp in minutes, the others take considerably more time.

I also have a rack on top of my shell to pack things you don't want in your bedding and food, such as oil,gas, antifreeze, water,etc.

Whatever you do, keep simple and fast as your set up break down criteria and you'll be drinking beer while others toil in the heat or cold.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I'm kinda getting tired of tent camping, too. I've been toying with the idea of putting a pop up cabover on my truck. My choices being one by Hallmark or Four Wheel Campers.

To me, this is the best way to go if you want to get into the backcountry and camp. Quite comfortably.

I'd spend $25 Grand on the one I want. Thankfully, I already have the truck.

Trailers are a whole lot cheaper than that, but they're tough to get in on moderate rough roads and that'll limit ya.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    We have a small group that does overland type trips.

I have a shell on the back of my tacoma, I can drop the tailgate, leave the shell rear window up and drop a canvas tarp over that.

It gives just enough legroom for me(5,11")

Very quick to set up, very quick to take down, allows room for lots of gear.

In bad weather, we have cooked in the back of the truck(under the shell) as well, otherwise, we have a small table for outside cooking.

The others use use ground tents of varying degrees.

I can make and break camp in minutes, the others take considerably more time.

I also have a rack on top of my shell to pack things you don't want in your bedding and food, such as oil,gas, antifreeze, water,etc.

Whatever you do, keep simple and fast as your set up break down criteria and you'll be drinking beer while others toil in the heat or cold.
    I was just gonna suggest this. I get out a lot with my job, and I used to set up and tear down a tent in the back country but quickly realized how much time and effort was being wasted on that so I switched to "shell camping" as you describe here. Granted, you sacrifice some comfort, but the time saved and hassle spared makes it all worth it.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

We recently visited the 4Wheel factory showroom and backlot in Woodland, CA. They are nice - but all truck campers make me feel like I am in jail. We also looked at a small "Aliner" hard trailer, interesting, but it still has all the issues associated with dragging around a trailer. Other trailer styles either get $$ or heavy very quickly. We use a 2008 Jeep Liberty (SUV) - great for exploring because its got excellent 4WD/Hi/Lo and traction control that locks free-spinning wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_outdoors View Post
    We recently visited the 4Wheel factory showroom and backlot in Woodland, CA. They are nice - but all truck campers make me feel like I am in jail.
    The Hallmark has big windows. Lack of visibility is a downside with the 4W models...but they're a bit smaller and lighter.

Maybe just find a trailer that you can beef up. I've seen a few of those around...beefed up axle, brakes and tires. Maybe Google "beefed up trailers" to get some ideas. Heck, I think I'll do that right now.
    Suddenly my feet are feet of mud
    It all goes slo-mo
    I don't know why I am crying
    Am I suspended in Gaffa?

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've dragged this thing into the back country more times than I can count. Clearly overkill for what's being asked, but this works quite nicely for me. All the comforts of home; Internet, SAT-TV, etc.

This photo from yesterday and my static location for the next 6 days!

2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

We have just a mini size trailer but if we know we would pass by an off road trail then we don't bring it. We have this tent https://www.jeepsareus.com/sku/82209878.html and we just attach it to our truck. Maybe you can also bring something just like this so you and your partner can still enjoy having adventures without worrying you big trailer.

Yes, you can have your cake and eat it too. We recently bought an Aliner Scout (low profile version) and use it for a base camp. We gave it a lift ("spring over axle"), and also lifted the Jeep Liberty 2" (JBA's OME lift kit). We still get to explore down gnarly bake roads and drive to remote trailheads, then come back to"home" after a day exploring. Aliner has 200W PV system, and two 105AH batteries, and propane heat and cooking. When folded down for travel, we can see over it in our rear view mirror. WE should have done this years ago.

11. Likes oldno7 liked this post